Aldeer.com

Turkey Gun Mods

Posted By: StateLine

Turkey Gun Mods - 01/01/15 05:50 PM

A while back I picked up a Mossberg 500 20 gauge black synthetic stock with a 22" barrel pretty cheap. I would like to build me a little jam up turkey gun. How about giving me some ideas and advice on the mods I can make?
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/01/15 05:57 PM

If it's a youth model I'd put an adjustable stock on it. Have it dipped or cerakoted. Burris FF3 or similar sight. Chokes and TSS. A sling. That's about all I can think of. Chokes and TSS would give you the best performance upgrade of all
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/01/15 07:56 PM

As Crenshawco said and add a trigger job.

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/01/15 08:08 PM

Yep forgot a trigger job but that's another nice upgrade
Posted By: blade

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/01/15 08:44 PM

Stateline, you could set up that empty office to load TSS!
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/01/15 08:47 PM

All I would do is camo it and find a choke/shell combo that it shoots well.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/01/15 09:12 PM

I bought an 870 compact, a few weeks ago that looked like this
For less than 100$ it now looks like this

Bottomland wrap
Tru glo pro gobble dot sights
Claw sling
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 11:24 AM

First thing I'm doing to mine is putting on a stock with a pistol grip....regular stock seems to put my wrist at a weird angle when sitting and cramps after a while. Pistol grip stock seems a lot more comfortable.

Second mod will be having the whole thing dipped, probably in bottomland
Posted By: SpringStrut

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 06:08 PM

Gomer Pyle I did the pistol grip on mine for the same reason and liked the way it felt shooting it but that pistol grip on there made the gun really uncomfortable to carry around. I ended up selling that stock and went with a Boyd's thumbhole and have no complaints now. Try a tactical sling if you go that route, I kept the same sling mounts you would typically have.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SpringStrut
Gomer Pyle I did the pistol grip on mine for the same reason and liked the way it felt shooting it but that pistol grip on there made the gun really uncomfortable to carry around. I ended up selling that stock and went with a Boyd's thumbhole and have no complaints now. Try a tactical sling if you go that route, I kept the same sling mounts you would typically have.

I feel the same way. I do t have a thumbhole anymore but just didn't care for the pistol grip.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 08:15 PM

Uncomfortable in what way?

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 08:22 PM

That was a concern of mine when I put my pistol grip on too, but the pistol grip goes between my body and arm when I carry it. I actually keep my and on the pistol grip there a lot when I walk. After having one for a couple of years, I don't think I'll ever have a turkey gun without one
Posted By: Stob

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 08:23 PM

Yes, those straight up and down pistol grips always looked kinda awkward to carry around.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 09:31 PM

I never have liked the thumbhole or pistol grip stocks. I use a Browning X-cellerator sling. I carry my shotgun across my back when walking. When I setup, I can slide the sling tight against the gun out of the way. I can swing my gun and not worry about it hanging on something.

Set it up so it fits the way you like to hunt.
Posted By: SpringStrut

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/02/15 11:25 PM

Where the bottom of the grip came out would poke my side, just felt akward to carry. Mine was a Phoenix Arms kick-lite. The other thing I had trouble with was the cheek slap when u shot. I tried an after market comb and it did help but I just went a different route. The one thing I did love about it besides the adjustable stock and the way it looked was the recoil reducer spring. It felt like it took 50% of the recoil out of that Moss 835 while patterning it. Didn't notice it while shooting a turkey.

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/03/15 01:02 AM

That's not a bad idea Blade.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep them coming.

I've looked a little bit for a replacement pistol grip or thumb hole stock but it looks like most are for a 12 gauge model 500.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/03/15 03:36 AM

Where the bottom of the grip came out would poke my side, just felt akward to carry. Mine was a Phoenix Arms kick-lite. The other thing I had trouble with was the cheek slap when u shot. I tried an after market comb and it did help but I just went a different route. The one thing I did love about it besides the adjustable stock and the way it looked was the recoil reducer spring. It felt like it took 50% of the recoil out of that Moss 835 while patterning it. Didn't notice it while shooting a turkey.

Lop can cause cheek slap. I had a gun that it was horrible on. It would bruise my cheek every time I shot it. Its gone
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/03/15 09:37 AM

Look at Knoxx stocks. I have the specops recoil reducing stock. Helps tame the Nitro's. Look at Rhino chokes.

I have been toying with idea of putting a single point sling with attachment point at base of receiver. That way could carry gun in a position that you could actually deploy weapon quickly. But, gonna have to have short barrel for that to work..

I use a scope, rest of these goober guzzlers think that is blasphemy.

Getting gun dipped very good idea
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/03/15 01:01 PM

Burris fastfire 3 and a good trigger job I think are the 2 best upgrades to a turkey gun.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/03/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: StateLine
That's not a bad idea Blade.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep them coming.

I've looked a little bit for a replacement pistol grip or thumb hole stock but it looks like most are for a 12 gauge model 500.
ATI makes one that fits it. I've got one on my 500 20. Carries just fine with a sling too. No discomfort. The LOP is not adjustable though. I dont worry about that part though. I dont like the way my cheek weld feels on an adjustable LOP pistol grip stock.

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/12/15 10:27 PM

Does anyone know where I could find a synthetic thumb hole stock to fit my Mossberg 500 20 gauge? I'm having trouble locating a company that makes or sells them. I have saw some for 12 gauge but not 20.
Posted By: hambone007

Re: Turkey Gun Mods - 01/13/15 12:10 PM

I hear ya stateline.. You got an extra 20 ga laying around your old buddy hambone will take it off your hands .... Can't afford a new one like u
© 2024 ALDEER.COM