Aldeer.com

Tristar turkey gun experience?

Posted By: crocker

Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 02:13 PM

Anybody have currently use one of these. Any input?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 04:31 PM

My buddy uses one and likes it.
Posted By: quickshot

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 04:44 PM

Buddy has one loves it but he's also had to send it off twice and fixing to be a third time for repairs all same thing
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 05:23 PM

That’s a good looking scatter gun
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 09:37 PM

I have the 20 and .410. Like them both.
Posted By: hyco

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 10:06 PM

I have the 410 and love it
Posted By: Beak_Buster

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 11:17 PM

I had this same gun and liked the way it patterned but didn’t care for the pistol grip, I picked up a the regular version and had it dipped. It patterns really well with the factory extended turkey choke and hand loads. I do prefer my youth 870 over this gun just for the shorter compact length.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/08/24 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by therealhojo

Originally Posted by hyco

I bought my daughter the .410 for Christmas and I’m disappointed in the results. What choke/shell combo are y'all using and and if you put it to paper, what kind of numbers do you get? Gun looks and feels great. My yildiz o/u with factory full shoots way better patterns

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/09/24 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by foldemup

Originally Posted by hyco

I bought my daughter the .410 for Christmas and I’m disappointed in the results. What choke/shell combo are y'all using and and if you put it to paper, what kind of numbers do you get? Gun looks and feels great. My yildiz o/u with factory full shoots way better patterns

I have the Carlson’s and shoot APEX Ninga. I never counted the shot but at 40yds there were plenty. I shot Federal TSS and it wasn’t the same. I have heard that Federal changed the wad and it has made a huge difference.
Posted By: Treelimb

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/09/24 01:41 AM

I’ve got a 20ga Raptor Youth w24” barrel. Turkey killer and I can shoot skeet with it pretty fair.
Heavy loads no problem, light loads just make sure it’s on your shoulder or it may jam.
Posted By: jsubrett6

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/09/24 03:27 AM

I’ve used the 20 ga for a couple of seasons with no issues. Patterns great with apex 9s and a Carlson .555.
Posted By: gog1015

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/10/24 12:49 AM

I have the 410 and it has been great, we have killed four with it out to 37 yards, with tss 9.5. Jeb’s choke
Posted By: StateLine

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/10/24 02:50 AM

I have one exactly like the one pictured in 20 gauge. This is my 3rd season with it and I love it.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/10/24 05:11 PM

This particular gun is a 3" 12ga with Jebs ported choke. tempted and didnt know anything about them.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/10/24 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by crocker
This particular gun is a 3" 12ga with Jebs ported choke. tempted and didnt know anything about them.

So it was for sale and you were thinking about buying it? If that is the case, I have an opinion on the stock that you should consider. Personally, I do not like a pistol grip stock on a turkey gun. If you walk like I do, that grip is poking you in the kidney with every step and it sucks when you need to run, crawl, climb, jump, or cross barriers.
Posted By: jsubrett6

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/10/24 07:50 PM

I love a pistol grip on a turkey gun. It’s not uncomfortable at all for me to carry.
Posted By: SEWoodsWhitetail

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/11/24 01:12 AM

My brother had a catastrophic failure within the first probably 10 shots.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/11/24 03:47 PM

So it was for sale and you were thinking about buying it? If that is the case, I have an opinion on the stock that you should consider. Personally, I do not like a pistol grip stock on a turkey gun. If you walk like I do, that grip is poking you in the kidney with every step and it sucks when you need to run, crawl, climb, jump, or cross barriers.

Yes, I was looking at buying it to have a turkey only setup
Posted By: AC870

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/13/24 10:09 PM

I’m hunting with a second hand Tristar Raptor 12-ga. this year and enjoying it. I mounted a Konus Pro 1.5-5 scope on it. Previous owner had it outfitted with a Carlson’s .675 choke.
I like the set up and think it’ll make a jam-up thicket deer gun too.
It doesn’t like to cycle 1 Oz. Dove loads. But cycles the heavy stuff fine.
I do wonder how a kind of “off brand” gun holds up over the long haul. But I don’t have ton of money in the set/up.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

I’m hunting with a second hand Tristar Raptor 12-ga. this year and enjoying it. I mounted a Konus Pro 1.5-5 scope on it. Previous owner had it outfitted with a Carlson’s .675 choke.
I do wonder how a kind of “off brand” gun holds up over the long haul. But I don’t have ton of money in the set/up.

I was told by a guy in the know at TriStar. He said if you’re going to shoot the gun over 5,000 times buy the higher grade. If not you will be fine. And I’m talking the different grades of TriStar. Not a different manufacture.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 01:39 AM

I was told by a guy in the know at TriStar. He said if you’re going to shoot the gun over 5,000 times buy the higher grade. If not you will be fine. And I’m talking the different grades of TriStar. Not a different manufacture.

What’s the highest grade?

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life

What’s the highest grade?

Honestly, I don’t know. They do a gun of the year for several folks, NWTF, DU, etc. It’s a “cheaper” gun. All the tolerances are the same just different metals. One is steel the other is aluminum, I believe. He said the steel was more expensive because it takes longer to cut. And they just don’t wear as much. But he told me that unless you’re trap or clay shooting a lot, that the average guy would never break or wear the aluminum one out.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 05:43 PM

Mine should - should - last forever then.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 06:48 PM

It will definitely last until you trade it off!!
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe

It will definitely last until you trade it off!!

laugh rofl

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 07:37 PM

Haha! Guilty as charged.
I think this is one of those guns though. There have been a couple. I feel like “they chose me” rather than me picking them.
Tristar wasn’t on my radar. Deal too good to pass up. Here we are. I didn’t think I liked pistol grip but I do. Easy to mount optic on. And we all love 20-ga turkey guns but the 12 is still superior even in the age of TSS.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 08:43 PM

Haha! Guilty as charged.
I think this is one of those guns though. There have been a couple. I feel like “they chose me” rather than me picking them.
Tristar wasn’t on my radar. Deal too good to pass up. Here we are. I didn’t think I liked pistol grip but I do. Easy to mount optic on. And we all love 20-ga turkey guns but the 12 is still superior even in the age of TSS.

How you trade on it?

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/15/24 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life

Haha! Guilty as charged.

How you trade on it?

Nice 20-ga semiautomatic will take it….

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/16/24 10:52 AM

Anybody have currently use one of these. Any input?
[Linked Image]

I ended up buying it. It has a jebs 650 choke and patterns well with XR longboards but is super tight…..like too tight for the type hunting I do.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/16/24 01:25 PM

If you get ready to sell it, I’d like dibs

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/16/24 02:07 PM

I miss read your post earlier in the thread AC, I thought you had the 20ga.

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/16/24 02:21 PM

And we all love 20-ga turkey guns but the 12 is still superior even in the age of TSS.

Blasphemy

Re: Tristar turkey gun experience? - 04/16/24 03:32 PM

And we all love 20-ga turkey guns but the 12 is still superior even in the age of TSS.

Blasphemy
© 2024 ALDEER.COM