Aldeer.com

4-8-24 LFTW

Posted By: CarbonClimber1

4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 09:54 AM

Git up…dont look at the eclipse
Posted By: TDog93

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 10:49 AM

Sitting n truck waiting for daylight. Usually i get to a solid spot i think they may be in and set up n dark. Already getting tired and feels like forever since i worked one - but i blessed

Good luck guys if u go

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 11:28 AM

Quick hunt on the sweetwater 80 - not a peep

HennyPenny strikes again 🤣😀
Posted By: Ol’Tom

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 11:37 AM

Taking a day off from hunting to tend to things that I’ve been neglecting and I’m sitting on the porch drinking coffee listening for a gobble.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 11:52 AM

Any of y’all planning to hunt this afternoon? Curious to hear how turkeys react (if at all) to the eclipse
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Any of y’all planning to hunt this afternoon? Curious to hear how turkeys react (if at all) to the eclipse

They didn’t like this sour weather where I hunt this morning.. which I could be out of ear shot with this wind..
Posted By: Rolloverdave

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 12:20 PM

Headed to the baby doctor goin hit the woods after we done
Posted By: cgardner

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 01:38 PM

My dad killed a pretty good one a little while ago. Looks to have about 1 1/4” spurs on him. He turns 70 next month and can still kill ‘em.

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 02:04 PM

^^^
Awesome - congrats to him
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 02:32 PM

Just had a good hunt. Called him in. Came up thru hardwoods gobbling and drumming. Half strutting. Safety off. Wide open shot at 42 steps. Super Jake. Little beard sticking straight out. He got a pass…. So tempted….
He walked off. Still hear him drumming. He’s still gobbling. I ran off his hen. At least one acted right.

I backed out. Gonna try another spot
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 02:50 PM

Carbon came close…now…time to go
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 02:54 PM

Been there Doc; That takes patience and self-control. Awesome to still be out there and being able to hear one drumming. Congrats cgardner to your Dad. Mine is knocking on 70. I plan to take him this weekend. It has been too long since we spent time in the turkey woods together.
Posted By: pickenstj

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 03:05 PM

I got one around 7:30. Nothing special but he is dead so a good one! Nine inch beard with 3/4" spurs but a big bird pushing 20lbs. He would have been a good one next year. As my turkey-crazy brother says, "Thank God for two year olds." This morning illustrates that you just never know. I went this past Friday and Saturday with clear cool temps expecting them to be hammering - very little gobbling. Went this morning with it warm and cloudy, and had four gobbling 70-100 yards from me for an hour. They gobbled hundreds of times. I smiled a lot this morning. It was such a great time. Too bad I am done hunting for a while.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 06:11 PM

I heard one gobble maybe 20 times, but he was about 600 yards across the property line. The puzzling thing was there was another hunter on the same property as the turkey, but he stayed even with me and called to him from 600 yards away. I started to suspect that he must be a Poacher since he wouldn't go to him. Maybe he thought he was good enough to call him that far. He wasn't. smile Of course, I wasn't either.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I heard one gobble maybe 20 times, but he was about 600 yards across the property line. The puzzling thing was there was another hunter on the same property as the turkey, but he stayed even with me and called to him from 600 yards away. I started to suspect that he must be a Poacher since he wouldn't go to him. Maybe he thought he was good enough to call him that far. He wasn't. smile Of course, I wasn't either.

I called up and killed a turkey this year that was so far away I could hardly hear him. It was rather strange. I was calling to a different bird, about 350-400 yards across the property line, when the one I killed kept getting closer every time he gobbled. Guessing from HuntStand I’m saying he was 700 yards or so. Likely the farthest distance I’ve knowingly called one up. Shot him at 22 steps.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by zgobbler5
Been there Doc; That takes patience and self-control. Awesome to still be out there and being able to hear one drumming. Congrats cgardner to your Dad. Mine is knocking on 70. I plan to take him this weekend. It has been too long since we spent time in the turkey woods together.

I was just glad to put the red dot on a gobbler’s head in range! Jake or not, he gobbled and put on a show and the ole heart was a pumping pretty good watching him ease into the road! Stood right there with a “where are you?” gobble which was awesome!

Congrats to your pops cgardner! Enjoy that time with y’all’s dads. Mine passed 7 years ago last month. In fact, opening day was the day. Miss him badly.
Posted By: nate409

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 07:43 PM

Went to Bankhead from about 8 to 1130. Didn't hear or see a thing. Only saw one turkey track.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/08/24 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I called up and killed a turkey this year that was so far away I could hardly hear him. It was rather strange. I was calling to a different bird, about 350-400 yards across the property line, when the one I killed kept getting closer every time he gobbled. Guessing from HuntStand I’m saying he was 700 yards or so. Likely the farthest distance I’ve knowingly called one up. Shot him at 22 steps.

Congrats! That's quite a feat to call an Alabama bird that far! I have tried many times to call turkeys that were way across a property line, but don't remember many success stories. I called up one in NE one year that was further than that, and promptly missed him. I've got several good excuses for why it happened, but no turkey. smile

Congrats to your dad, cgardner! But if he won't be 70 until May then he is still a child. wink
Posted By: cchoque93

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/09/24 12:14 AM

#3 down during the eclipse today. He was strutting in the shade with a hen in an ag field. Was able to get about 100yds down the wood line and got him fired up. He strutted in to 20 looking for that hen. That’s the 3rd one with my 28ga.

Re: 4-8-24 LFTW - 04/09/24 02:16 AM

Congrats
© 2024 ALDEER.COM