Aldeer.com

The bad juju ambush bird

Posted By: Southwood7

The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 12:39 AM

I killed a gobbler on 3/30…..and then over the course of the next 3 weeks turkeys shat on me in every way humanly possible. Mistakes were made, cuss words were said.
If I thought a turkey was coming….. he was going away from me. If I felt like I should move, I should’ve sat still.
Basically I was playing checkers and they were playing chess.

And then Sunday the 23rd came. I got whooped again. Set up in the wrong spot…. Hens were between me and the gobbler and it was game over by 8am. I prospected around and then decided I was done around 9am. Before I left to get ready for church I went and grabbed a camera to move it to another location and when I topped a hill driving out I saw a BIG black turkey on the hill side about 350 yards away. I drove on out, parked and cut through the woods to get to a spot I thought I could get reasonably close and put eyes on him. I eased through the woods to the powerline and spotted him about 75 yards away. I was tucked in the shadows of the wood line and had a bunch of brush and limbs between us so I just stood there and watched him feed. I still wasn’t sure if it was a Jake or a gobbler but he finally turned and I saw he was a gobbler.
It took him about 10 minutes or so to work in to range and the longer I watched him the the shakier I got. When he got to about 40 yards I pulled my shotgun up and waited on him to feed through a hole in the brush to get a shot. He fed through and raised his head up and put the red dot on his noggin and pulled the trigger. He folded up and then rolled down the hill. There’s a certain sense of panic that sets in when you aren’t sure if the momentum of your turkey is because of gravity or if he’s still alive lol
Thankful this one was dead but I still sprinted to him to make sure. This was the first turkey I’ve ever killed standing up 😁 and one of the best I’ve ever killed. I really have no comment if the bad Juju is gone or not…it would be unwise for me to make a statement on that 😬😂

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 12:52 AM

That's a good one, congrats!
Posted By: sj22

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 01:12 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: 3toe

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 01:18 AM

Nice! Persistence pays off. Congrats on a great bird
Posted By: geeb1

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 01:44 AM

Nice. I've killed several birds while standing
Posted By: Atoler

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 02:12 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 03:34 AM

Congratulations!
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 03:40 AM

Congrats man! Great story!
Posted By: Turkey Petter

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 11:21 AM

Congratulations. That’s a good one.
Posted By: G/H

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 11:23 AM

Congrats
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 11:53 AM

Congratulations bud! That’s a mighty fine one!
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 12:14 PM

Nice bird!
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 12:20 PM

Very nice bird, congrats.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 12:32 PM

Congrats man!
Posted By: jacannon

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 12:42 PM

Congratulations Nice Bird...
Posted By: YB21

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 01:47 PM

Congratulatios
Posted By: dBmV

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/25/23 09:12 PM

Great bird. In my opinion the only bad ju-ju bird is a limb launch.
Posted By: Colt1917

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 04/26/23 04:21 PM

Congrats! Sometimes standing up is your only shot.
My one and only public land gobbler pitched down into a head high blackberry sticker bush patch in the middle of a gas line right of way that I was trying to cross. All I could do was stand there and wait for him to get close enough, which turned out to be about twelve steps!
Posted By: TMan33

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 05/07/23 02:31 PM

Cingrats!
Posted By: Leprechaun24

Re: The bad juju ambush bird - 05/07/23 02:42 PM

Congratulations!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM