Aldeer.com

Turkey populations?

Posted By: ImThere

Turkey populations? - 04/06/23 08:08 PM

Does Alabama have good turkey populations? Some of the posts in here got me worried. I just moved here from Tn where I’ve gotten my limit of birds on public land for the last 25+ years. Not that I’m good at hunting them I’m just Turkey lucky.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/06/23 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ImThere
Does Alabama have good turkey populations? Some of the posts in here got me worried. I just moved here from Tn where I’ve gotten my limit of birds on public land for the last 25+ years. Not that I’m good at hunting them I’m just Turkey lucky.

For whatever reason, killing birds in Tennessee is a lot easier. Especially comparing public to public. Don’t know that it’s a population thing.
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/06/23 10:56 PM

We have the birds contrary to what Sykes and his cronies think!!

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/07/23 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Atoler

For whatever reason, killing birds in Tennessee is a lot easier. Especially comparing public to public. Don’t know that it’s a population thing.

I reckon I’m about to find out. Lol
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 12:52 AM

Tennessee is an excellent place to hunt turkey! Gobblers in Alabama are more harder to kill I must say.

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
Tennessee is an excellent place to hunt turkey! Gobblers in Alabama are more harder to kill I must say.

So I keep hearing. I just want to know that there is a good population I don’t want to chase ghosts
Posted By: Slider

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 01:38 AM

There’s plenty of turkeys to hunt in Alabama. It just depends on the amount of effort you put in on how your experience goes. Get out there.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 04:04 AM

Great population in a few areas, good population in a few areas and average or below in most now unfortunately.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 04:44 AM

I don’t want to chase ghosts

I’ve seen some sign the past 40 years, a few tracks and some feathers here and there, and I’m getting close I believe - I’m thinking any day now.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 08:23 AM

How many turkeys is y’all’s limit up there? I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed unless you’re hunting in Jackson county.

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 08:34 AM

Cost you 50 to chase a ghost around here

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/08/23 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BC_Reb
How many turkeys is y’all’s limit up there? I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed unless you’re hunting in Jackson county.

It used to be 4 now it’s 2.
I’ll be fine. Don’t have to kill to have a good hunt. Just want to be able to play the game.

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/12/23 08:31 PM

Spent a long day in the wma. Not one single sign of turkey. Hope I heave better luck tomorrow

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/13/23 11:08 PM

Spent another long day on a wma. Seen 8 hens 0 Tom’s
0 pigs
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/14/23 01:32 AM

Just ain’t got like we use to.

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/15/23 03:51 AM

Day 3
7 hens 0 toms, 0 pigs

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/15/23 04:03 AM

Day 3
7 hens 0 tons, 0 pigs

Right there’s your problem- the only Toms in AL wear their nice pants to Jacks to get biscuits.

Remember you’re looking for ghost sign, gotta get creative. They are tricky, shapeshifter like critters.

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/15/23 06:52 AM

Good luck calling tom while you’re turkey hunting

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/16/23 10:34 PM

Day 4
1Tom, 1 coyote, 2 pigs.
The Tom came in hard held up about 40 yards and trotted off the other way. We went around him and called him in to about 50/60 yards and he decided not to commit. And went left of us. Never came back in. Never gobbled again. Had a coyote come to the call about 5 mins after the turkey. And we Judie’s two hogs in the swamp on the way out.
Posted By: howl

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/16/23 11:33 PM

Did you live in NY before TN?
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/16/23 11:36 PM

Day 4
1Tom, 1 coyote, 2 pigs.
The Tom came in hard held up about 40 yards and trotted off the other way. We went around him and called him in to about 50/60 yards and he decided not to commit. And went left of us. Never came back in. Never gobbled again. Had a coyote come to the call about 5 mins after the turkey. And we Judie’s two hogs in the swamp on the way out.

Why didn’t he die at 40 yards?
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/17/23 12:27 AM

^^^^
What i was wondering - maybe no shot?

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/17/23 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by howl
Did you live in NY before TN?

No why?

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/17/23 09:06 AM

No shot. He came in on my far right, being right handed I couldn’t swing it without repositioning

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/17/23 09:18 AM

No shot. He came in on my far right, being right handed I couldn’t swing it without repositioning

Little trick…cut and swing if you ever need to shoot…it’s worked for me multiple times.

Re: Turkey populations? - 04/17/23 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gobble4me757

Little trick…cut and swing if you ever need to shoot…it’s worked for me multiple times.

Even better - just yell out - “Hey Tom!!!” - and move real fast like. An Alabama gobbler will be terribly confused for a couple seconds.
Posted By: TMan33

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/07/23 04:11 PM

ImThere, will or better grow thick skin fast on Aldeer, especially in the turkey section...🤔😬😕😁
Posted By: Bankheadhunter

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 03:48 AM

Plenty of turkeys. Our DCNR would rather see a eagle eat them than us as hunters kill them.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by TMan33
ImThere, will or better grow thick skin fast on Aldeer, especially in the turkey section...🤔😬😕😁

This is for all of Aldeer

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TMan33

I’m good. I find it hilarious.

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bankheadhunter
Plenty of turkeys. Our DCNR would rather see a eagle eat them than us as hunters kill them.

This…they need to all be fired and go work at Walmart or macdonalds

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bankheadhunter

Theyed rather trap hogs and not let us hunt them than do any good for the turkeys
Posted By: Bankheadhunter

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 06:41 PM

How do we get them out. Its very easy to see that they have 0 care. Where does our money go? I've tried for years to figure it out and the amount of times I've been lied to is ridiculous. Its always lack of funding? Well, where is the money going? From what I can gather in my area its spent on everything except deer/turkeys.

Last time I got license I wasn't paying to study insects snails lizards and the famous bats and salamanders. This has went on for years and it will stay this way.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 07:05 PM

Don’t know about anywhere else but there were more birds on my place than ever before. A new buddy finished up his limit this morning and saw 4 gobblers other than the one he killed. And his bird made number 7 off 320 acres. Plus there are a pile of Jakes for next year.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
Don’t know about anywhere else but there were more birds on my place than ever before. A new buddy finished up his limit this morning and saw 4 gobblers other than the one he killed. And his bird made number 7 off 320 acres. Plus there are a pile of Jakes for next year.

Man we used to have them like that, then whatever happens happened and we dont have them anymore
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Turkey populations? - 05/08/23 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Originally Posted by BradB

Man we used to have them like that, then whatever happens happened and we dont have them anymore
© 2024 ALDEER.COM