Aldeer.com

Jakes

Posted By: crenshawco

Jakes - 04/07/21 02:00 AM

Anybody else seeing boatloads of jakes this year? I've got an infestation of them and they are really causing me fits. Poor old gobblers won't even hardly gobble because they get pounced as soon as they do. I'm on the verge of finding me a couple of youths to go put an end to their party.

Oh yea, that brings up another point, I thought subordinate birds couldn't breed?
Posted By: Duck Engr

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:03 AM

That’s a good sign for next year!
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:03 AM

Only good thing about jakes is they become dumb 2yr olds
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:26 AM

Lot of gobblers next year likely
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:28 AM

Unfortunately, no. Between MS and Alabama, I've saw a total of 2!
Posted By: bowkl

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:40 AM

I have called up 4 different groups of gobbling jakes. I can usually tell the difference but on two of these occasions I would have bet you that is was a mature turkey. Good times next year hopefully.
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:43 AM

Yep!! They helped me kill a goodun this morning!!
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:44 AM

Congratulations on the Good hatch and survival rate! Hope next year is crazy! We had a group of 8.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 03:12 AM

Youll have plenty to choose from in low light when picking one to shoot rom the limb..matter O fact..just shoot amungstem
Posted By: Spec

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 03:14 AM

My brother called up 8 this pm. Said they gobbled and did everything a mature bird would do.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 03:26 AM

I’ve seen ZERO Jakes.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
I’ve seen ZERO Jakes.

You need to approach this from a scientific stand point...you have no dominant birds so they must all be afraid to gobble cause nobody knows who the dominant bird is..just limb launch the first bird you come across and that will tell them all who the dominant bird is..this pro tip is free..next ones gonna cost you...your welcome🙃
Posted By: 4Him146

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
I’ve seen ZERO Jakes.

Same here. Scary
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 04:18 AM

I’ve hunted a couple adjoining properties for 10+ years - and only see a couple/three jakes each year. But it means absolutely nothing really, as the mature gobbler population is just fine.

Some of it has to do with the property itself and our hunting style. Very few fields to sit and observe. And I don’t ride around or move around much. Just listen for gobbling birds and go to them - then go to work or back to the house.
Posted By: Chiller

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
Anybody else seeing boatloads of jakes this year? I've got an infestation of them and they are really causing me fits. Poor old gobblers won't even hardly gobble because they get pounced as soon as they do. I'm on the verge of finding me a couple of youths to go put an end to their party.

Oh yea, that brings up another point, I thought subordinate birds couldn't breed?

Same here. I have a group of 6 Jake's running 575 duzen hens. Not 1 gobble this season. The hens arent going off looking for some macho tom. The Jake's are breeding all the hens. It's quite amusing watching the Jake's beat on each other to get 1 of the hens. Like a college bar scene.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 11:14 AM

We have 4 jakes this year thats the first ones we have seen in a couole years!!
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 12:41 PM

Yes. I called in 5 yesterday, possibly 6. The sixth was gobbling with a full gobble. I never could see a beard and he wouldn't strut. I'm leaning toward super jake.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 02:02 PM

If I counted right I called in 27 different jakes on opening day. I have a couple fields that I have stopped hunting because they are holding big groups or jakes. Next year will be good.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 03:01 PM

I have at least 8. They run off my gobblers. I need to shoot some of the dominant jakes
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 03:12 PM

Yep, seen more this year than is usual on multiple properties. Hopefully that bodes well for turkey numbers going forward
Posted By: SharpSpur

Re: Jakes - 04/07/21 06:28 PM

Got several(Pics or sightings) on my tracts that I'm hunting.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM