Aldeer.com

So, I just looked at the turkey season dates

Posted By: Davyalabama

So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/01/21 09:18 PM

Yeah, I know, I should have already looked, but why? Anyway, I saw we have until May 2nd to hunt? I would sure rather put some days on the front end than the rear, say start on the 15th like it used to be.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/01/21 09:37 PM

It ended on May 2 last year also. The board meets Mach 6 and dates as well as number of harvest both may be changed. Less turkeys, less hunting days??
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/01/21 09:48 PM

well they changed it from March 15 to the 3rd Sat in March because.................wait for it...................a weekday opener was unfair to those that had to work. I chit you not. They've since gone back and added some BS about breeding season and whatnot to claim that there was a biological reason for it, but initially, it was about "fairness"

sonsabeeches
Posted By: Chiller

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/01/21 10:49 PM

Last week of season for me last year was absolutely dead. Seeing gobblers but not strutting or gobbling. Guess there plan worked. Turkeys get all of march to breed rolleyes
Posted By: turkey247

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/01/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chiller
Turkeys get all of march to breed rolleyes

No they don’t - they better hide their peckers starting March 13 around here - cause we will be shooting at them grin
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 03:19 AM

season opened March 20 for about a hunnert years
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

Yep, that was a real holiday. I remember that they first added 5 days at the beginning, but only for counties that didn't have a fall season. I lived in Wilcox but had land in Perry to hunt. I killed one opening day in Perry and carried him back to Camden and Danny McDonald never did believe it was a legal turkey.
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 11:10 AM

Yep, and the limit was 6.
Posted By: Buck slayer 15

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 01:57 PM

Nest preadators are problem

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by OlTimer

limit of six was only for a couple of three years in the early 80's. Been five for most part.
Posted By: king

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 02:39 PM

tell'm about it , FRED, some of these guys would "BITCH" about the season, if it last all year!!!!

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 02:46 PM

I thought in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s it came in on the 15th. I also remember not being checked to see how many I killed a year.

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Davyalabama
I thought in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s it came in on the 15th. I also remember not being checked to see how many I killed a year.

came in on the 20th
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 04:13 PM

Yep, the 20th was the opener for years. Most WMAs did not open until April 1. What about it coming in on the 14th? They moved it up a day early. It wasn't that long ago. Dates are only suggestions anyways. Outlaws will be outlaws.

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 07:45 PM

came in on the 20th

Originally Posted by zgobbler5
Yep, the 20th was the opener for years. Most WMAs did not open until April 1. What about it coming in on the 14th? They moved it up a day early. It wasn't that long ago. Dates are only suggestions anyways. Outlaws will be outlaws.

It came in on the 16th in 2019.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/02/21 07:46 PM

came in on the 20th

I think that maybe 1976 was the first year that they let it open in some counties in 15th. As I remember, there were only a few counties that got that early date. It was limited to the few counties that had good turkey populations but no fall season.

It seems like they only did it that way a few seasons, and then switched those 5 extra days for those counties to the end of the season. So it went out the 25th in a lot of the state, but lasted until the 30th in a few. I don't think it was until around 2000 that they got most of the state on 3/15 to 4/30.

Note: all of these dates may be wrong; I am getting old. But I am sure that they switched those extra 5 days around in certain counties. Anyone else remember the dates?
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/03/21 10:38 AM

limit of six was only for a couple of three years in the early 80's. Been five for most part.

Both showing our age.....
Posted By: Orion34

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/03/21 11:15 AM

When did they open the door to dekes? I recall they weren’t allowed back when the bag was 6 or before then. Was it sometime in the 90’s???
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: So, I just looked at the turkey season dates - 03/03/21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Orion34

When did they open the door to dekes? I recall they weren’t allowed back when the bag was 6 or before then. Was it sometime in the 90’s???

That was the early 2000’s. Think 01. I know I bought a hen decoy when they became legal and stuck it in the back edge of a field where I had roosted a turkey the night before opening day. I called that turkey to the field and as soon as he cleared the brush where he could see that decoy, he was getting the hell out of there, and I had to shoot him in the back. That’s the last time I’ve personally toted one I believe. Never been a big fan of them. It’s about 50/50 whether you get a good response or bad unless you’re in Texas. I guess Rios don’t like other turkeys?? They’ll come from 2 miles if they see one. Quit using them there too.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM