Aldeer.com

FastFire Thoughts?

Posted By: AC870

FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 01:20 AM

How many of you guys are running Burris FastFires?
Thoughts?
Any other reflex sights to consider?
Can you still wingshoot with one?
I’m going to post this on the guns and gear page too.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 01:25 AM

I have FF3 and venoms. I prefer the venoms more. But that’s just me
Posted By: blade

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 01:36 AM

I’ve got both. No real preference.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 01:41 AM

I use ff3 and have taken it duck and dove hunting once, just to see how I could do with it. I’m not a great wingshooter anyway, but it didn’t help nor hurt
Posted By: General

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 02:56 AM

I have a FF3 but it’s not currently mounted to a turkey gun because I still prefer a bead on his head.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 05:57 AM

I’ve got several venoms. Definitely wouldn’t suggest it for wingshooting. I can’t hit crap with mine on there, tried it on skeet one day.
Posted By: Orion34

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 12:25 PM

I’ve got 3 FF3’s and a cheap Tasco. All work flawlessly. Like the dust cover, see-thru shroud that comes with the FF3. Wish the Venoms had the same. I leave my cover on full-time.

If I was gonna use one occasionally for wing shooting, I’d try the AimPoint Micro and mount it on the rib. Warning: they’re pricey.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 01:35 PM

There is no way I would have any red dot on my shotgun for wing shooting. If I see the dot, and not what I am swinging on, I might as well save my shell because I sure aint going to hit it.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 01:39 PM

What he said. Wingshooting is purely instinct. No dot or bead is needed. It’ll cause more harm than good. Totally reverse for turkey.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 02:15 PM

If you're interested in a do-everything gun this looks like a nice solution because it would allow for the dot to removed.
https://meadowcreekmounts.com/
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 04:30 PM

Lots of issues with Burris lately.

I know of some poor customer service, 2 individuals with battery cap flying off when they shoot, and zero moving on one.

I’d go vortex or swamp fox.

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 04:31 PM

I have a Nikon spur that has worked well to this point also.
Posted By: bayouturkey

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 06:05 PM

I’ve had 3 Fastfires.
The first one wouldn’t hold zero. Returned it.
Second one- the third season I had it, me and a buddy came up on a pair of Osceolas 17 hours from home and my site had quit working. Somehow, I still managed the gobbler without a working site. But barely.
Third one- when you turned the site on there was a central red dot in the middle of sight with a red streak from top to bottom. That was it for me.

I’m on the third season with a venom. I’m not saying that it is a better sight than a fast fire but I’ll never go back to Burris sights.
Posted By: 202P&Y

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 06:30 PM

I’ve had an FF3 going on 4 seasons with zero issues
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 06:35 PM

I just gotta gun with one so first season with it but love mine so far...can’t help in terms of between the venom and it though

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 09:30 PM

It’s sounding like Venom is way to go.
Only reason I mentioned wingshooting is I don’t do it that often but don’t want to have to remove sight if I decide to bust a duck or something.

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/18/20 11:53 PM

I hear very good things about swampfox optics.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/19/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

It’s sounding like Venom is way to go.
Only reason I mentioned wingshooting is I don’t do it that often but don’t want to have to remove sight if I decide to bust a duck or something.

You seriously dont expect us to believe you will own it that long do you. Its 6 months between turkey season and duck season

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/19/20 01:46 AM

Oh no. This is it. The One.
It shows Great Promise.
Could be the Last Shotgun I ever buy.
I also acquired what could be my Last Carry Pistol.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/19/20 04:49 PM

I'm shooting a trijicon dual illuminated rmr......it's a batteryless option but twice as expensive. I'm super OCD so it was worth it not to worry with batteries ever again. I had to put electrical tape over about 1/2 the fiber optics so it wouldn't be too bright......after I did that I love it.
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/19/20 09:13 PM

I had 2 fast fires go bad from electronic issues with about 1.5 seasons on each. Sold the third one they sent me and bought a Venom. On my 4th season with it and no issues!
Posted By: BowPreacher

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/24/20 11:38 AM

I found the FF3 with Piccatiny mount on sale at Academy for $199.00 yesterday. It can be mounted with or without the Piccatiny depending on your need (therefore I can use it on my Turkey gun or an AR or most handguns at any time I like. At Burrisoptics.com I ordered the SpeedBead mount for my Turkey gun that matches my gun and the FF3. The gun shop would charge me $26.00 per hole to tap my receiver however the SpeedBead I purchased with a Veteran's discount for $55.00. I obtained the discount by going to GovX and registering with my credentials and there found many more goodies with great discounts for Vets, Active Duty, First Responders and such. At least these are some options for you.

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/24/20 11:53 AM

I’m on the horns of a dilemma.
I want a red dot for turkey hunting. But I also want to use this Stoeger 3020 as a general purpose shotgun too.
I’m wondering, since the Stoeger has the raised rib, if I’d be able to take the sight off and use the bead for general work?
I may be overthinking it.
Posted By: BowPreacher

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/24/20 12:12 PM

I'm actually mounting mine when it arrives to a Stoeger M2000 that will be used for Turkey and as well for wing shooting. I was at McCoy's in Mobile the other day and they gave me the idea and told me that many of their customers were doing this with the FF3 mounted...shooting doves and ducks with great improvement. I will give it a try.

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/24/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by AC870

I’m on the horns of a dilemma.
I want a red dot for turkey hunting. But I also want to use this Stoeger 3020 as a general purpose shotgun too.
I’m wondering, since the Stoeger has the raised rib, if I’d be able to take the sight off and use the bead for general work?
I may be overthinking it.

Why not try a rib mount like meadow creek that can be removed easily and reinstalled for Turkey season.
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/25/20 05:15 PM

Iv seen 6 misses this year 4 of them were with a red dot . For a turkey standing still they are great but not so much on a moving bird . My gun shoots where I aim it with a bead so I prob won’t be changing anytime soon .
Posted By: gundoc

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/25/20 05:21 PM

If you use a base like the Marlin 336 Burris base, you only have to drill and tap 2 screw holes.
The sight is held to the base with 22 screws as well.
you could easily remove the sight if you wanted to shoot flying birds
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/25/20 09:43 PM

Do you know many people that take them on and off? Just wondering how well they would hold their zero.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/26/20 03:24 AM

No, I don't.
I don't know how well the would hold zero.
I have seen POI shifts simply by changing from filister head to bevel head screws.
Posted By: Fldoghunter

Re: FastFire Thoughts? - 04/29/20 11:44 AM

You could go with the Speed Bead mount for the Fastfire. It sits lower than the fastfire mounted on the top of the gun and you can line the bead up through it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM