Aldeer.com

Making the switch to TSS

Posted By: JCL

Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 02:01 AM

Finally making the switch to TSS this year, looking for choke recommendations for Remington 11-87, 12 ga. and for a 870, 20 ga.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 02:09 AM

Indian creek .562
Posted By: North40R

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 02:42 AM

Factory full. Plenty enough.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 02:45 AM

Polish the barrel and start with the factory full , you may not need to spend a penny on a after market choke.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 04:23 AM

Remington Super Full for each or IC 555(20ga) or IC 665(12ga).
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by North40R
x2
Posted By: CAL

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum
Originally Posted by North40R
x2

Yep. That’ll do
Posted By: Goose11

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 03:26 PM

I know it’s not the most popular or the biggest name out there. But, I’ve tried Jeb’s, IC, regular Remington chokes, and others I can’t remember. The best choke on my 870 20 ga for turkeys is the Truglo gobble-stopper. I bought it cheap at BPS, and didn’t expect it to out perform my higher priced chokes. But out of frustration I tried it, and it’s the best pattern I can get with tss, longbeard XR’s, or Federal heavyweights. (The optics that come with it are crap)
https://www.truglo.com/firearms-choke-tubes/gobble-stopper-xtreme-choke-tube-combo.asp
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 03:38 PM

I hope your a big'un and can take a punch. The worst kicking gun I've ever shot was a 20" 870 with 3.5" TSS loads. Once was enough. Maybe I'm just a wus. I switched to a gas-operated auto.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey
The worst kicking gun I've ever shot was a 20" 870 with 3.5" TSS loads.
I bet it was! laugh
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 05:16 PM

I hope your a big'un and can take a punch. The worst kicking gun I've ever shot was a 20" 870 with 3.5" TSS loads. Once was enough. Maybe I'm just a wus. I switched to a gas-operated auto.

I patterned some TSS in my Stoeger 3020 (a semiauto) this past weekend and was truly shocked at the recoil. I swear that 20ga semiauto with TSS kicks harder than my 12ga Winchester 1300 (pump) with 3" Longbeards.

I seriously wasn't prepared for the thump it gave me when I pulled the trigger.

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Goose11
I know it’s not the most popular or the biggest name out there. But, I’ve tried Jeb’s, IC, regular Remington chokes, and others I can’t remember. The best choke on my 870 20 ga for turkeys is the Truglo gobble-stopper. I bought it cheap at BPS, and didn’t expect it to out perform my higher priced chokes. But out of frustration I tried it, and it’s the best pattern I can get with tss, longbeard XR’s, or Federal heavyweights. (The optics that come with it are crap)
https://www.truglo.com/firearms-choke-tubes/gobble-stopper-xtreme-choke-tube-combo.asp

My 1300 performed better with a $20 Primos Tightwad than it did with a couple of higher-end chokes I borrowed to try out several years ago when I first patterned it. And that was the case with Longbeards, Magblends and Hevi-13. That gun just likes that particular choke.
Posted By: CAL

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I patterned some TSS in my Stoeger 3020 (a semiauto) this past weekend and was truly shocked at the recoil. I swear that 20ga semiauto with TSS kicks harder than my 12ga Winchester 1300 (pump) with 3" Longbeards.

I’m about to pattern my backup turkey gun which is a Remington 1187 in 20ga. Thinking about getting liquored up before doing it and I don’t even drink! They’ll definitely put a hurting on you.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 05:41 PM

Some man cards need to be collected in this thread
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by CKyleC

Look out fellas, we got a tough guy that can't admit getting punched in the shoulder hurts a lil bit laugh

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 06:04 PM

If I gotta shoot that 870 with 3.5 TSS loads repeatedly to keep my man card, you just need to tell me where to mail it. I'd rather kill turkeys than shoot up the woods flinching. I'll keep the Maxus, thank you.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 06:19 PM

I don’t like sharp recoiling rifles but shotgun recoil doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve been shooting 3.5” 12 gauge shells for a longtime but I’ll stick with my 243 for deer 😀

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by CAL
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I’m about to pattern my backup turkey gun which is a Remington 1187 in 20ga. Thinking about getting liquored up before doing it and I don’t even drink! They’ll definitely put a hurting on you.

a lead sled is your friend........I won't use one for a rifle, but borrowed one last time I patterned a turkey gun...unfortunately it wasn't available for this outing
Posted By: sj22

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 06:42 PM

My 20 gauge is nothing like the 3 1/2” 12 gauge I used to shoot but I’m only shooting the 1 5/8 ounce load

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 06:50 PM

I use a lead sled to pattern, but sooner or later you've got to simulate the real thing.

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

Look out fellas, we got a tough guy that can't admit getting punched in the shoulder hurts a lil bit laugh

No tough guy here. The first time I got down on my Mossberg 935 with a 3.5" magnum turkey load I about broke my nose and my eyes watered....But it wasn't a damn 20ga!
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 07:57 PM

Patterning turkey loads sucks!!!! That is why I buy several boxes of the same shell after finding a load that patterns well. Hopefully a lifetime supply. Funny thing is I never feel recoil when shooting at game, even when shooting the dreaded 3 1/2 inch thumpers.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 08:12 PM

I shot the tru glo SSX in my rem 20. It was extremely tight with with 8s and 9s. I switched to the factory full. Got plenty of wiggle room now. My 20ga. 1100 doesn’t have a bad recoil but will let you know you squeezed the trigger. I shot by BPS 12ga. one time with 3.5” mag blends. That’s all it took for me to switch to 3”. My 870 hurts with everything you put in it but is by far the best patterning and shoots where you put the bead.

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/26/20 11:53 PM

I have a FIE O/U 12 gauge , it's a fairly light gun with no recoil pad . I rigged it for a turkey gun many years ago. It always would get your attention with "high brass" ammo. Mr. Turkey fixed me up with some 3" mach 2 , jacked up , TSS shells . With those blue bombs it gave kick a whole new meaning, it'll shake your fillings loose! I've never shot anything else even close . And you will notice the recoil when shooting at game. I'll hand you my man card .............. after you shoot it.
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 12:30 AM

I shot a begum made a5 16 gauge with some high brass Rios one time that stomped my ass in the mud . I’d cry if I had to shoot a turkey load through it .
Posted By: Wapiti55

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 12:32 AM

No tough guy here. The first time I got down on my Mossberg 935 with a 3.5" magnum turkey load I about broke my nose and my eyes watered....But it wasn't a damn 20ga![/quot
[quote=CKyleC]Some man cards need to be collected in this thread

No tough guy here. The first time I got down on my Mossberg 935 with a 3.5" magnum turkey load I about broke my nose and my eyes watered....But it wasn't a damn 20ga!
Was it your thumb hitting the bridge of the nose at recoil? Don’t ask how I know but on those 835/935 you better make sure you move your thumb outta the way after you push that safety off.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 12:56 AM

If it takes more than a 7-1/2 dove load, y’all are shooting them turkeys too far.

Originally Posted by duxlayer
I shot a begum made a5 16 gauge with some high brass Rios one time that stomped my ass in the mud . I’d cry if I had to shoot a turkey load through it .

Recoil ring probably wasn't set correctly . If it was , it needed a new recoil spring. A5s don't "kick" bad at all if the spring isn't fatigued and recoil ring is set correctly.
Posted By: Atoler

I’ve got an 835 I hunted with for years (kicks harder than a 935). My 20 gauge o/u with the MOA load hurts about twice as bad as a 3.5” turkey load in the 835.
Posted By: JCL

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 01:00 AM

Thanks for the info guys.
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 01:07 AM

Hey I've shot a Ruger model one in 375 H&H magnum and it was a pussycat compared to a 3 1/2 magnum turkey load out of my Mossberg 835. It throws a great pattern but man do I hate to shoot that sucker at a piece of poster paper. Never notice the recoil when shooting a turkey however. Weird how what you are shooting at makes such a difference.

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wapiti55

No tough guy here. The first time I got down on my Mossberg 935 with a 3.5" magnum turkey load I about broke my nose and my eyes watered....But it wasn't a damn 20ga![/quot
[quote=CKyleC]Some man cards need to be collected in this thread

Was it your thumb hitting the bridge of the nose at recoil? Don’t ask how I know but on those 835/935 you better make sure you move your thumb outta the way after you push that safety off.

You know it!!
Posted By: 243Win

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 02:26 AM

3 1/2 small town blend from apex kicked me harder than anything I’ve ever pulled the trigger on. Trying some 3 Inch shells tomorrow
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 03:24 AM

.410 gentleman

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
.410 gentleman

I just finished putting the sling on my pump. Trying to decide if I’m gonna put a nice rattle can camo finish on it. 👍
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 09:39 PM

what kind of pump did you get marsh?

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/27/20 10:18 PM

I’ve have 2 410 pumps. My dad bought me one when I was like 6 yrs old from Montgomery Wards. I thinks it’s a revelation with a full choke barrel. The other is a mossberg I got when my Father in Law died. It also has a full choke barrrl on it. This is the one I’m gonna carry with me. It’s a lot lighter then the older one.

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/28/20 02:34 AM

I got ya. They had some sort of pump 410 at Walmart for 209$. Thought about getting it just to see but I’d love to have an o/u. My little single shot has a crap pattern with the federal 9s

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/28/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 87dixieboy
I got ya. They had some sort of pump 410 at Walmart for 209$. Thought about getting it just to see but I’d love to have an o/u. My little single shot has a crap pattern with the federal 9s

Which single shot? Federal sucks in my Stevens. It LOVES Apex

Re: Making the switch to TSS - 02/28/20 05:19 PM

Ill have to check when I get home. Its an old savage I believe. Was the first gun I was ever given as a kid.

Edit to say it’s a Stevens 940A model
© 2024 ALDEER.COM