Aldeer.com

Turkey hunt in cold?

Posted By: Alyssa26

Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 02:00 PM

We’re thinking about going turkey hunting Saturday morning (tomorrow). Where we’re going is about an hour away from our house, so we’ll have to get up pretty early to go. So, if we’re gonna get up that early and drive that far, I would hope that the turkeys would be gobbling. I haven’t been turkey hunting much, so what is yalls opinion on hunting in cold weather? Do they still gobble when it’s cold or do they shut up? It’s suppsed to be about 41 degrees.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 02:01 PM

yes - i've had 'em gobbling like mad well below 32 degrees before ... go huntin' & good luck!
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 02:06 PM

Yeah they will still gobble.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 02:15 PM

I've killed plenty when it's cold...you never know when a turkey will or won't gobble but I have had them hammering in the cold...only way to find out is to go!
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 02:23 PM

Cold - yes
Wind - no

Calling for 15 mph north winds in the morning. Some genius called for an 8am start to a baseball tournament in the morning, so I’ll be there helping coach. Might as well be crappy weather so the wanna be turkey hunters in our club won’t hear crap. I’ll slip in next week when they’re working and work on the birds!!
Posted By: BC

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 03:01 PM

n2deer and I killed one year before last and it was 21 degrees that morning.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by cgardner
Cold - yes
Wind - no

Calling for 15 mph north winds in the morning. Some genius called for an 8am start to a baseball tournament in the morning, so I’ll be there helping coach. Might as well be crappy weather so the wanna be turkey hunters in our club won’t hear crap. I’ll slip in next week when they’re working and work on the birds!!

Why wait til next week? I thought you always started a week early wink
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 03:06 PM

Cold - yes
Wind - no

Why wait til next week? I thought you always started a week early wink
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BC
n2deer and I killed one year before last and it was 21 degrees that morning.

I also killed one opening day that year. It was 28 degrees in south Alabama and the turkeys hammered that morning.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 04:05 PM

I love it when it’s cold and clear.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 04:33 PM

These guys are just pulling your chain. You can't kill gobblers in cold weather and most of these guys won't even go tomorrow. You should stay home tomorrow and watch BB game and plan on going next weekend.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 04:33 PM

Killed one couple years ago on second day of season and it was 21 when I got outta the truck, like others said as long as wind isn’t terrible
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 04:56 PM

Cold - yes
Wind - no

Where ya’ll play at tomorrow?
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Squadron77
These guys are just pulling your chain. You can't kill gobblers in cold weather and most of these guys won't even go tomorrow. You should stay home tomorrow and watch BB game and plan on going next weekend.

I'll add that turkeys also go nocturnal if you check your cameras too much.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 05:52 PM

I don’t think it will be very good up here next week. I love colder than average temps once we have had a few warm days and turkeys are starting to bust up. Hate cold weather this early in the season but the sunshine will help some.
I’d think the farther south you are the better the hunting will be next week.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BrentM
I don’t think it will be very good up here next week. I love colder than average temps once we have had a few warm days and turkeys are starting to bust up. Hate cold weather this early in the season but the sunshine will help some.
I’d think the farther south you are the better the hunting will be next week.

This^^ Nothing like a cool spell after its been warm for awhile and they've begun to bust up. I'm not big on cold openers but they still can die.
Posted By: CAL

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 06:55 PM

You’ll only get to go if your loser Dad will get off his lazy bum and take you.😁
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by YEKRUT
Cold - yes
Wind - no

Where ya’ll play at tomorrow?

Saks - Dixie Youth tournament. We’ve had 2 practices, so it will be a sight to see!!

Sunday looks better so I may slip to the club and show the amateurs how it’s done!!
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 07:38 PM

5-10mph winds is what I see forecasted for tomorrow which is about pretty normal.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/15/19 08:07 PM

It was gusting pretty good this morning and I heard a few
Posted By: BCWhunter

Re: Turkey hunt in cold? - 03/18/19 11:55 PM

my husband shot one a few years ago in 28 degrees in Alabama; now for me; I don't like going and sitting on the ground when it is that cold.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM