Posted By: JLavender

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 09:59 AM

Here!
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:07 AM

Getting ready to walk out the door in a few
Posted By: drakehunter_03

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:10 AM

Present .. cool 29.. hope they hammer hard!!
Posted By: jellyhead11

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:11 AM

Headed that way!
Posted By: Moodyc24

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:16 AM

Woooooo!!! I’m here with earl Pitts! Sent two to bed yesterday evening. Hope they want to play the game this morning.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:20 AM

Hallelujah! I have lived to see another turkey season!
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:22 AM

Amen preacher!

I’ve been sitting at the gate for while. I’m about to pack up and make the hike in. Good luck everybody!
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:22 AM

Headed out in a few. Good luck everyone.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:24 AM

Good luck fellas, I'm enjoying this heater in camp for a few more minutes
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:30 AM

Y'all turkey hunters are crazy

Glad I don't turkey hunt
Posted By: Justin Brown

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:37 AM

Present. Been parked since 4:45. About to make the walk in. Good luck guys. 🦃🦃🦃🦃
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:44 AM

Well crap got beat to my best spot but that doesn’t surprise me.

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:58 AM

Got a buddy swearing he’s listening to one already in Bessemer. Said the owls are going nuts and he’s gobbled 10 times already.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:03 AM

Good luck fellas. Live from work for me this morning. Sure looks like it's going to be a nice morning too
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:05 AM

Sitting, waiting....
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:06 AM

Good luck guys....I'll be following along and living vicariously through y'all for a bit. Post some pics soon!
Posted By: G/H

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:09 AM

Fixing to walk out the back door.
Posted By: USeeMSpurs

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:12 AM

Patiently waiting on that first gobble. Let the games begin!
Posted By: WildlifeBiologist

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:12 AM

My mind is in the turkey woods of Crenshaw County but my body is in the office in Georgia. You guys be safe today. Good hunting!
Posted By: dsmc

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:14 AM

Right behind you G/H....well not behind you...out my back door, lol
Good luck all !!
Posted By: Spec

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:20 AM

Present 29 degree. Just set my brother who is n a wheelchair up on a small food plot that had 9 gobblers in it yesterday. Now I'm just waiting at the gate for the first one to talk.
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:23 AM

Present. Walked thin 3/4 mile across the cow pasture to find they have been back in here logging. High hopes when I left the house have decreased significantly
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:25 AM

Workin...im there tho....i predict ones gonna get his head mashed this mornin...good luck
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:32 AM

Got tri axles of lime in bound trying to beat this next rain. Y'all killem. I'll maybe be after em this weekend.

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:44 AM

1st gobble of am
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spec
1st gobble of am

Put the phone up and go get him. I'm sitting here waiting on pics.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Got tri axles of lime in bound trying to beat this next rain. Y'all killem. I'll maybe be after em this weekend.

Don't start turkey hunting. It's like a drug and you will get hooked. rolleyes
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Im haulin crush n run this mornin. Good day to haul..it dryish

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:03 PM

Boom goes the 20 ga
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:04 PM

Live from my desk at work. Stennis has about 5,000 acres of woods. I need to slip out down by one of the creeks and see if one will gobble just to get my blood going.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Boom goes the 20 ga

Damn...that was quick
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:05 PM

Boom goes the 20 ga

That ain’t take long.
Posted By: G/H

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:15 PM

Two hens at edge of greenfield. Went back to the pines
Posted By: arKic

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:19 PM

Silence in Ozark
Posted By: James

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:26 PM

Here. Had one talking with the crows just a while ago.....
Posted By: cchoque93

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:34 PM

Not where I’m at arKic
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:49 PM

Ya'll git em... I'm working till saturday

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:57 PM

Got one gobbling good bw me and my brother. Slipping around to try and call in for him
Posted By: laylandad

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 12:58 PM

Silence is all I've heard so far...and my teeth chattering!

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 01:20 PM

[Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 01:21 PM

[Linked Image][/img]

Pretty work
Posted By: J.R.

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 01:34 PM

Good job Turkey Neck
Posted By: CD

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 01:43 PM

Following along from work. Congrats on the kills so far! My son called and he and a buddy doubled up. He’s killed a few, but these are the first ones he’s ever called in on his own. He’s definitely hooked now! Waiting on pics. CD.

Pic added.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: olcountry

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 01:57 PM

He gone
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by CD
Following along from work. Congrats on the kills so far! My son called and he and a buddy doubled up. He’s killed a few, but these are the first ones he’s ever called in on his own. He’s definitely hooked now! Waiting on pics. CD.

thumbup
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 01:59 PM

Mine started hammering at 630 this morning. And they are still on the roost. Reckon why
Posted By: CD

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bowtarist
Mine started hammering at 630 this morning. And they are still on the roost. Reckon why

They skeered!

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 02:04 PM

Well they need to hurry I got crappie to catch
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 02:20 PM

You been calling to them some?
Posted By: blumsden

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco

This is what I was wondering. They probably waiting on the hens they hear to walk under their tree.
Posted By: JLavender

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 02:35 PM

Boom! 8:57
Posted By: Zbrann

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 03:35 PM

reading this from my office is torture..... but I can't look away.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 03:42 PM

congrats to the killas
Posted By: mikewhandley

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 03:48 PM

congrats on all of yall that made it happen. I got on a bird early that gobbled about 20 times but the hens took him from there. I had to go to work. Good luck if you are still out there chasing them.
Posted By: North40R

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:12 PM

Congrats on the kills!
Posted By: Smells

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:30 PM

One answered my sad sounding owl call from the next ridge at about 6:10. One more call to pinpoint where he was at and then I got set up. Gobbled on his own a couple minutes later and I answered with some soft yelps. Gobbled again and I answered once more and decided that was it I wasn't talking anymore. It seemed like he was still roosted. 5 min later he gobbled again and I was silent. 1 minute later he gobbled again and I grinned because I figured I had him. But .... he didn't do what he was supposed to do. Instead of flying down and walking my way that sucker flew what I think was about 150 yds from his ridge, across the bottom, to my ridge and landed in the top of a pine tree maybe 10 yds from me. I was trapped. He was so close that I would have had to tilt my head up to see him which I was afraid to do. I didn't move a muscle for about 10 minutes. He finally started gobbling at some crows and I figured he was looking in their direction so I slowly looked up. I didn't know what to do. I figured at that point all I could do was hope he called up a hen that could get him on the ground but that never happened. 7 gobbles and about 30 minutes later he finally got his head lined up with a hole in the canopy that couldn't have been any bigger than an orange, and he locked on to me. I'm pretty sure he didn't really know what he was looking at he just knew he didn't like it, started getting fidgety, finally putted twice and flew off.

What the heck do you do in a situation like that? What can you do? I was just trying to be as still and quiet as possible hoping a hen would come along and get him on the ground.

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:36 PM

Wait till he’s looking away get your gun up and shoot him off the limb next time.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:39 PM

When you need a hen, there no where to be found. You did what I would have done, for a while, and then I would have tried to shoot him off the limb
Posted By: Clem

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:40 PM

Skyline WMA was damned sure quiet this morning. A few birds sounding off but no hunters, which was nice. Midweek openers are great.
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:40 PM

Finally got a bird to gobble at 7:20, probably gobbled 25-30 times, mostly on his own for the next hour, and then eventually went silent. Sat til 9:30 and never seen or heard from him again. I'd guess some hens that were apparently sexier than I sounded carried him off somewhere. Had to pack it in and head to work.
Posted By: BIG-AL

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:51 PM

My son and I doubled up this morning. He managed to miss one at 25yds. 30 min later at 9:30 we had two flopping. Heard 14 this morning in Perry Co.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:52 PM

Congrats on the kills fellas!

He dead at 11:25!! Better late than never. Plus a bonus coyote, that ran off the first birds I was working.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zbrann
reading this from my office is torture..... but I can't look away.

So true
Posted By: Parker243

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:54 PM

Congrats on the kills! Great weather for an opening day!
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:56 PM

It’s been a long time since I’ve got on a hard gobbling Jake in Bama this early. He can count his blessings his running buddy stepped in the road first. They were at 15 steps when he gobbled in my face and half strutted. It was a fun hunt even though I didn’t burn powder.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Smells
One answered my sad sounding owl call from the next ridge at about 6:10. One more call to pinpoint where he was at and then I got set up. Gobbled on his own a couple minutes later and I answered with some soft yelps. Gobbled again and I answered once more and decided that was it I wasn't talking anymore. It seemed like he was still roosted. 5 min later he gobbled again and I was silent. 1 minute later he gobbled again and I grinned because I figured I had him. But .... he didn't do what he was supposed to do. Instead of flying down and walking my way that sucker flew what I think was about 150 yds from his ridge, across the bottom, to my ridge and landed in the top of a pine tree maybe 10 yds from me. I was trapped. He was so close that I would have had to tilt my head up to see him which I was afraid to do. I didn't move a muscle for about 10 minutes. He finally started gobbling at some crows and I figured he was looking in their direction so I slowly looked up. I didn't know what to do. I figured at that point all I could do was hope he called up a hen that could get him on the ground but that never happened. 7 gobbles and about 30 minutes later he finally got his head lined up with a hole in the canopy that couldn't have been any bigger than an orange, and he locked on to me. I'm pretty sure he didn't really know what he was looking at he just knew he didn't like it, started getting fidgety, finally putted twice and flew off.

What the heck do you do in a situation like that? What can you do? I was just trying to be as still and quiet as possible hoping a hen would come along and get him on the ground.

Its wrong to launch one off the roost tree. But I'll be damned if I dont shoot one from a limb if he flys onto it while Im calling him in. Cant have those smart turkeys in the gene pool.
Posted By: TR

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler

Its wrong to launch one off the roost tree. But I'll be damned if I dont shoot one from a limb if he flys onto it while Im calling him in. Cant have those smart turkeys in the gene pool.

I agree with this. If he ain't playin fair then I ain't either.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 05:22 PM

Should have limb launched him
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 05:32 PM

I would've shot him outta the air. breast out cupped up trying to land like a duck
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 05:35 PM

Let the 20 eat at 9:15. Largest bird I’ve ever killed. 22 lbs 12 oz.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 06:49 PM

Congrats to the killers. Hopefully I will be in that group by this time tomorrow.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

Skyline WMA was damned sure quiet this morning. A few birds sounding off but no hunters, which was nice. Midweek openers are great.

I bet, want to meet me there tomorrow?
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by TR
Originally Posted by AUwrestler

I agree with this. If he ain't playin fair then I ain't either.

Amen

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 07:30 PM

Called one up and dad killed him at 10:50am. 11" beard, 1" spurs 16lbs
Posted By: demp17

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 08:03 PM

Found one that just absolutely wanted to die, I tried everything in my power to make him smart and live a longer life but he just wasn't having it. Slipping along a field edge about 645 this morning I stop look up the mountain and do some cutting on my trusty ol copper call. Not 100 yards behind me in a wide open field he hammers, so I can't move and i really don't think the turkey knew why he gobbled but he did. He gradually figured out that tall thing up on the road wasn't a turkey and left. Got the royal screw up out of the way early this year!!! All i had to do was just look in the wide open field and i'd had a perfect setup for him because he was all by himself and actually working straight toward where i was standing....IDOT!!! I go try another spot still horse cussing myself for not looking into the field before hitting the call, have no luck at the other spot. So about an hour later I figured that since he was by himself earlier that he may just still want some action so back around the field i go. I stop hit my copper call and he hammers right above where I saw him earlier, this time he was in the mountain. I get setup on the road and he commences to putting on show full of strutting and gobbling and spitting and drumming for the next half hour.. He finally comes down the mountain but in the worst spot possible, behind me, he gets behind some trees so i roll onto my belly and wait for him to pop out in the road behind me. He does and gets a dose of tss, i guess he thought he was hulk because he popped back up and tried to get up the mountain and got another dose of tss, that finished him off. Didn't weight him but i'd guess he had to be close to 20lbs, had a 10" beard and 1" spurs.

Darn happy to get back out in the woods and enjoy the Good Lord's awesome work!
Posted By: Booger

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 08:33 PM

Called in 3 and heard 3 others gobbling. My pastor killed one of the 3 that came in. It was his first turkey kill. It was a beautiful morning.
Posted By: rrhunter

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 08:38 PM

Pike county is shy a two year old. Had the chance to double and my buddy couldn't get on his bird good. Called in three from two different directions and my decoys took a good whoopin

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 08:47 PM

Stayed after em all day with this beautiful weather but haven't heard anything since dad killed that one earlier. Hopefully one will sound off. Do any of you have any luck with afternoon gobbling early in the year? I know the will gobble good once hens start nesting I just don't know about now

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco

I hunted on the youth hunt last week. Other than that I did a few tree yelps long after all the other hens were talking. I've never seen anything like it.
Posted By: AC870

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 09:42 PM

Posting for Turkeyboy:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: specialk

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 10:48 PM

Congrats to all the killers!
Posted By: albowhntr

Re: LFTW - 03/15/18 11:06 PM

Got on 2 about 645. Got him dead at 7:45 1st kill with 20 and tss. Tore his noggin up
Posted By: MTeague

Re: LFTW - 03/16/18 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Clem

smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM