Aldeer.com

New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations

Posted By: sdw

New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 02:37 AM

How high do y’all climb? How does the height you climb compare in relation to deer season? Do you climb more or less as the season progresses? And is there ever a scenario where you would climb the same tree your target gobbler is roosted in?
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 02:38 AM

Hey Brandon, bring the hammer over here
Posted By: AC870

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 02:50 AM

I hunt em from ladders so my height don’t change.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:04 AM

Sheetrock stilts
Posted By: bward85

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:09 AM

You gotta be careful not to climb the tree he is roosted in too.....just go up about head high to begin with...then adjust after daylight.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:13 AM

Also have to pay close attention to thermals. That and barometric pressure dictates how high you climb
Posted By: foldemup

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:19 AM

Just smoke a joint and stay in the truck

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:24 AM

Make sure to hide your orange hat too.....this time of year I use a suggin....makes it easy to take off and hide it in a pocket.
Posted By: Mike32

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:32 AM

Best to climb as high as possible in a rotten tree, that way you know he isn’t roosted in it
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:34 AM

Turkeys don't see very well but can smell better than deer. You should have no problem bagging a limit as long as you approach them from downwind. It's gotten so easy I'm about to give it up and go trap hairy beavers.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:34 AM

Don’t over complicate things. Just be within 40 yards of the scratch feed and you’ll be fine.

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bamaturkeykilla
Turkeys don't see very well but can smell better than deer. You should have no problem bagging a limit as long as you approach them from downwind. It's gotten so easy I'm about to give it up and go trap hairy beavers.

Hairy beavers are ok.....but the hairless variety is far better. laugh

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Avengedsevenfold
Also have to pay close attention to thermals. That and barometric pressure dictates how high you climb
Won’t the thermals change as you climb? Is there any specialized equipment you recommend? Or is there a certain height that seems to be a common “sweet spot”?

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by foldemup
Isn’t hunting from a vehicle illegal?

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

Don’t over complicate things. Just be within 40 yards of the scratch feed and you’ll be fine.
Did the baiting bill pass? Or has it always been legal for turkeys? This turkey hunting may be easier than I thought.
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by sdw

Yes, but, in Alabama, so is shooting or hunting a turkey from an elevated tree stand with a firearm.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 04:06 AM

I try to match their height in a tree as close to his tree as I can get. It makes it real easy to limb launch him as soon as the sky starts lightening up and I can see him.

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by turkey_killer
Originally Posted by sdw
[quote=foldemup]Just smoke a joint and stay in the truck
Is this a joke? What’s your favorite brand of tennis shoes? You can’t be serious and have the name “turkey killer”. There isn’t any distinction between elevation any more than there is between “property lines” If you’re just trying to stay below radar then you didn’t have to comment.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by turkey_killer
Originally Posted by sdw

Yes, but, in Alabama, so is shooting or hunting a turkey from an elevated tree stand with a firearm.

Wait what? Sitting in my summit , 22 lr in hand waiting for the pink mist is my favorite part of turkey killing. They cant turn down hen n heat scent stick, or those yellow acorns that fall in a pile.
Did you mean centerfire/rimfire. Cause 99% of turkeys are killed by a firearm. I choose 12 gauge.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 12:24 PM

I quit climbing a few years back. I got one of these:

[Linked Image]

Then painted it like a hen turkey. I sit right in the middle of my decoy spread and kill them like crazy.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 12:52 PM

What in the wid wide world of sports did i just stumble into....
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 12:53 PM

Treestands.....turkeys......huh....?
Posted By: bama1157

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 01:30 PM

Well when I am after a field bird I always break out the hot air balloon, it's quite and I can sneak up on them, it's a fact turkeys never look up....
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 02:14 PM

As high as you want. Just make sure you use a bright yellow light as you walk through the woods and while you climb. That's called the attention getter.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 02:17 PM

OP writes too well to be legit questions.
If'n he'da wrote like a Teague, thisun coulda gone 16 duzen pages grin
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 02:48 PM

lol
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 02:57 PM

Hunting turkeys from a tree is a great strategy in the afternoon. Find the roost tree and climb high in it well before fly up time at dark. When that ol boar tom flies up wait for him to go to sleep and whack him in da head.

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by sdw
Won’t the thermals change as you climb? Is there any specialized equipment you recommend? Or is there a certain height that seems to be a common “sweet spot”?

Thermals change as you climb?

No. Just PM Perch. He'll fill you in on the secret ritual to be able to make thermals your b!tch. Items needed: 2 chickens, brick dust, chalk, 2 dozen candles, rope, couple of sharp knives, and a Craigslist Ad for a Virgin.

Specialized equipment: A Vaporizer

Sweet Spot: at least 100 yards over on the neighbor and about 40 yards from their scratch feed
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 05:39 PM

Bare min height is 11" feet... that will keep you out of range of yeti's as they aren't big on climbing trees, not the ones in North AL anyway
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by sdw

Thermals change as you climb?

No. Just PM Perch. He'll fill you in on the secret ritual to be able to make thermals your b!tch. Items needed: 2 chickens, brick dust, chalk, 2 dozen candles, rope, couple of sharp knives, and a Craigslist Ad for a Virgin.

Specialized equipment: A Vaporizer

Sweet Spot: at least 100 yards over on the neighbor and about 40 yards from their scratch feed

You almost had it.... You left out the propeller hat.

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 07:16 PM

Damn. I did.

Bob Wallace is right. A propeller hat is crucial in determining which way the thermals are going
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by sdw
How high do y’all climb? How does the height you climb compare in relation to deer season? Do you climb more or less as the season progresses? And is there ever a scenario where you would climb the same tree your target gobbler is roosted in?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 11:12 PM

Don't forget to put the crickets out!!
Posted By: quailman

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/08/18 11:30 PM

Gonna see if this works...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/09/18 05:17 PM

You only have to climb as high as it takes to reach up and grab the gobbler by his legs...it depends on the bird. Some roost higher then others.

But hold on tight, they put up a heck of a fight. But once you get your drag rope around his neck and start strangling them they quit after a minute or too.

Remember to wear your safety harness too! thumbup

Good luck!
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/11/18 05:42 AM

My giggle box just turned over!
Posted By: bebo33

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/12/18 01:04 PM

Bless his heart! Stop teasing, everyone knows the black plastic bag method works best. Set up decoys (gobbler strut decoys must outnumber hen decoys 3 to 1). VERY IMPORTANT STEP! Set decoys up in the field in a semi/circle strutting gobblers on the outside hens toward the middle. You set up in between the two. Take black plastic bag and wait for gobbler to fly into your setup. Open the bag up and snatch him up. You can thank me later!
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/12/18 10:23 PM

I been seeing a lot of fresh turkey scrapes . Any chance anyone is seeing any chasing or rutting activity in north al yet ? Thanks in advance
Posted By: Justin Brown

Re: New turkey hunter help - climbing recommendations - 03/12/18 10:46 PM

If you are going to climb, you will need a minimum of 3 Ozonics Scent Elimination Devices per 10 feet off the ground you climb. You can't take scent elimination too far when it comes to turkeys.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM