Aldeer.com

Frustrated

Posted By: RTH

Frustrated - 04/12/17 11:03 AM

Man these suckers have me frustrated this year. Roosted one yesterday and watched that joker strut and gobble on the limb for an hour and a half. 2 hens fly down and I think I'm golden only to have him fly down in the complete opposite direction. Not a sound once on the ground. Hour and a half later and nothing. I tell you how bad it is. North 40 went in and worked overtime today instead of hunting these non gobbling jokers. Other than the one I killed the first week, and one I would have killed if not for a coyote it has been a very sad season. All these posts of people killing turkeys make me green with envy.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 11:08 AM

It's definitely been a strange season, I have yet to hear one just wearing it out gobbling, this past weekend was some of the prettiest morning you could ask for and Saturday and Sunday I only heard one bird gobble once both morning and where I was you should be able to hear a long ways
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 11:14 AM

worst season vocally I've ever been involved with. out of the turkeys I've seen die only two of them gobbled. I hate hunting turkeys like this too but I really love killin em so I keep going back each morning just hoping to hear one actually gobble like I want
Posted By: North40R

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 01:15 PM

The woes of the weary turkey hunter!

You just have to learn to enjoy the hunt more Ol'buddy! Relax and take in the beauty of a crisp spring morning. Listen to the forest wake up and appreciate every little thing involved!

I know you've been hunting really hard so maybe you need to take a break. Go on back to work and give it about 10 days then come back and try again!
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 01:24 PM

Usually I just stand on the tallest hill to listen and don't move until I hear one or leave to check another spot. But everything has greened up so much that unless you're pretty dang close, you're jus not gonna hear him. If not for slipping along a ridge, during first light, I wouldn't have heard the last two birds I worked. Maybe my hearing is just bad but I'd try covering more ground at gobbling light instead of remaining stationary. Moving 100 yards can make a whole lotta difference in hearing one this time of year.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 01:32 PM

Man take a few days off and rest. A little break from hunting them might be just what you and the birds need. Sometimes you just have to walk away. If not we sometimes get frustrated and careless and do more harm than good...
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 02:59 PM

Hope this lightens your mood a bit bud... This song was born from first-hand experiences, I promise ya that... smile

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R

You just have to learn to enjoy the hunt more Ol'buddy! Relax and take in the beauty of a crisp spring morning. Listen to the forest wake up and appreciate every little thing involved!

I know you've been hunting really hard so maybe you need to take a break. Go on back to work and give it about 10 days then come back and try again!

You wouldn't be saying that for selfish reasons would you? Like you want it all to yourself. I'm swapping up tomorrow and going to try some where else. Don't forget I really know you North40. And I told you that's easy for you to say. You have already killed 4.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RTH

You wouldn't be saying that for selfish reasons would you? Like you want it all to yourself. I'm swapping up tomorrow and going to try some where else. Don't forget I really know you North40. And I told you that's easy for you to say. You have already killed 4.
Alright North 40, better say something back to redeem yourself...not looking too good for you

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 03:49 PM

You wouldn't be saying that for selfish reasons would you? Like you want it all to yourself.

Well I never! I don't even know how you could think that! I'm at work today and encouraged you and tried to help you kill a turkey this morning. How many times have you ever sat down behind me when we were on a turkey? How many out of state spots have I taken you to and put you on birds?

I just don't understand these ungrateful hunters today! It's all about instant gratification! Turkeys don't jump in your lap and all of a sudden it's somebody else's fault!

Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 03:59 PM

You might just want to hang it up pal, take it easy, quit..... it ain't for everyone.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:00 PM

You wouldn't be saying that for selfish reasons would you? Like you want it all to yourself.

Well I never! I don't even know how you could think that! I'm at work today and encouraged you and tried to help you kill a turkey this morning. How many times have you ever sat down behind me when we were on a turkey? How many out of state spots have I taken you to and put you on birds?

I just don't understand these ungrateful hunters today! It's all about instant gratification! Turkeys don't jump in your lap and all of a sudden it's somebody else's fault!

Dang, maybe go fishing
Posted By: soalaturkeys

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:03 PM

popcorn
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:05 PM

Have been in the same position before so I sure understand. But, while sitting in flippin Stratford, CT, at least you are getting to go and when you're going...things are subject to change any minute. I would bet my life savings I ain't gonna hear one gobble in this damn conference room.

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:08 PM

Yes you did encourage me and I did do exactly as you said. You are normally up on me so I dang sure ain't setting behind you. We normally set side by side now. I'm not ungrateful at all. Instant gratification? I've been chasing them every day since last Friday. I'm on vacation so shouldn't I want to kill one.You are the one that gave me this dang disease. lol I'm very grateful to be hunting. Hey why don't you take 10 days off and come back and try it again. All in fun old buddy. I got to hunt with my dad 2 days and you one morning. It's been good except for the uncooperative turkeys.

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:12 PM

[/quote]

Dang, maybe go fishing[/quote]

I hate fishing!
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:14 PM

Last year was worst ever for gobbling in my areas. I haven't heard many burn it up this year, but I've heard a turkey most mornings. Just hang in there; you never know the day they decide to talk.

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:16 PM

Yeah Brandon you right. I wish all of them would quit. Cause I dang sure ain't. If I only had one of those magical mouth calls. No popcorn needed. We have went on a many trip together and he was the best man in my wedding. We just like to mess with one another.

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:20 PM

If I only had one of those magical mouth calls. No popcorn .

I gave you a handful of calls already and offered to make you some new ones tonight after work!

You just can't satisfy some folks! Lol!

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:30 PM

The tape came off both of them.

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:36 PM

Sounds like he knows you best and knows its time for you to hang it up. smile He has all them fancy calls and new fangled tss loads, bet he ain't even sharing is he?

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:36 PM

He knew you weren't gonna be hunting much longer and gave you seconds.

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:37 PM

That takes 2 minutes to fix!

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:40 PM

That takes 2 minutes to fix!

Why waste tape at this point. Seasons over dude, save the good stuff for yourself

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT
He has all them fancy calls and new fangled tss loads, bet he ain't even sharing is he?

Made calls and loaded shells Sunday afternoon and still have the text where I invited him!

He has all them fancy calls and new fangled tss loads, bet he ain't even sharing is he?

Made calls and loaded shells Sunday afternoon and still have the text where I invited him!

See, tried to help and he didn't want helped.

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 04:56 PM

He met some famous turkey killer and pushed me to the side. He did invite me over to load some TSS. I've been living in the shadow of his big head for to long. I had to do my own thing.... it just ain't working. rofl
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 06:13 PM

Dang Hank looks like you can't have nothing nice !
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 06:30 PM

He knew you weren't gonna be hunting much longer and gave you seconds.

LOL..he did that deliberately to screw up your hunting for sure.

Seems like ole North40 knows how to keep his birds safe...lol.

grin

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 08:05 PM

He met some famous turkey killer and pushed me to the side. He did invite me over to load some TSS. I've been living in the shadow of his big head for to long. I had to do my own thing.... it just ain't working. rofl

Don't tell him but I just keep him around because his wife is way to good looking for him and she is gonna let me have all his turkey hunting rights next year while he is working double time to buy tss and call tape with adhesive on it this time. smile

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 08:36 PM

Got his calls ready!

Yekrut you can come hunt with me but I'll be damned if I'm leaving you and Mama here together! Lol!
Posted By: MsN40R

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 08:49 PM

RTH, give us time to take pictures and clean our double in the morning and I will make biscuits with ham and red-eye gravy. You should be done listening by then....let's say maybe by 9 breakfast will be served!AND for Yekrut, you know he ain't working no overtime during turkey season! Haha!
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 09:18 PM

I gave you a handful of calls already and offered to make you some new ones tonight after work!

I don't know what's wrong with your Mayhem Mouth call....hell mine worked so well I had to shoot this one at 12 feet in self defense!!!!

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

I don't know what's wrong with your Mayhem Mouth call....hell mine worked so well I had to shoot this one at 12 feet in self defense!!!!

Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Frustrated - 04/12/17 09:43 PM

Damn turkey hunters. Ungrateful bunch of assholes. Every one of them laugh
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Frustrated - 04/13/17 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
Damn turkey hunters. Ungrateful bunch of assholes. Every one of them laugh

Yep. Hell some of us haven't been turkey hunting since last April. Gonna leave today and finally head up to the camp for a few days and will probably be the only trip I get to make this year. So you want to talk about frustration, this it it. On a good note I get to the North40s and maybe Hank will push you completely out and let me in because I have the duck hunting area for him. And I'm a famous duck hunter so.

Re: Frustrated - 04/13/17 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
I haven't heard many burn it up this year, but I've heard a turkey most mornings.

Ditto around here. But, that's "normal"; I've grown to expect public land hunting experiences on my private land anymore, w.r.t. gobbling.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Frustrated - 04/13/17 08:35 AM

Me too. No birds to play with.

Re: Frustrated - 04/13/17 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Whild_Bill
Me too. No birds to play with.

No crickets, no birds
© 2024 ALDEER.COM