Aldeer.com

light or not

Posted By: Smells

light or not - 04/06/17 06:34 PM

I'm setting up on a trail in some short pines about 125 yds from a roost tree located in a hardwood bottom. It's pretty nasty in there. If I use a light once I get inside the pines I will make a lot less noise and lose a lot less blood. I don't think the light will be seen in there but I don't know and am not 100% certain of roost location.

Opinions on whether I should use it or not please.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 06:43 PM

Use it keep it pointed down the bird can see you regardless..
Posted By: sj22

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 06:55 PM

Lights are not to be used turkey hunting
Posted By: BrentM

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 06:58 PM

No lights
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 06:59 PM

No light for me
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 07:02 PM

NoNoNoNo! I wish I could find that thread where 3ffarms thought he wanted to be turkey hunter a few years ago and asked about driving his 4 wheeler to a spot laugh
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 07:03 PM

Yes. Stinger LED light. Shine it up on him to make sure he's still there
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

That's what whild bill does. He just knows what works for him.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 07:13 PM

laugh
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7
Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

That's what whild bill does. He just knows what works for him.
it's blinds the PBT, he gets disoriented and looses his footing on the limb. Falls right out of the tree
Posted By: dBmV

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 08:49 PM

I don't use a light unless I absolutely have to, but when I do I use a red light. I've often wondered if they can see it.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 09:06 PM

No light at all
Posted By: bullet355

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 09:09 PM

I use a green pen light and keep it pointed at the ground. Go in early. Ive setup right under them without spooking them.
Posted By: blade

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 09:23 PM

No light
Posted By: Out back

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 10:14 PM

When I'm forced to use a light, I use my smallest pen light and cover it with my hand. I will open my grip just enough to illuminate the area right at my feet. I like to go 100% lights out for turkeys. Keen bustards they are.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: light or not - 04/06/17 10:19 PM

Never ever use a light when setting up on a bird.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 04:20 AM

If its pitch dark and walking a logging road etc I don't think it hurts a thing. If your are walking the woods and set up with in ear shot and sight of him it might. I often hunt birds that roost with in 100 yds of the road on the wma that see a dozen 4wheelers roar right by them right before daylight and they gobble just fine off the roost. I remember hunting a bird years ago that would roost at time over a main road often within a rocks throw of a main parking area. I think it depends on what they are used to.I still don't use one however.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 06:57 AM

no dang lights.
Posted By: Brent

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 07:15 AM

No light for me but I'm the worst turkey hunter ever.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 11:06 AM

No light
Posted By: Mully

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 11:20 AM

No lights!
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 11:27 AM

I generally roll in full LED strip, glass pack mufflers, ALDeer stickers all over my windows & bumper, jammin' Van Halen "Runnin' With The Devil" & drinking whiskey ... but that's just me...

[jk no light dude]
Posted By: garykwray

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BamaGuitarDude
I generally roll in full LED strip, glass pack mufflers, ALDeer stickers all over my windows & bumper, jammin' Van Halen "Runnin' With The Devil" & drinking whiskey ... but that's just me...

[jk no light dude]

Can I go hunting with you! LOL

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: garykwray

[jk no light dude]

Can I go hunting with you! LOL

Sure, c'mon man!! Actually I do all that chit at the house, and THEN go hunting ... grin thumbup
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 02:05 PM

No light for me .... but I also travel very slowly as to not make any noise
Posted By: Out back

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 03:41 PM

You must have been in Perry county this morning. Three birds went to gobbling right after you left. gun

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 04:39 PM

Well, I used no light and it made no difference 'cause there was no turkey. He must have spent the night at the lake house.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 04:49 PM

Take a piece of duct tape and punch a hole in it and put it over your light. This will give just enough light to move through the woods and it is not bright enough for the turkey to see.

I have to do this maybe once a year when we have a new moon and I have to slip into a roost area.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7
NoNoNoNo! I wish I could find that thread where 3ffarms thought he wanted to be turkey hunter a few years ago and asked about driving his 4 wheeler to a spot laugh

Wait, what wrong with riding a 4 wheeler up close to where the gobbler is roosting. There's nothing in the first time hunters thread that said we shouldn't roll up in the turkey woods with a busted muffler 4 wheeler. Is it ok as long as I don't turn the lights on?

Re: light or not - 04/07/17 07:01 PM

I got all excited this morning when I heard a truck roll up on the far side of the hardwood bottom where I thought my bird was. My thinking was he would push him right to me. His truck wasn't loud, actually did not hear the truck at all but there is no mistaking wheels on gravel. Anyway, it didn't work, I think the bird spent the night elsewhere.

Re: light or not - 04/10/17 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Out back

You must have been in Perry county this morning. Three birds went to gobbling right after you left. gun

My kind are in every county, bro wink LOL
© 2024 ALDEER.COM