Aldeer.com

First time hunter vest ?

Posted By: jaybuckman

First time hunter vest ? - 02/01/17 07:31 PM

First time turkey hunter trying out the sport. What would be a good starter turkey vest to buy and have enough room to grow with as I buy box calls slate calls and mouth calls. Thanks for the help
Posted By: jbc

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/01/17 07:43 PM

One with a thick seat
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/01/17 09:28 PM

The cabelas brands tatters are good vests for the money. They make a smaller one for around $70 that's big enough for beginners that has a really good seat on it. The cabelas in Huntsville and a pile of em in the bargain cave for like $40 not too long ago.

I hunt with a super elite 3. Damn great vest. My absolute favorite
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 12:26 AM

I don't use a vest...I like to have a fat boy cushion strapped to my waist and a backpack so I can slip easy...
Posted By: bama1157

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Gobble4me757
I don't use a vest...I like to have a fat boy cushion strapped to my waist and a backpack so I can slip easy...
This is how i roll also, I have thought about buying a vest but I am used to the backpack now..
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 09:31 AM

Like hevi said.... super elite 3. I tried an ol tom last year and hated it.
Posted By: surgical_grade

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7

which Old Tom did you try? The OT full cotton is literally the same vest as the super elite 3.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: surgical_grade

which Old Tom did you try? The OT full cotton is literally the same vest as the super elite 3.
it's got a magnetic seat cushion which fall down constantly
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bama1157
Originally Posted By: Gobble4me757
This is how i roll also, I have thought about buying a vest but I am used to the backpack now..

+2
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: surgical_grade

The time and motion. That ol tom that's the same as the super elite is gonna run you $140 too. Super elites are back in stock at the mossy oak store for $79 and free shipping. Got me one in green leaf on the way!
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: jbc
One with a thick seat
thumbup
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 06:08 PM

Take a look at these . I love mine , didn't take me long to figure out vests are TOO HOT.

http://tomteasers.com/quicksack.html
Posted By: AC870

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/02/17 11:32 PM

I got the Ol Tom Time and Motion. It's kind of a minimalist vest. Not a ton of pockets. I've got kind of an off brand - can't remember the brand - that has tons of pockets. Been using it deer hunting and it's really grown on me. I've started stuffing a neoprene cushion in my game pouch cause the seat on most vests ain't worth a flip.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/03/17 12:40 AM

Find the one with the thickest seat and at least 100 pockets. If you are new to the sport u will need every call known to man. U will never use but 2 of them but u will convince yourself u need all of them. 2 years later, u I'll still need a vest with a thick seat but only 5-10 pockets
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/03/17 12:40 PM

I love my Super Elite....actually have 2, one is still new with tags on it. I love how everything has a specific place - I could reach and put my hand on every single item in the vest with my eyes closed because it's always in its own spot. It's also become almost like a security blanket for me. truth be told, I could narrow it down to just a few items 90% of the time, and just stick them in cargo pockets, but I have to have my vest. It's just a mental thing.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/03/17 12:46 PM

Bucklick Creek is the best one I've ever had. If I had to buy something else, I would find one that didn't have a cushion on it. Or, at least, be able to cut it off. And it would have to be able to haul a bird out, comfortably, in the game pouch.

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/03/17 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Bucklick Creek is the best one I've ever had. If I had to buy something else, I would find one that didn't have a cushion on it. Or, at least, be able to cut it off. And it would have to be able to haul a bird out, comfortably, in the game pouch.

You must hunt off one of the little turkey stools.

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/03/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870

Nope

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/03/17 08:54 PM

Nope

Fatboy?

Re: First time hunter vest ? - 02/03/17 09:24 PM

Nope

Fatboy?

Not familiar with that sest or best. The cushions on the best always got in my way and were aggravating to me.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM