Aldeer.com

Strange Bird

Posted By: notfromhere

Strange Bird - 04/27/15 05:29 PM

I am new to turkey hunting. What I read from most of you is that when you get a bird interested do not over call. So Saturday in the lightening and rain I am on a bird. Just as I get set up and he gobbles from a tree about 100 yds away. I let him gobble a few more times before I decide sound off. When he flies down he lands on the other side of a deep creek (guess he didnt like my call). He is sounding off so I give him a little more. which seemed to get him closer by the sound of things. then he starts heading up the ridge on his side. I keep hearing him further so i get up and cross over. I get within 100 yrds and set up then sound off. It got his attention because he started moving closer to me. I shut up and get ready. then the lightening hit and he shut up. I just sat there till it passed. He starts to gobble from across the creek 300 yrds away. I move back over to about parallel on a hill with him. he is in a field over the property line. i set up and sound off. He moves down the hill to where it is easy to cross the line. I move down to a great spot. he sounds off, this time i dont yelp, I cut with my mouth piece. He seemed to like that alot as he moved quickly in my direction. I make out his movement through the brush about 120 yrds away. I know it is the time so i shut up and get real still. Next time i hear him he is over 300 yrds away. I move down to where he came back out of the field (seen his tracks) and set up. He just kept moving away. He got into a swampy area over the property line. I hope he is there next season because the area is now closed. I had a blast hunting him but was sorely disappointed coming home empty. I guess I should of picked up on him needing to hear something sooner before he was gone. This same bird on opening morning I set up (unknowingly) 20 yrds from his roost when he sounded off I moved and He saw me and flew off. Do you suppose that he remembered the sound of my call? That would be one smart bird. I only hunted him 4 times through the season. I was starting to think maybe he was a bird out of the closet. slap

Well if you read all that thank you. I will add that to my learning.
Posted By: gobblinfever

Re: Strange Bird - 04/27/15 05:57 PM

Just take it in stride brotha

Learn all u can from your mistakes because you are gonna make plenty but if you figure out your mistake you will become better and better

Good luck
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Strange Bird - 04/27/15 06:08 PM

More often than not less is more, especially this late in the season. Sometimes though and almost inexplicably they just like to be called to.
Posted By: ACP

Re: Strange Bird - 04/28/15 03:20 PM

I don't know how long all this took place, whether it was an hour or 4hours, but it sounds like an awful lot of moving "towards" him in a short amount of time. I would have moved out front of him (if possible), but more than likely I would have moved away from him and called aggressive and even done a gobbler call after moving away. Not that what you did was wrong, I've done the same thing. But I only keep following them from behind when time is tight or it's the last time I'm gonna chase him for awhile. I call it "Bump him or kill him", cause one of the two has got to happen soon or I have to leave. If I can hunt him again soon, I'm letting him walk on off and we'll do it again soon.
Posted By: notfromhere

Re: Strange Bird - 04/28/15 05:52 PM

thanks guys for the advise. Yes he started at 0530 and the last i heard him was 1100. I dont know what he was moving to. I thought it was strange that he was heading up the other ridge and because there is only tall pines up there. i was set up between him and a field. after going half way up the ridge he then headed back to the creek where it was flat and he could walk across (Very small creek). i dont know why he finally ended up down in the swamp bottom but I guess it was because i was after him. I dont know. but thanks again for the advice.
Posted By: ACP

Re: Strange Bird - 04/28/15 07:09 PM

Just remember the same ol' rule's apply...
Sweety britches will make you do some crazy shiz!!

On a brighter note, next year his hooks will be even longer!!!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM