Aldeer.com

TSS shot trap How-To

Posted By: BOFF

TSS shot trap How-To - 03/19/15 02:25 PM

Aright a quicky post as asked by several. It can be done cheaper, but this is what I had on hand lumber wise

What is needed.

All treated lumber:

1 10ft 2x10" cut in half.
1 8ft 2x6" cut in half
2 8ft 2x4" cut in half
1 8ft 1x6" cut per inside measurement of trap
1 8ft 1x4" cut per inside measurement of trap
1 16ft 2x2" cut to four 4 ft pieces
1 4x3 20ga. sheet metal
4 carpet runners from Lowes cut to 38" each (comes in 3 ft width)
1 tube of liquid nails
I used 2" and 3" deck screws

Cut notch out of top of 2x10" boards to allow the four 2x2"s with the carpet runners attached to rest on top.

Attach 2x6s" to 2x10s" for the legs.

Attach two 2x4s" across the bottom of the 2x10s" for support.

Place 3x4 20ga sheet metal with 4ft section as width placed just below the notches cut out of 2x10s. No need to have sheet metal behind the four 2x2s". It just needs to be behind the carpet runners.

The sheet metal will bow, so I drilled in the four corners of the metal, holes which would line up with the edge of the 2x10s. Screw a deck screw in each corner and then with a 2x4, place it across the top of the metal to square the frame up. (It does better to have the Trap standing to keep the metal from bowing. Place another 2x4" at the bottom of the metal. Drill holes in the metal and screw into the top and bottom 2x4s from the inside of the trap, and drill holes on backside of metal to drill into the 2x10s.

I used a staple gun and attached the carpet runners to the 2x2"s. I placed 2 on the far right side, and 2 on the far left side. Alternate each, ie. far right, far left, far right, far left.

Place carpet runners in the slot, and measure across the frame to get the width of your trough for the 1x6s". Place in a V to catch the shot. I also added a 1x4" on the top of the outer 1x6 to make a taller lip. Though difficult, I screwed the deck screws from outside the 2x10s into the side of the 1x6's. Just go slow and watch for the head of the screw coming through the wood to make sure it is aligned to enter the 1x6s.

Use the liquid nails to close in the gaps of the v bottom, and where the sheet metal makes contact with the inner 2x10s

I know I didn't cover all the details, but hopefully this will suffice.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 03/19/15 02:28 PM

Alright, I recovered for the first shot .166 ounces of shot from the mats and 1.33 oz of shot from the tray. A total of 1.496 ounces of shot out of 1.623 ounces.
That's 92.17% recovery of TSS!!

Shot recovered from 2nd shot of 1.625 ounces was 1.5266 ounces.
That's a 93.94% recovery.

Ok. shot recovered from third shot of 1.598 ounces was 1.4882 ounces.
That's a 93.12% recovery.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: wareagle22

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 03/19/15 02:43 PM

Your trap looks a lot like mine. Thanks for posting all the pics with the details. This is a must for anyone that shoots TSS. It allows you to shoot a lot of different chokes to find the optimal one for your setup. I've shot mine 23 times this year and recovered 21.5 of them.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 03/19/15 04:33 PM

We recovered 9 out of every 10 shells, to be exact 87% of shot. If you only use it once it will pay for it self in recovered shot. Your results are very similar. But as squeaky cautioned, don't shoot it at 20yds it will put a softball size hole in the carpet runners.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 03/20/15 07:15 AM

Great post, thanks for taking the time. Maybe theyll sticky it.
Posted By: Les7603006

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 04/05/15 08:10 PM

Just what I've been looking for.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 04/05/15 08:30 PM

I assume you use it at 40 yards? And where do you put your target, directly on the first carpet runner ?

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 04/05/15 09:12 PM

No,

I tape contractors paper from the top, outer 2x2 to the bottom 1X4.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 01/31/17 09:05 PM

Update on this trap after two years.

The liquid nails has come loose. I simple just placed a white garbage bag, which was cut down the sides at the seams, to make a long piece of plastic.

I placed the plastic bag to where it covered the whole bottom of the trap(V) section. remove bag as if it rains, water will collect in the bag.

I also use an automotive extender with a magnet on it to collect the shot.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 05/23/18 12:50 PM

Is photobucket working now?

Some sites are showing old pictures?

God Bless,
David B.

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 02/25/19 07:16 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Liquid nails which will eventually coming loose.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: sj22

Re: TSS shot trap How-To - 02/25/19 08:03 PM

^^^^^ that’s how I made mine and it worked great!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM