Aldeer.com

Wheeler Hogs?

Posted By: Robert14

Wheeler Hogs? - 12/03/14 01:02 PM

Any wish to share where they are? I've heard They're out there but don't know where. Thanks.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/03/14 01:07 PM

Between I-65, U.S. 20/72, U.S. 31 and the river is probably the area to concentrate in, last I knew about. I've been told that they have migrated east into the Mooresville and Limestone Creek area, too, and even further east over toward the airport.
Posted By: El_Matador

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/03/14 02:10 PM

I sure haven't seen any, but I'd love to stick one if I see them.
Posted By: CAM

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/03/14 02:20 PM

I thought they had been eradicated????
Posted By: DoeMaster

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/03/14 02:27 PM

I heard one last year while duck hunting right on the border of the refuge on private land. This was south of Greenbrier.
Posted By: chevyman

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/03/14 07:03 PM

I don't know how they did it,but they are gone best I can tell!!
Posted By: Bamahunter01

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/03/14 08:57 PM

Havent seen any in years but the last one I killed was near the interstate bridge. Saw some sign a couple years ago at Mooresville and Blackwell Swamp.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/04/14 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: chevyman
I don't know how they did it,but they are gone best I can tell!!

I dont understand it either, I can remember seeing 10-20 sometimes in the mornings about 10 years ago. Might be a few still around, but nowhere near as many as there was.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/04/14 04:53 PM

Federal Warden checked me one morning several years back and told me a disease killed them. Others have said they brought in snipers. Whatever it was it worked. Been hunting it regularly for about 5-6 years and have never seen one. You're supposed to report higs and deer that you kill and i think there has been one reported in the last several years and it was on the south side. But from the story they told me about it it made me think it was a domestic pig that got lose.
Posted By: Reyn

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/04/14 07:15 PM

I had also heard they contracted a disease which killed them off.
Posted By: N_AL_Slugger

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/04/14 08:44 PM

You'd think the eradication method would have been publicized considering the amount of hysteria around "hogs taking over the world".

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/04/14 09:29 PM

Well one thing that makes the sniper method more effetive if thats what happened is the terrain layout. The main area that contained them was the land west of i65 and north of the river. The river was a south boundary the ag fields and highway a north boundary and limestone creek an east boundary. They were nearly boxed in and the fact its all flat ground would have made it much easier than most places to hunt them out. It would have been easy to make drives and push them to areas where they couldn't hide. Its also not a huge area of land compared to other places that have hog issues. You take a place like Bankhead, where the amount of land and the mountains would make it nearly impossible to find or get rid of them. I think that Wheeler also is fairly serious about their lands and have more funding than others to do such a project.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/05/14 08:41 AM

Some hogs will move out of an area if pressured to much. They can swim!

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/05/14 06:51 PM

Yes but there aren't many options in this area. Pigs may can swim but crossing the TN river wouldn't be something I would think would be an easy task for a pig. The creek I mentioned is very swim-able at the south end but the area they would cross to at any of these spots would still be Wheeler and no one seems to be seeing them in any of the areas. I'm not saying this is for sure what happened but if it was the layout of the land would have greatly helped in getting rid of them.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Wheeler Hogs? - 12/06/14 11:06 PM

I suspect much if not all of the 'disease' they contracted was lead poisoning.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM