Aldeer.com

Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today

Posted By: robinhedd

Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/15/14 07:50 PM

Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today, man I see why some people are calling it the "Slow Cam" boy was she slow. Smooth draw, but I wouldn't trade my Chill X for it. Just my honest opinion, RH
Posted By: Reyn

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/15/14 09:37 PM

Compared to the fastest I could see it but I wouldn't consider 320-330 slow.
Posted By: GHTiger10

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/15/14 09:47 PM

If it shoots in the 320 range that is plenty fast for sure.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/15/14 09:54 PM

I've been shooting a Drenalin, now ive got a Chill X. This bow wasn't in the ballpark with the Chill X on speed.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/15/14 10:08 PM

The HTR and Chill X are a lot closer in speed than you realize. The X is rated at 336 with the 75% mods. The HTR is rated at 330 with the 65% mods. With 75% mods it will be in the mid 320's. In real world hunting situations, once you get over about 260fps, and extra 20fps isn't going to mean squat, much less 10fps.

I had a pin sight set up on a bow shooting 279fps. I took that sight and put it on a bow shooting 300fps. Once I got the top pin sighted in the same as I did on the other bow, I started stepping back and checking the pin gaps. That extra 21fps didn't make a difference in my pin gaps until I got past 52 yards.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 01:57 AM

A bow that has an ibo speed of 320 to 330 is gonna actually shoot 280 to 290 in a real world hunting situation. And that's at 30" draw with a 70 lb draw weight, go shorter or draw less weight and you will lose even more speed.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 02:01 AM

Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 09:39 AM

I didn't think it was slow. I think because it is very quiet and vibe free some might think it's slow.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 10:33 AM

tfd1224, a bow pulling 60# with a 28" draw shooting a 400gr. arrow 270fps is pretty damn good for a hunting rig. The whole point of my post is everyone worries too much about what speed their bow shoots. When it comes to hunting bows, it not as important as everyone thinks it is, especially 10 to 20fps.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 06:14 PM

Shaw, I know most would not suggest it. But, what bow, sight, broadhead with price would we be looking at to shoot 50-100 yds that would kill a deer?
Posted By: jbsbama

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 06:42 PM

I think the no cam may be a little too long for bow hunting at 32", especially out of a climber. I see it as a bow for target shooting. If they could take the no cam concept and squeeze it into the Creed XS, now we are talking.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: jbsbama
I think the no cam may be a little too long for bow hunting at 32", especially out of a climber. I see it as a bow for target shooting. If they could take the no cam concept and squeeze it into the Creed XS, now we are talking.

No not really. I've killed more deer out of a treestand with a Mathews Q2 than any other bow. It's 34.5" axle to axle. The ChillR I'm using now is 33". STKSHTR and Booger are killing the hell out of them with a longbow from a treestand.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoors1
Shaw, I know most would not suggest it. But, what bow, sight, broadhead with price would we be looking at to shoot 50-100 yds that would kill a deer?

Sorry, but I'm not even going to comment on that and I hope you're not serious. wink

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
Originally Posted By: jbsbama

No not really. I've killed more deer out of a treestand with a Mathews Q2 than any other bow. It's 34.5" axle to axle. The ChillR I'm using now is 33". STKSHTR and Booger are killing the hell out of them with a longbow from a treestand.

No doubt. I use the original Creed at 30" and I just wish it was shorter is all. Also, I think I may sit higher than most people probably do because of my bad knees and that brings the rails of my climber into play.
Posted By: Ike McCaslin

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 08:17 PM

30" is too short for me. I don't know how that super-acute string angle doesn't bother people more. 32" is my minimum length

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 08:19 PM

My Z7 is 31" and that is as short as I will go.
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 09:25 PM

Speed doesn't kill...quiet, smooth and forgiving does. Those short bows usually have a very short and unforgiving brace height. Not my cup of tea for an up in a tree stand shooter. I'll take a longer axle to axle any day.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 09:38 PM

The brace height deal is a myth.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/16/14 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

X2

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/17/14 09:01 AM

Hmmm... How so?
I guess radius of turn is a figment of a newton?

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/17/14 09:03 AM

tfd1224, a bow pulling 60# with a 28" draw shooting a 400gr. arrow 270fps is pretty damn good for a hunting rig. The whole point of my post is everyone worries too much about what speed their bow shoots. When it comes to hunting bows, it not as important as everyone thinks it is, especially 10 to 20fps.

i know shaw, i was just showing that even though the tag on the bow says 330 fps, thats not what its going to actually shoot. heck, mine ibo's at 343 but when shot through a chrono before i cut 2 inches off my arrows and added monkeytails it shot 301

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/17/14 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: QDMAV8R

Hmmm... How so?

Does your accuracy decrease when you shoot a shorter brace height bow? Mine didn't at all. Folks are learning that you don't have to have an 8" brace height to shoot accurately in a hunting setup.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/17/14 12:12 PM

Hmmm... How so?

Does your accuracy decrease when you shoot a shorter brace height bow? Mine didn't at all. Folks are learning that you don't have to have an 8" brace height to shoot accurately in a hunting setup.

Assuming your bow is always verticle and not being torqued, which can be a challenge in real world hunting situations from an elevated stand. If you are using perfect form in every shot, then you are correct it will not matter. However, as long as the laws of physics still apply; the greater the brace height the less severe the penalty for less than perfect form.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/17/14 12:29 PM

Hmmm... How so?

Assuming your bow is always verticle and not being torqued, which can be a challenge in real world hunting situations from an elevated stand. If you are using perfect form in every shot, then you are correct it will not matter. However, as long as the laws of physics still apply; the greater the brace height the less severe the penalty for less than perfect form.

It doesn't matter how you hold your bow, as long as you hold it the same way every time.

Have you ever shot a current, short brace height bow? How much did the short brace height affect your accuracy?
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/19/14 01:11 PM

How good you do or don't shoot a bow doesn't change facts smile
Posted By: DBtide8

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/21/14 01:57 PM

I like a bow with speed that can sling a heavy arrow. In case I don't make a perfect shot I know its going to blow through whatever it hits.
Posted By: BamaBart

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/26/14 02:03 PM

I bought the Chill and had 85% Rock Mods installed last month.
Did I screw up buying a short axel to axel bow?

I only hunt with a bow until rifle season comes in. I'm having buyers remorse now that Mathews has discontinued this bow.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/26/14 02:29 PM

Do what crazy
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/26/14 02:59 PM

Remington - .270 - 130 grain - $400

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/26/14 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BamaBart
I bought the Chill and had 85% Rock Mods installed last month.
Did I screw up buying a short axel to axel bow?

I only hunt with a bow until rifle season comes in. I'm having buyers remorse now that Mathews has discontinued this bow.

If you enjoy shooting it and shoot it well, that's all that matters. The fact that the bow has been discontinued for 2015 means absolutely nothing. If anything ever goes wrong Mathews will have the neccesaary parts on hand to fix it. That goes for every single model they have ever built.

A buddy of mine bought a used PSE for his son. The bow is 4 years old. I tried to get a set of draw mods for it and was told they no longer have them. crazy
Posted By: deerfu39

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/26/14 08:36 PM

I picked up one today to check it out for the first time. I wanted to try it out but someone had dryfired the demo. It's got to be faster than my OLD-SLOW-HEAVY- DEER SLAYIN' SWITCHBACK!
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/26/14 09:08 PM

I shot one the other day. Reminded me of my old indoor bow Mathews ovation. The bow was very top heavy but shot smooth. The way this one was set up it didn't aim real well. The draw length was about 1/2 inch longer than that was on bow.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 11/26/14 09:50 PM

I haven't been able to see one in person yet. From looking at the specs, I believe my only complaint is going to be the physical weight of the bow. I like a light bow that I can add weight to where it's needed.
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/02/14 01:57 PM

I shot the No Cam HTR today. I didn't like it. The draw was terrible. The shot felt fine, but I hated the draw. And y'all know I'm partial to Mathews. I think I'm jumping ship and buying a Hoyt.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/02/14 02:06 PM

Ive really considered a Hoyt Drew. I dont like the way the cables rub on the side of the wheels on the Mathews no cam. They put some kinda guard or protecter on the cables, but i think after a lot of shooting it will eat them up. RH

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/02/14 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: robinhedd
Ive really considered a Hoyt Drew. I dont like the way the cables rub on the side of the wheels on the Mathews no cam. They put some kinda guard or protecter on the cables, but i think after a lot of shooting it will eat them up. RH

I felt like I was pulling 90 lb

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/02/14 07:22 PM

U should give a Chill X or Chill R a try, I'm really digging them. When I buy another bow, guess I will give a Hoyt carbon riser a try.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/02/14 08:07 PM

The Chill R is the best Mathews I've ever owned. Mine has 60# limbs on it. Bottomed out its pulling 62#. It feels like I'm pulling 50#. The Rock mods feel great at full draw.

Hoyt makes a great bow. I did a stint with them from 2004 to 2006. I won some big shoots, a central zone championship, a state championship and a shooter of the title with them. The one thing I've always hated about that Cam & 1/2 system of theirs is the lack of valley at full draw.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/02/14 09:47 PM

The Hoyt Carbon Element is what I went to. I shot a Mathews MQ1 from 1999-2013. I shot a bunch of bows before buying. The Hoyt CE felt better to me. Doesn't mean it's a better bow, just better for me.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/03/14 08:09 AM

The Chill R is the best Mathews I've ever owned. Mine has 60# limbs on it. Bottomed out its pulling 62#. It feels like I'm pulling 50#. The Rock mods feel great at full draw.

Hoyt makes a great bow. I did a stint with them from 2004 to 2006. I won some big shoots, a central zone championship, a state championship and a shooter of the title with them. The one thing I've always hated about that Cam & 1/2 system of theirs is the lack of valley at full draw.

I really like the chill r with the rock mods. I may end up with that. I've been shooting Mathews really since I was old enough. I may end up going with the chill, but I really like the feel of all the new Hoyt's. I was all excited to shoot the no cam but I got let down.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/03/14 09:06 AM

Get what you like best. They won't be as bad on you as they were me. It was about like Dale Jr. rolling up into Talladega in a Ford when I changed my avatar to a Hoyt one. grin
Posted By: bowhunter86

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/03/14 09:45 AM

The one thing I've always hated about that Cam & 1/2 system of theirs is the lack of valley at full draw.

That's always been my complaint with Hoyt as well. Valley is very important to me, you never know when you have to hold your draw for extended amounts of time to make that shot.

I haven't shot the new Mathews but I want to. I like the fact that the axle to axle isn't so short.

Re: Shot the new Mathews HTR (No Cam) today - 12/03/14 11:53 AM

Get what you like best. They won't be as bad on you as they were me. It was about like Dale Jr. rolling up into Talladega in a Ford when I changed my avatar to a Hoyt one. grin

Haha I can imagine!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM