Aldeer.com

Long bow info...

Posted By: Bowhunter84

Long bow info... - 11/12/14 08:46 AM

For the last couple of years I've tossed around the idea of getting a longbow. I know absolutly nothing about them. what's a good longbow that wouldn't break the bank? Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: mmusso

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:01 AM

You thinking strictly longbow or recurve?
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunter84
For the last couple of years I've tossed around the idea of getting a longbow. I know absolutly nothing about them. what's a good longbow that wouldn't break the bank? Any info or advice would be appreciated.

My son has been using one for 3 years and has taken several doe's with it. Google 3 rivers archery, thats who he uses. The guy that owns it is a longbow expert shooter. His name is Rick Welch, and he'll talk to you and is really good at helping. He's helped my son, alot.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:12 AM

I prefer a longbow over a recurve myself. The best thing you can do is wait until they have one of the big trad shoots at Tannehill and check out the vendors there. You'll get a chance to try them out and see what you like. Don't go too high on your draw weight. Mine is 52# and I'm pulling around 48#. I wish it was lower. I've got a Bushman M5 American Native.
Posted By: NickC

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:50 AM

Why the preference of longbow over recurve? I have been debating a recurve but could be convinced to get a longbow.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:51 AM

I shoot them better plus they shoot a lot smoother.

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: mmusso
You thinking strictly longbow or recurve?

longbow

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:54 AM

So would you say the longbow is 'more forgiving' than a recurve? Doesn't it take a longer longbow to get the same power as a shorter recurve?
Posted By: Abram

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:59 AM

Shaw gave you some great advice.

Terry Harris host two shoots a year at Tannehill (search for Pre-spring Arrow Fling and the Howard Hill southeastern classic) and there are vendors there that will help you out by letting you shoot their bows. The one that comes to mind is Big Jim, he sells not only custom bows that he makes but also trades in used bows, both Recurve and Longbow. There is usually a good variety of vendors to help you out. I like both recurves and longbows and I can shoot both pretty well. This year I am shooting a old Crow Creek longbow that I have had for years, shoots pretty good to be so old.

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 10:00 AM

MASH 4 VID

Just watched the video above from 3Rivers Archery and learned a LOT
Posted By: Sgiles

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 01:52 PM

Check out the samick verna. Lancaster archery sells them. Foreign made but has a pretty good reputation as a decent bow. I'm saving my pennies for a longbow myself, got three recurves but you know how it is.

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 02:03 PM

Trust me guys, you'll learn more from Rick Welch, than anybody. I'd have a long conversation with him before i bought anything.

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 02:14 PM

Rick welch is a shooting coach and doesn't work at 3 rivers. But either they still will be happy to help you give them a call.

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 02:32 PM

Sorry. I misunderstood my son. He calls Rick Welch and talks to him, and he buys his equipment from 3 rivers archery, and i thought he worked there.

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 03:04 PM

Your son sounds very committed. That's great.
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
I shoot them better plus they shoot a lot smoother.

And they're way quieter

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 04:47 PM

I have a G&L and I love it, but they're no longer in business. Several of my buddies shoot Northern Mist and they're a great shooting bow. You can find longbows pretty cheap used.
Posted By: hulapopper

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 08:16 PM

Love the longbow but remember your in a tree. Had some trouble with length. Some blinds would be out of the question.
I'll let you shoot mine for a while and see what YOU think.
Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:33 PM

I wanted a longbow a while back. I just don't have enough time to put into it
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Long bow info... - 11/12/14 09:44 PM

Most longbows and recurves will be 1" shorter in draw lengh than your compound draw length.

I have used several and prefer the longbow, as mentioned they are smother and much quieter, as the string doesn't "slap" on the limbs like a recurve. But both are much quieter than a compound.

50lbs-55lbs would be fine for your build and youthfulness. LOL

Get a little older and the draw weight might drop.

I get on some of the classifieds on the archery websites and see what you can find.

Going to the trad shoot would be good. Better to have hands on first before buying anything.

Oh, always use a bow stringer.

God Bless,
David B.

Posted By: stkshtr

Re: Long bow info... - 11/13/14 09:59 AM

I'm in Hoover and would gladly let you shoot a couple of the longbows I have to see the difference in styles. You need to shoot and see how the different ones feel before purchasing. Once you start shooting them you will be hooked. I get more passthru shots than any of my compound shooting buddies and I have shot out to 38 yards. Killed one the other day at 27 yards with a passthru shot. You also get opportunities for killing two at a time because deer don't hear you shoot and won't spook.

Re: Long bow info... - 11/13/14 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: stkshtr
I'm in Hoover and would gladly let you shoot a couple of the longbows I have to see the difference in styles. You need to shoot and see how the different ones feel before purchasing. Once you start shooting them you will be hooked. I get more passthru shots than any of my compound shooting buddies and I have shot out to 38 yards. Killed one the other day at 27 yards with a passthru shot. You also get opportunities for killing two at a time because deer don't hear you shoot and won't spook.

You can shoot the piss out of a longbow then! I only feel good to 15 lol

Re: Long bow info... - 11/13/14 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: stkshtr

I will take you up on that offer smile
Posted By: Booger

Re: Long bow info... - 11/13/14 11:04 AM

A lot if good info above. I have shot both recurve and long bow for close to twenty years. There are way more trad bow makers than there are compound makers. That being said, there are dozens of limb designs. There are even hybrid "long curves". Anyway, as BOFF said most of your recurve a have a bit of limb slap. The longbow has just a muffled thump sound. You and get longbows as short as 60" or maybe even shorter which makes them more maneuverable in blinds and in the tree. I shoot a 62" longbow that is 47# at 28". I love it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM