Aldeer.com

Anyone else shoot sitting down?

Posted By: bowhunter86

Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/01/13 09:36 PM

I've been bow only hunting for years. I killed a doe the very first time I brought a bow in the woods and I haven't gun hunted since. My FIL watched me shoot a doe Friday and was amazed that I was sitting down when I shot. It got me to thinking that I've always shot that way, unless they are on my right side. It may not be the proper way to do it but I've got a long draw and shoot long arrows so my flight is very forgiving. I've also hunted out of an API bow hunters stand for years, so it doesn't have a front bar.

Anyone else shoot this way?
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/01/13 09:43 PM

Every chance I get. But I'd rather be standing ahead of time when they decide to change direction and get on my right side (RH'd). I also like open face tree stands. Killed a couple sitting down and between my legs.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/01/13 10:34 PM

I normally stand if I get a chance, but won't hesitate to shoot one sitting down if I have to. I killed my biggest buck with a 15 yard sitting shot. It was one of those "Oh chit, there he is" moments. I had my backpack hanging on my left side and had just gotten a swig of my Mountain Dew. When I turned to put my drink back in my pack, he was slipping in from behind me and was 30 yards away.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/01/13 10:37 PM

I can, but I normally don't have the need to.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/01/13 11:24 PM

I will shoot sitting down and not think twice about it...I hunt out of lock on stands 90% of the time during bow season..I am right handed and the only time I stand to shoot a deer is when a deer is on my right or over my right shoulder....
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 09:54 AM

I have killed my fair share sitting , but would prefer standing. The ones I killed sitting come from behind or I was sitting on a tripod or 5 foot off the ground in a pine with green field to my left.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 10:10 AM

I'm a righty so one walks in quick on the left and I don't have time to stand, fine with me. My son and I both practice sittting.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 10:29 AM

I prefer to shoot sitting down. When I hang my stands I set them up for sitting shots...
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 10:56 AM

I can't remember the last time I shot one sitting down
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunter84
I prefer to shoot sitting down. When I hang my stands I set them up for sitting shots...

^^^ this, just like with turkeys, try to set or up where the shot is on the left or in front,so you can stay seated = less movement.
Posted By: huntbig

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 05:43 PM

I got my first bow kill this year sitting down. It just felt comfortable.
Posted By: SCR00BK

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 09:41 PM

more times then not I'm sitting when a deer comes sneaking in
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bustinbeards

^^^ this, just like with turkeys, try to set or up where the shot is on the left or in front,so you can stay seated = less movement.

thumbup
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 10:54 PM

I do the same thing.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 11:13 PM

I prefer to stand up before the deer gets in range if I am in a tree but I have shot my fair share from a tree while sitting down. All my shots while bow hunting from the ground have been sitting shots.
Posted By: MattIce

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/02/13 11:44 PM

Exactly the same
Posted By: striker6126

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/03/13 12:00 AM

this is what I try to do also
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/03/13 03:59 PM

x2
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/03/13 04:03 PM

X3
Posted By: Stu

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/06/13 02:19 PM

X4
Posted By: Jwbfx4

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/07/13 10:20 AM

I've never took a shot from the tree sitting, but I do practice sitting and shooting at home just in case.
Posted By: globe

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/08/13 08:37 AM

Yes, I practice shooting sitting and standing.
Lots of bad things can happen when you move.
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: Anyone else shoot sitting down? - 12/08/13 10:23 AM

In the ole man stand I shoot sitting down. In the viper I'm more comfortable standing.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM