Aldeer.com

good drop away arrow rest for hunting

Posted By: Blackhawk

good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/25/13 11:08 PM

i think i want a drop away rest so what should i get for my diamon infinite edge?i have not used any of them so i don't know what to look for what about the quad i want a capture type so i don't knock the arrow off the rest you pro's tell me what to get please?war eagle
Posted By: Shaw

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/25/13 11:30 PM

Best you can get, QAD Ultra-Rest HDX:

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/26/13 12:05 AM

thanks shaw i knew you would steer me in the right direction, thanks a bunch:)WAR EAGLE
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/26/13 09:54 PM

I shoot this rest and absolutely love it. My only negative is the felt tape. I replaced it with some ultra thin neoprene stretch tape.
Posted By: quailman

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/27/13 07:42 PM

Ripcord has worked great for me.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/27/13 08:12 PM

I was thinking about putting a drop away rest on my new bow that I'm about to buy. Then I realized that I never had any issues with my TM hunter style rest. The more movement, the more chances of something going wrong.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/27/13 08:58 PM

I shoot a code red on my z7 and love it.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/27/13 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
I was thinking about putting a drop away rest on my new bow that I'm about to buy. Then I realized that I never had any issues with my TM hunter style rest. The more movement, the more chances of something going wrong.

If you're going to upgrade to a new bow I would seriously reconsider that.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/27/13 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw

If you're going to upgrade to a new bow I would seriously reconsider that.

I did consider the QAD and was almost gonna get one. The only advantage that I saw was the locking in the upright position. That would have been handy that one time I went elk hunting. But 99.9999% of the time, the TM hunter style works well. Never had a failure with it in the 14 years I've used it. I'd go with the QAD, if I had to do drop away.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/27/13 11:07 PM

i have the tm hunter on my high country bow, but when i am nervious the arrow jumps off so i wanted the full capture rest like the quad thanks shaw i found them at gander mtn for $59.99
mike
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/28/13 08:38 AM

I have shot the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone for years. Still love it.
Posted By: Moose24

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/28/13 10:11 AM

Ripcord Code Red
Posted By: striker6126

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/28/13 08:26 PM

What is the advantage of a drop away as opposed to a hostage pro or something similar for a hunting setup?

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/28/13 09:48 PM

the therory is you group better and have a little faster arrow.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/28/13 10:27 PM

Less tuning issues, which are normally caused by fletching contact. You might pick up 2fps or so vs. a Whisker Biscuit type rest since the arrow is not in contact as long.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/28/13 10:59 PM

Anything wrong with the Muzzy Zero Effect? I have used it for years with no problems.... On a PSE.... Works great for me.... Did take a while to get it tuned though... Once tuned.... no problems over the past 6 years...

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/29/13 02:33 AM

Nothing wrong with the Muzzy at all. Takes a little longer to set up, but they are very reliable.
Posted By: labowhunter

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/29/13 09:01 AM

I shot a whisker bisquit for years and then went to ripcord code red. Gained 5 fps in speed and my groups went from 12-14 inches at 40yds to 8 inches or less.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 05/29/13 09:28 PM

I still use a Tiger Tuff rest that is a TM Hunter style, but 3 times as thick as the original TM. I bought it in the mid-90's. Don't know what to say, but it works. I've thought about a drop away. But when you damage vanes/arrows at 30 yards, what's the point of changing? grin

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/01/13 02:32 AM

nice grouping thumbup
Posted By: wew3006

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/01/13 06:54 AM

Another vote for QAD HDX
Posted By: Bucktrot

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/01/13 02:00 PM

What Shaw said! I have one.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/01/13 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: wew3006
Another vote for QAD HDX
i don't have one yet but i plan to get one:)
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/01/13 09:19 PM

I've used QAD and ripcord. Both are great rest.
Posted By: rem-one

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/03/13 07:30 AM

Quad rest Is what I will shoot until I fine a better one..Ripcord is a little loud for me its a good rest but just to loud
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/03/13 08:51 AM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
I have shot the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone for years. Still love it.

X2
Posted By: Deerslyer86

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/03/13 11:59 AM

Trophy Ridge Evolution drop away
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/03/13 03:09 PM

That's interesting. I thought the QAD was a little louder but that may have just been mine.
Posted By: Sharpshooter69

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/13/13 08:19 PM

I put a NAP drop away on my Genetix, I've shot the QAD and Zero Effect. I say go with QAD !!!
Posted By: Reaper

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/13/13 08:47 PM

I like my QAD but, I haven't used anything else to compare it to.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/14/13 11:51 AM

My nap apache fall away has been extremely reliable the last 2 seasons and was a little cheaper than the qad. I've been very well pleased with it thus far
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/14/13 05:33 PM

i have shot the trophy taker and liked it alot, I am shooting a QAD HD pro now and have been pleased.their customer service is top notch, had a monster xlr8 blow up and a part break on the rest and they sent me new parts and felt for the rest no questions asked...

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/14/13 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
Best you can get, QAD Ultra-Rest HDX:

dang those things are expensive! ! ! ! just to kill a deer.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/14/13 10:30 PM

OK after a lot of looking around my question is what is the difference between the hunterVS HDX other than price?

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/14/13 10:59 PM

The Hunter version isn't micro tunable, meaning it only has one screw that controls both windage

Hunter:

HDX:

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/14/13 11:05 PM

They also make a LD version which is micro tunable. If you look around, you can find them for under $100.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/14/13 11:16 PM

ok thanks a lot for the info guys OAD said for my bow the best bet is the HDX not that i didn't believe you i was checking to be sure foe the diamond infinite edge.so i guess i will bite the bullet and damage my fixed income and get the HDX.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/15/13 08:13 PM

on cabelas website the have the black hdx for rh priced at $129.99the ld was i think 116.00
Posted By: Reaper

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/15/13 10:32 PM

Check the archery talk classifieds Blackhawk, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one for less than $100.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/15/13 11:11 PM

i found what shaw had been speaking of on e-bay, i am waiting on my retirement check to get a new in the box with the sog knife they are a lot cheaper than cableas or gander mountain.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 06/17/13 12:04 AM

I got my qad hdx on the archery talk classifieds for 80.00 to my door and if you buy a used one like I did and you need felt or a new launcher or a spacer qad will send it to you for free. Awesome customer service.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 07/14/13 06:04 PM

after talking with Chris coultas and bow tech i settled on the trophy taker extreme sl which i bought to day at gander mountain for $44.99 including my military 10% discount plus i bough 6 carbon express the crush 350's i have 6 nocturnals i bought at the expo for 50.00 these crush arrows weigh 9.5gpi which i am happy with the weight forward design bull dog collars my nt205 fit the arrows just fine i got the green nocturnals since i already had the red ones on my xt hunters and my cx terminators4560's. next Friday i am taking my bow and rest to backwater for them to put the tt rest ob my bow and time it. which is easy according to the installation instructions. and sight in my new 4 pin tru glow sight Chris at backwater uses the tth extreme i didn't see the smack down there but they are the same rest i have read the review about it on archery talk. an i hope backwater will put heat shrink on the cable to make it last longer trophy taker has a great warranty lifetime no questions asked.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 07/14/13 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: labowhunter
I shot a whisker biscuit for years and then went to ripcord code red. Gained 5 fps in speed and my groups went from 12-14 inches at 40yds to 8 inches or i have only shot 20 yards so far with my diamond using the hostage rest my groups were the size of a nickel.

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 07/14/13 07:07 PM

Well I ordered a QAD HDX, so I hope it's a good one. I'm not normally a fan of drop aways. Only time will tell.
Posted By: REEFD

Re: good drop away arrow rest for hunting - 07/14/13 08:10 PM

Well I ordered a QAD HDX, so I hope it's a good one. I'm not normally a fan of drop aways. Only time will tell.

You'll grow to love it!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM