Aldeer.com

How many arrows do you shoot per session

Posted By: hallb

How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/04/12 08:04 PM

OK, so I don't shoot everyday like I'm sure a lot of you do. And I understand that at different skill levels the answers will vary. With that in mind, how many shots do you take per session?

Generally speaking for me, I try and shoot at least a few times per week. I don't have the best location for shooting so I do what I can. I'll shoot maybe 20-30 shots in a 15-20 min period I'd estimate...never actually counted or timed. Some days I may shoot a couple of sessions like that with a break in between. I usually judge when to quit or take a break b/c I'll become a lot more erratic due to tiring.

How many do you shoot and what is the magic number where b/c of tiring, you are probably doing more harm than good?
Posted By: Shaw

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/04/12 08:24 PM

Once I have my hunting set up tuned and dialed in, my "practice session" consists of 1 shot with the same gloves I will wear while hunting. Depending on my work schedule and what I have going on around the house determines how many practice shots I take per day. There is always at least an hour between shots. My theory, you're not going to get any warm up shots from the treestand. That first shot has to count. That 1 shot may be from anywhere between 20 to 50 yards.

I shoot a lot of competitions, so I'm never rusty when it comes to shooting. During 3D season a practice session will normally 20 to 30 arrows from 25 to 60 yards. Practice sessions for the Buckmasters Top Bow shoot are normally 100 shots 2 to 3 times a day from 15 yards to 60 yards at stationary and moving targets.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/04/12 09:08 PM

Mine varies, maybe 10 shots one day, 100 the next, go 3 or 4 days without shooting and shoot 30 or 40, etc... Sometimes I shoot till I get tired (around 50) and I stop, sometimes I push on through it and try to focus on shooting when I'm tired. Sometimes I suck right off the bat and I go ahead and quit after 3 or 4 shots. Lots of variables like time, family commitments, work, needing to go to club, etc... that makes shooting consistently each day impossible for me.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/04/12 10:03 PM

Once I get set up,sighted in and strength built up, 12-15 every 2-3 days.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/04/12 10:11 PM

Once I feel I have my bow sighted in and in good shape as to not be sore after shooting , I shoot 3 arrows 2-3 times a week. Unless you are shooting tournaments, there's no need to be able to shoot for hours on in. Hunting will consist of one shot. Your first shot needs to be perfect, not the 2nd or 3rd. Focus on making that first "cold" shot count, when you are confident you can make that shot when needed, shoot only enough to keep those muscles in shape. My .02$
Posted By: quailman

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/04/12 10:32 PM

Bout 6. Read an article years ago that Bill W. (Rhymes with Pinkie) would shoot a single arrow. Said its always the first one that counts.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/04/12 11:45 PM

Usually a couple per session. Any more than that for hunting is too much.
Posted By: Deepwater

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/05/12 12:03 AM

Good Thread...
Posted By: SMB44

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/05/12 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
Mine varies, maybe 10 shots one day, 100 the next, go 3 or 4 days without shooting and shoot 30 or 40, etc... Sometimes I shoot till I get tired (around 50) and I stop, sometimes I push on through it and try to focus on shooting when I'm tired. Sometimes I suck right off the bat and I go ahead and quit after 3 or 4 shots. Lots of variables like time, family commitments, work, needing to go to club, etc... that makes shooting consistently each day impossible for me.

That is about to the T of what I do except i can only shoot maybe 30 yards at my house.
Posted By: camoredneck24

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/05/12 02:13 AM

I usually don't start shootin till bout 1 month before season. I try to shoot 15-20 times at least 1-2 times a week. If I start gettin tried causing my aim to differ I will stop.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/05/12 12:49 PM

12 shots plus or minus a couple. Oh boy told me one time never get tired when you are shooting because you will start making mistakes and pick up bad habits messing up your form. That made sense to me and i have always stuck with that.
Posted By: Little Foot

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/05/12 01:25 PM

5 times a year, 2 bucks and 3 does!
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/05/12 02:21 PM

I shoot one every morning as I leave for work to take care of the "first shot counts" thing. A couple times a week I'll shoot 20-40 in the afternoon.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/05/12 04:55 PM

I will shoot less in numbers as we get closer. I will end up shooting about twice every half hour or so on the weekends, before Erin Rodgers and Gameday comes on:). I won't take too much time to take the shot either. I am also, going to start shooting from the knees and sitting too (ground blind).
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: How many arrows do you shoot per session - 09/06/12 12:02 AM

If u plan on hunting from a ground blind, I would suggest practice at least once from inside of it. Opening morning 3 years ago was a calamity of errors. 1) even though its light outside the blind to shoot, its still really dark inside and when u have a fiber optic sight and there's no light......nothing to aim with.2) a sack chair as I call them sits about 2" lower than a normal folding chair. 3) make sure u can shoot above the bottom of the window from whatever you you are sitting on. I've never felt more like an Idot in my life than that morning.... Carry on
© 2024 ALDEER.COM