Aldeer.com

Guntersville State Park

Posted By: farmboy

Guntersville State Park - 10/30/09 12:12 PM

Has anyone heard any info on possibly having a deer hunt to help control deer population at GSP? They are overrun with deer and now they are cutting half the timber out. While cutting the timber and destroying underbrush in the process I am certain this will have a negative impact on the available forage for the bulging deer herd. Not to mention the trickle down effect it will have on nesting birds and other small nongame species. I realize that thinning timber can open up the canopy and allow sunlight in to promote new growth... but I think the herd should be thinned first. twocents
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Guntersville State Park - 10/30/09 01:54 PM

1. Clear-cutting provides more browse than thinning.
2. Most song birds require various stages of timber and vegetation growth to survive and reproduce successfully.
3. From a biological standpoint what is taking place on GSP is the best thing for the animals, timber and the land for the long term.

Now, I agree with you the place is freakin way past over populated. They have discussed more than once having an archery hunt from what I've heard from state Biologist's. IMO they should open GSP up every year to hunting for 2-3 weeks in order to drop the population. BUT, you know how most of the moron campers are up there about "THEIR" deer...

On the timber side, they should have been cutting that timber for years. Sorry to say trees don't live forever. The state might as well get paid for them, they are dying any way!

I with ya though, they should open it up to hunting twocents
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Guntersville State Park - 10/30/09 06:34 PM

It will never happen, period.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Guntersville State Park - 10/30/09 08:56 PM

I believe antlerhunter is right on. I just wish they would open it up to trapping like they did a few years ago.
Posted By: .308

Re: Guntersville State Park - 10/30/09 09:24 PM

That's a hell of a thought. The Aldeer/TFT fishing tourney has gone over so well could you imagine an Aldeer bowhunt? I'de be there for sure. thumbsup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM