Aldeer.com

Wheeler NWR

Posted By: dsquared

Wheeler NWR - 10/25/09 03:54 PM

So here I am again asking for advice. anyone with techniques for Wheeler. I have recently went to Skyline, but Wheeler is much closer and I want to have a backup in case I cant travel far. So if you know of a good spot(wink,wink) or just general knowlegde or experience of how to hunt this area successfully, pls clue me in.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Wheeler NWR - 10/25/09 05:39 PM

I've heard that north of the river is better. At least, that's what I've read from others on different forums over the past couple of years... :rolleyes:
Posted By: wmd

Re: Wheeler NWR - 10/25/09 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Claims Rep.:
I've heard that north of the river is better. At least, that's what I've read from others on different forums over the past couple of years... :rolleyes:
Really? I have always heard that south of the river is the best - the farther south you go the less hunters and bigger deer you are more likely to encounter. Too many skeeters and have to walk too far for my liking.

Re: Wheeler NWR - 10/25/09 11:07 PM

I tried to look at google earth to check the area. North or south look about the same depending on hunter pressure I guess. I assume the same as other areas and look for the oaks for now. any thoughts?
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Wheeler NWR - 10/26/09 12:42 AM

I haven't hunted there in several yrs, so my input is certainly not specific, but when I did hunt there, I found good places on North and South sides, there are deer all over it, but lots of hunters. My advice is get as far away from the roads as you can, which generally means as far away from other hunters. I used to ride my bike in to get back further. Good luck.
Posted By: CAM

Re: Wheeler NWR - 10/26/09 11:47 AM

One good thing about Wheeler for someone trying to learn the place is that it is closed for hunting on Sundays. Use that time to scout, you can usually tell if a place has been hunted hard by litter, trimmed branches and climb marks on trees. The last time I hunted there were even trees marked with orange spray paint (buncha idiots out there as well).

Go scout thumbsup

Re: Wheeler NWR - 11/01/09 09:10 PM

didnt really get to scout around like i wanted to today. hopefully i can get out and find a spot and hunt it in the same day. Got a busy nov. so hope i choose wisely.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Wheeler NWR - 11/02/09 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wmd:
Quote:
Originally posted by Claims Rep.:
[b] I've heard that north of the river is better. At least, that's what I've read from others on different forums over the past couple of years... :rolleyes:
Really? I have always heard that south of the river is the best - the farther south you go the less hunters and bigger deer you are more likely to encounter. Too many skeeters and have to walk too far for my liking. [/b]
I guess it just goes to show that - different strokes, different folks. Just passing on what I heard... my twocents
Posted By: jvc

Re: Wheeler NWR - 11/02/09 05:14 AM

just don't park over there off of 565 somebody might think your a little fruity laugh

Re: Wheeler NWR - 11/02/09 10:25 PM

how is the access off of Eagles nest island road? Can you walk a fair distance off of it? any other ideas?

Re: Wheeler NWR - 11/08/09 03:34 PM

Any ideas on the handicapped area? I see it is usable by other hunters so just wondered about deer there.

Re: Wheeler NWR - 11/30/09 06:06 PM

anybody have some recent luck @ wheeler?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM