Aldeer.com

Killing a buck to to protect another

Posted By: sbo1971

Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 02:13 PM

This may sound crazy but has anyone ever killed a junk antlered buck in order to keep it from killing your hit list bucks?

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 02:34 PM

I have a 3 yr old that has a very narrow rack with long main beams, they slightly curve with a couple of 2” points on the underside of the main beams. I’ve got trail cam photos of him lowering his head and putting his points between the antlers of the bigger bucks and backing them off. The way my luck is he’ll kill them both when the rut starts kicking in.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 04:05 PM

If you wanna kill him, kill him. I personally wouldn’t worry about it plus you run the risk of running your hit list bucks off once the killing starts. If I’m locked in on a particular buck or bucks my focus is not doing anything to spook them while I’m trying to kill ‘em.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 04:31 PM

Not necessarily to “protect” one but I was hunting a big mature 6 point a couple years ago and had a a slightly younger buck that would keep him ran off. The younger buck had a strong 4 point right side and the left side was about a 12-14” dagger of a spike and I think the other bucks just couldn’t compete with him because he was tearing the tops of their heads up with that spike when they got into it.

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
If you wanna kill him, kill him. I personally wouldn’t worry about it plus you run the risk of running your hit list bucks off once the killing starts. If I’m locked in on a particular buck or bucks my focus is not doing anything to spook them while I’m trying to kill ‘em.

Don’t really want to kill him but I don’t want him becoming top dog and either killing the other bucks or running them off.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 06:29 PM

Not to protect anything else, I killed him cause he was a 6 yo and 226# bully! Lol [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 08:09 PM

He is not gonna kill the other bucks.

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 09:34 PM

That’s a cool looking buck.
Posted By: MarkCollin

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 11:41 PM

What would deers do without us to protect them
Posted By: jono23

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/04/23 11:47 PM

I wonder how many buck on buck fatalities happen every year.

Buck lives matter!
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Killing a buck to to protect another - 11/05/23 12:48 AM

[Linked Image]

I killed this one two years ag because he was a mean deer. He had ran off all the other bucks and scared the does to death. Took me a while to realize what was up. After i killed him everything kinda went back to normal and my bucks came back all broke up. But season was over then. I wish i had figured it out a little quicker.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM