Aldeer.com

Opening Weekend Setups

Posted By: smokinya

Opening Weekend Setups - 10/12/11 04:23 PM

Whats your opening setups for the weekend? Mine will depend on whether my 10 yr old son goes with me or not (he wants to go & use his cross bow) or if I go solo the first weekend. Solo setups this weekend are hardwood draw with a big white oaks dropping within bow range of my loc-on and just down the draw fresh rubs and scrapes near the thicker stuff or possibly a bedding area setup in the pines that I have been getting pics consistantly 20 yards from my loc-on. Now if my son goes I will have to setup a ground blind down wind of the acorns and hope for the best.
Posted By: pnut

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/12/11 04:31 PM

If wind is like they say (s/sw) then I'll be in a climber on side of a hard wood hill that is surrounded by a cut over, looking at a deer trail with acorn every where. But I want the wind to be an east or north wind so I can set up in a ground blind already in place, on the back of a food plot where deer funnel through. The ground blind is where I have all my day pics.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/12/11 04:45 PM

I have three possible setups for this weekend. Two of them are hardwood bottoms in the middle of acres of 10 yr old pines. The other is along a creek in hardwoods that border pines. We have acorns everywhere. I have pictures of deer in all three areas and I am hoping for deer to move out of the pines to browse the acorns.
Posted By: AUduckiller

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/12/11 04:46 PM

I will be sitting on a hardwood bottom as well my friends right next our 18acre lake. Where there are about 4 whiteoaks dropping acorns like its there job. And I get about 400 pictures a week. Time to thin the doe heard boys! I got some brand new muzzy phantoms just for em
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/12/11 08:47 PM

I'll be sitting close to white oaks that might be dropping and red oaks that I know are dropping. I won't be more than 40 yards from some thick nasty stuff either.
Posted By: skintback

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/12/11 09:54 PM

morning set, edge of 3 year old clear cut, with oaks and water, afternoon, edge of green patch with several white oaks, or water oaks adjacent to thick planted pines all of which have alot of activity
Posted By: vonella160

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/12/11 11:28 PM

depends on the wind for me, if it stays like they are reporting(NNE) for coffee county i will be in a climber on top of this little finger that is covered with red oak that are dropping like crazy that is surrounded on 3 sides by really thick nasty stuff, along a trail that is littered with deer scat, and a few rubs, if the winds go east i will be in a lock on on a ridge line trail that over looks a nice hardwood bottom... if the go north north west i will be in a ground blind snuggled up to a bedding area set up on what appears to be the main trail leading out...
Posted By: BDhunts

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 12:18 AM

Can't say where, "itsbetterinthewoods", "G/H" and a couple others may be lurking to see where I go...laugh
Posted By: BDhunts

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 12:21 AM

In the AM: I'll be next to a White Oak in a branch where it is the only one for a while..

In the PM: Depends on whats on the camera that is in that spot.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 12:37 AM

Along the edge of a 4yr cutover where there is a gap in a shear rock wall(gap=75yds,rock wall= 1/4 mile in one direction and ? distance the other way) along the edge of the cutover, with white oaks and mountain oaks dropping acorns all around. Fresh rubs all along edge of cutover and along 2 trails coming up from creek and intersect 20 yds to my west. Good buck on cam last week 100yds from there. Im near enough to the top of the gap to shoot deer skirting edge of cutover or bluff and to catch them in the gap. My son will be over trail cam. I know that I won't sleep a wink Fri. night.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 12:42 AM

White oaks....nuff said.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 12:58 AM

If there is not a NorthWest wind, I stay home. I set my stands to hunt the Northwest winds of winter. I have the most success with this type of wind. Wind from the South usually means rain here for me, so I stay home with Southern winds. I have a large tract of hardwoods that have never been cut and I have several stands in these hardwoods. I went 9 years in a row killing a deer on opening day of bowseason. Most were does, but a few were bucks. Shooting doe deer doesn't interest me anymore, so I let the does pass. If the wind is from the Northwest Saturday morning, I will have a couple of chances at deer. If they aren't mature bucks, they get a free pass.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 01:00 AM

I don't have any white oaks but i've got plenty of red oaks that I'll be hunting. They better move before the AU/Florida game or I'll have to kill them another time.
Posted By: mrfuzz

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 01:05 AM

I will be camped out with my Boy Scout troop this weekend.... Good luck to you all on opening day.
I'll be out to get them next weekend!!!
Posted By: frezznh2o

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 01:34 AM

about 30 yards from the thick stuff, half way between mature hardwood bottom and cluster of loaded persimmon trees on ridge.
Posted By: camoredneck24

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 01:53 AM

In one of my new lock-ons with acorns all around sitting between a pine thicket and a creek with a well used bush hogged trail.
Posted By: AdventureDeer

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 08:45 AM

I will be tucked in a ground blind with my wife for her first Crossbow hunt. we will be nestled in between to red oaks. Have some good pictures from this area. The evening hunt not sure yet depends if wife decided to hunt the evening.
Posted By: BUCKMAN26

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 10:51 AM

I'll be doing late planting on our club with my 4year old, then the next afternoon we are going to squirrel hunt some. My first chance will be wed. afternoon and all day thursday. i have an island of white and water oaks in the middle of a huge clear cut. i'll be there the entire time.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 12:08 PM

You know that big oak tree by the big swamp creek? Yeah that's where I'll be.
Posted By: SEMINOLES

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 02:40 PM

I'll be in hardwood/pine mix watching the acorns drop and the deer tear em' up. I just hope an opportunity presents itself. Good luck to everyone!
Posted By: onestep

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 02:50 PM

AM, inside corner of some old pines and nasty underbrush loaded with trails next to a thick bedding area and a santuary to the left.
PM, depending on what the morning brings, maybe overlooking a creek bottom with a small food plot to my right (in a bulldozed fire lane) and last year's select cut pines behind me.
Posted By: tc308

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 03:18 PM

if the wind plays right...... i will be at a birthday party at 10:00 and one at 3:00, just my luck
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 04:28 PM

Hardwood flat for me. It's a nice travel corridor.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 05:30 PM

X2 white oaks in the AM, food plot in the PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
White oaks....nuff said.
Posted By: click-boom

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/13/11 11:51 PM

In a strip of big timber that is about 75 yards wide and 150 yards long overlooking 3 persimmon trees that as of this past Sunday had not startted dropping. I hope they are hitting the ground by now.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/14/11 12:24 AM

I bet the persimmons have been dropping, yotes and deer just eat em up.

I'll prolly wind up on the Cahaba WMA, I need to kill something.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/14/11 12:39 AM

Sawtooth's or white oaks.half to flip a coin tomorrow afternoon to see.Good luck to everyone and besafe!
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/14/11 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: bloodtrail
I bet the persimmons have been dropping, yotes and deer just eat em up.

I'll prolly wind up on the Cahaba WMA, I need to kill something.

I will be hunting the Cahaba Sat and Sun,hope it's not covered up with people.
Posted By: cj7deerslayer

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/14/11 03:13 AM

Swamp for me. On public land you just gotta be the farthest from the parking lot and let the lazy folks push deer. Works every time.
Posted By: big_buck_down79

Re: Opening Weekend Setups - 10/14/11 10:04 AM

In South Carolina working...first opening weekend missed ever...but I have 2 days off next week plus the weekend, so I'll be getting to them soon enough
© 2024 ALDEER.COM