Aldeer.com

Treestand height

Posted By: toyota05

Treestand height - 02/23/18 03:12 AM

How high do you guys typically climb in treestand to bow hunt
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 03:59 AM

I haven't hunted out of treestands a whole lot but I think cover is more important than height..10 to 15 ft
Posted By: jono23

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 04:05 AM

I tend to go anywhere from 20-30. Just depends on shooting lanes, the surrounding terrain, and any other number of factors. I used to only climb 15 ft and would get busted, started climbing higher and have had an easier time.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 06:12 AM

It all depends on the background cover.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 10:55 AM

20-30ft and background cover.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 03:35 PM

12-15 feet where I hunt. I have an abundance of good cedars to put a stand in though.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 08:46 PM

Climbin stand 20+ loc on 18-20 most of the time. I usually hang loc ons in good brushed up places an trim around a bit. Little harder to do with a climbin stand as you cant always find the ideal tree. Thats why i switched to loc ons mostly, ive kilt deer 12ft off the ground in 10in trees. so long as ive got cover i aint gottah be very high....its all about the cover.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 09:26 PM

20ft or so. As mentioned, cover is key
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Treestand height - 02/23/18 09:54 PM

I don't like getting high. If I can find cover 15-18ft off the ground, that's my sweet spot.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Treestand height - 02/24/18 05:24 AM

18-25 ft depending on tree and cover
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Treestand height - 02/24/18 10:20 AM

18-25 max. With a bow, height is crucial. The sight window decreases in size the higher you go. At 26-30 its terribly small and makes the chance of a bad shot more likely.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Treestand height - 02/26/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shaw
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Treestand height - 02/26/18 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by MS_Hunter
Originally Posted by Shaw

And the terrain. You can be 30 ft up but still eye-level with a deer on a hill.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Treestand height - 02/26/18 03:01 AM

Cover is key ,,I find I get busted less and get away with a little movement at higher heights
The shot window is smaller but worth the trade off for me.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Treestand height - 03/04/18 02:37 AM

I find cover and keep it 15-20ft.
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Treestand height - 03/04/18 03:12 AM

I don't have any trouble gettin hid in natural ground blinds.
Whether you are 8 ft or 30 cover is the key.

I knew a fella that never got over 12 ft and he killed deer every year.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Treestand height - 03/07/18 04:14 AM

What all them said. Ive killed deer with my bow 8 feet off the ground in good cover. I dont ever climb higher than 25 with my bow either due to shot angle.

With a rifle I dont worry about cover, just climb high enough that I can see everything I want to see and have open shooting lanes.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Treestand height - 03/07/18 02:42 PM

Would someone post a picture from the ground looking up at a spot that displays good cover. I think this might be one of my largest faults... Never really thought about backdrop, really just thought that getting up in a tree in a prime spot would be enough... obviously I was wrong.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Treestand height - 03/16/18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003
Would someone post a picture from the ground looking up at a spot that displays good cover. I think this might be one of my largest faults... Never really thought about backdrop, really just thought that getting up in a tree in a prime spot would be enough... obviously I was wrong.

Honestly, it's just a matter of looking up and seeing if behind you there will be limbs and leaves. It looks like you're in N AL so you shouldn't have a problem. If you can find good backdrop cover, look for oak trees wider than you.

Re: Treestand height - 03/17/18 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Recurve

Honestly, it's just a matter of looking up and seeing if behind you there will be limbs and leaves. It looks like you're in N AL so you shouldn't have a problem. If you can find good backdrop cover, look for oak trees wider than you.

Ahh simple enough. Any tactics for setting up on/in swamps/wetland where there is primarily only cypresses?
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Treestand height - 03/17/18 08:21 PM

Ahh simple enough. Any tactics for setting up on/in swamps/wetland where there is primarily only cypresses?

If you have cypress trees near known well traveled trails, entries to fields, etc. you are set. Those trees make some of the best cover there is. You may have to do some limb pruning and use those ‘sectioned style’ climbing steps/ladders. Strap the sections or stick ladder up to your desired height then cut one or two limbs near the trunk to make a hole in the canopy to put your lock on. Then just sit up there and trim till you can see your shot lanes and can draw. If you do it right you look like you are imbedded inside the cypress canopy.

Edit: never mind. I was reading cedar in my head . Lol maybe you have some cedar somewhere haha

Re: Treestand height - 03/18/18 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by M48scout

Edit: never mind. I was reading cedar in my head . Lol maybe you have some cedar somewhere haha

Something like these guys.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM