Aldeer.com

What broadheads do you like?

Posted By: jkm0017

What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 03:16 PM

I'm getting my arrows fletched up for my first bow season in several years. Last time I bow hunted I was using some broadheads my dad took off his old arrows, and I haven't bow hunted since I out grew that old bow.

Earlier this year I got the itch to get back into bow hunting, so I got a Bear BR33, pieced it together myself, and got it shooting bullet holes through paper. Since then I have been practicing when I can to get ready for this year's bow season.

My problem is I can't shoot broadheads at my target and my backyard isn't long enough to practice much past 10 yards. So, what broadheads would you guys recommend that will fly like field points. I don't have any experience with mechanical heads, but I hear they tend to perform more like field points than any fixed blade.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 03:59 PM

I highly recommend a slick trick, them little rascals will kill. Ive kilt a few deer withem an a buncha hogs,they rough onem. Vortex BH went back in business tho so ill go back to my old trusty brand.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 04:00 PM

Its just my opinion but, if you can only practice 10 or 15 yds, I'd find a place to practice that allows longer shots or not hunt. Plus, there's the issue of sighting in the bow at distance. I shoot thunderheads and have no issues but, I wouldn't hunt with any broadhead that I haven't practiced with. I shot BHs today out to 70yds. I won't shoot an elk that far unless its a follow up shot on one I've stuck already.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 04:10 PM

I like Slick Trick Mags, but they don't always fly exactly like a field point. No fixed head will 100% of the time. Sometimes further tuning is needed to get them to. Most fixed heads will fly with a field point, but at least one needs to be shot to confirm it.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 04:56 PM

If you live in Auburn then ride over to Sportsman Outpost in Waverly. They have a range out back that you can shoot field tips out to 50 yards. They should also be able to help you out with choosing the right broadheads for your setup.
Posted By: MS_DEER_HUNTER

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 05:25 PM

Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: sluggun
If you live in Auburn then ride over to Sportsman Outpost in Waverly. They have a range out back that you can shoot field tips out to 50 yards. They should also be able to help you out with choosing the right broadheads for your setup.
they good folks over there,thisah good idea
Posted By: BearVenue

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/04/17 06:58 PM

Slick Trick Standards
Posted By: BPro927

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/05/17 01:06 PM

Going to rage trypans this year
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/05/17 10:48 PM

I like slick ticks and grim reaper white tails
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 09:18 AM

Slick tricks and NAP killzones
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 09:29 AM

I've had no issues with Rage chisel tip 2 and 3 blades, would like to try the Trypan's out.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 10:27 AM

Been shooting Thunderhead 100s since 1992 with no issues. I've seen no reason for me to change.
Posted By: bill

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 04:24 PM

Slick Tricks and Shuttle T-locks have grouped right with my field points with every bow I've had. Thunderheads did fine in all my old set ups with no tuning but in the newer, faster bows they required some tuning. I haven't run into that issue with the Slick Tricks.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bill
Slick Tricks and Shuttle T-locks have grouped right with my field points with every bow I've had. Thunderheads did fine in all my old set ups with no tuning but in the newer, faster bows they required some tuning. I haven't run into that issue with the Slick Tricks.

What speed did the Thunderheads start giving you problems?
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 05:24 PM

I'm gonna go by the bank and get a loan next week so I get 2 packs of trypans.

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 05:28 PM

lol
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 09:15 PM

Rage 2 blade 125s. They on clearance on midway right now for 15 dollars a pack.
Posted By: jono23

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyJoe
Rage 2 blade 125s. They on clearance on midway right now for 15 dollars a pack.

Thats what I'm shooting. Got a good deal on them, they kill my deer dead.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/06/17 09:44 PM

Doesn't matter which broadhead you use as long as you hit them in the right spot. Fixed blades give a bit more forgiveness for shoulder shots. I'll probably stick with ramcats this year.

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/07/17 07:06 AM

I do practice longer shots out to about 50yds. I just can't do that at home whenever I want, but I work in Columbus, so I will stop by Archery Connection in Phenix City after work sometimes and get in some practice.

I have been looking at Swhacker broadheads. I saw them on sale on amazon.

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/07/17 07:14 AM

I have been out there before, but I haven't tried their range out yet. maybe I can get out there this weekend. Do you know how much they charge?
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/07/17 12:32 PM

Mechanical NAPs
Posted By: Recurve

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/07/17 12:38 PM

Ace Standard 125 grain glue on heads on my woodies.
Posted By: Out back

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/07/17 12:55 PM

Muzzy. The only name you need to know.
Posted By: bill

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Originally Posted By: bill

What speed did the Thunderheads start giving you problems?

I don't know for sure but probably around 280fps. They shot fine out of a PSE Nova I had with an Arson Cam that chrono'd at 268 fps. When I went to a DXT the Thunderheads started giving me issues. Switched to the Slick Tricks and problem solved. Haven't tried anything but the ST and Shuttles in my Bear Attack but they group right with the field points with my hunting set up shooting 312fps.

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 05:39 AM

Yep, once you hit that 280fps threshold, fixed heads can be a real pain to tune.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 09:47 AM

like most raw Texas cherts for points... grin

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
Yep, once you hit that 280fps threshold, fixed heads can be a real pain to tune.

I never thought I'd hear those words from you!
But then, I never figured I'd be shooting a cross gun either. But I'm pushing 320 fps and have no trouble shooting my 100 grain 3 blade muzzys.
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 05:36 PM

Grim Reaper Razor tips

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Out back
Originally Posted By: Shaw

I never thought I'd hear those words from you!
But then, I never figured I'd be shooting a cross gun either. But I'm pushing 320 fps and have no trouble shooting my 100 grain 3 blade muzzys.

I've always known that and don't have to worry about it out of my setups. My hunting rigs normally chrono in the low 260's. It not as critical out of a xbow because the "bow" is mounted on a gun stock, which knocks the human error factor way down. Plus your shooting a 20 or 22" shaft that is stiff as hell.
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 08:08 PM

Ramcats , I like to shoot em in the shoulder so expandables won't work for me .

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 10:33 PM

My shaft ain't stiff as it once was.
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/08/17 11:34 PM

Grim reapers
Posted By: Rooster600

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/09/17 08:20 PM

I really like the QAD Exodus. Have always shot side by side with my field points regardless of what bow I was using. Not a real popular head but I really like the design and they are some of the toughest out there.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: What broadheads do you like? - 08/10/17 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jkm0017
So, what broadheads would you guys recommend that will fly like field points.

100gr Toxic's & Muzzy 3-blades; try to shoot a time or two out to your "target" distance at a target that'll take bh's (ie not a bag) & hunt w/in those limitations... For me, that's 30 yards max but I typically try & shoot 20 yards-ish at deer...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM