Aldeer.com

Draw length

Posted By: Smoke_Diver

Draw length - 10/03/16 07:53 PM

Using the wing span method I measure exactly a 28.5" draw length. That's with relaxed arms straight out, middle finger to middle finger. I've been told whatever you measure is what you should shoot no matter what bow your shooting. But I've also been told it can depend on the bow. What's yall's opinion?
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 07:59 PM

I think it depends on the bow. My draw is 28 but I have shot as short as 27.5 and as long as 28.5
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 08:01 PM

I shot a 27 on hoyt and mathews and 27.5 on my elite. And it feels a little shorter than the hoyt or mathews.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 08:19 PM

Some bows run long on their posted draw lengths.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 09:26 PM

That's also not the most accurate way of measuring draw. Go to a pro shop and have them measure it.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 10:06 PM

I think the measuring wingspan is crap.

It doesn't take into account arm length vs shoulder width. Everyone is built different. I was in a bow way too long for way too long, because of that measuring. Anchor points were never right, made a world of difference to get actually fit for a bow
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 10:11 PM

You can measure actual draw length all you want. But you have to adjust when you throw in d-loop and release and different bows. You'll probably need a shorter draw bow.

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jbc

Yep
Posted By: Smoke_Diver

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BowtechDan

Yep

Archery unlimited told me today that's the correct way. My SBXT is 28.5 and feels great. I shot a creed yesterday that was a 28" draw length. It felt great also. Maybe even better. I agree that everybody's body is different and every bow is different. Thanks for the input guys.

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Smoke_Diver
Originally Posted By: BowtechDan

Yep

Archery unlimited told me today that's the correct way. My SBXT is 28.5 and feels great. I shot a creed yesterday that was a 28" draw length. It felt great also. Maybe even better. I agree that everybody's body is different and every bow is different. Thanks for the input guys.

They're the ones who had me in misfit bow.

Not talking bad about them, i like the store. It's just not the most accurate fitting
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Draw length - 10/03/16 11:15 PM

I've always used the wingspan method, and to my knowledge, have never misfit anyone. Like I've said before, some bows run long on what's stamped on the cam. I know when measuring someone for a Mathews bow from the Z7 to the current models, to subtract a half inch. As Dan mentioned, a d-loop and release length all come into play.

JBC, as far as you being misfit, all it takes is one wrong number punched on the calculator to come up with the wrong measurement. The person that set it up should have recognized it once they saw you draw and anchor. I used to shoot for Archery Unlimited and I think Rick runs the best shop in the state, but mistakes do happen. The wingspan method is a solid way to measure drawlength.

Re: Draw length - 10/04/16 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
I've always used the wingspan method, and to my knowledge, have never misfit anyone.Like I've said before, some bows run long on what's stamped on the cam. I know when measuring someone for a Mathews bow from the Z7 to the current models, to subtract a half inch. As Dan mentioned, a d-loop and release length all come into play.

Right. I wasn't being negative and saying the wingspan method is wrong. I just don't want folks determining their wingspan,and then think that is the draw length bow they need. Not everyone is the same.

Re: Draw length - 10/04/16 07:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw

JBC, as far as you being misfit, all it takes is one wrong number punched on the calculator to come up with the wrong measurement. The person that set it up should have recognized it once they saw you draw and anchor. I used to shoot for Archery Unlimited and I think Rick runs the best shop in the state, but mistakes do happen. The wingspan method is a solid way to measure drawlength.

I like rick and the other guys there. Great shop.

I'm just saying I consider the wingspan method for setting draw length about like boresighting a scope. Further alterations are needed in my experience.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM