Aldeer.com

Archery Elk Hunt

Posted By: click 74

Archery Elk Hunt - 06/02/11 12:45 AM

Need help in determining the best boots to hunt in while on an archery elk hunt in Colorado.
Posted By: jeffpike83

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/02/11 01:03 AM

i wear mucks but you dont want them go with something light.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/02/11 01:11 AM

I like Danner. I wear regular width (D) but the Danner Frontiers that I hunted in were wide--just how they ran. So, I'd do this:

1.go somewhere to try them on before buying
2.wear them a bunch in rough country before going
3.know that this may be the most important purchase, so spend some $.
4.I'd buy uninsulated b/c you'll likely be on the move constantly.

Others I elk hunted with used Kenetrek, Meindl, and other Danner models (especially Pronghorn). Good luck and post pictures of the hunt.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/02/11 01:17 AM

one more thing...
I would not use rubber boots like Muck/Lacrosse/etc. You'll see--its just not that kind of hunting. I usually walked 7-12 miles/day in the mountains during elk season. Rubber boots would not work for that much walking in rough terrain. my 2cents.

One of the best elk hunters I knew and hunted with used an all-terrain type nike low/light hiking shoe (basically a tennis shoe with grip). You can usually find your way over/around water, and high elevations are usually relatively dry.
Posted By: click 74

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/02/11 01:31 AM

Thanks for the good info.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/02/11 12:56 PM

leather boots, Vibram soles, good ankle support, well broken in.

Danners are good boots.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/02/11 01:01 PM

Danner here as well. I like the Pronghorns.

Where, when, how, etc... What kind of hunt are you going on?

I am taking my wife on her first archery elk hunt this fall. We are going to unit 14 on a DIY hunt. Planning on 12 days of hunting. Can't wait.
Posted By: Bowfool

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/04/11 02:45 PM

I second Danner Pronghorns I know a lot of guides that wear them.
Posted By: North_Bama

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/21/11 02:22 AM

Danner pronghorns wore them 8 miles a day through the rough Alaskan tundra for 7 days and close to 7-8 miles a day do the math & I also have arch and heel issues and they were amazing!! No rubber boots! You will be blistered up from so much slipping once you start sweating.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 06/21/11 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: click 74
Need help in determining the best boots to hunt in while on an archery elk hunt in Colorado.

Here you go.....you asked for the best, not the best for the money.
http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=2108860492&Category=2&Type=M
© 2024 ALDEER.COM