Aldeer.com

Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson

Posted By: ElkHunter

Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/14/14 03:40 PM

It is about that time again. Going up on April 25 for a few days. Anyone have an update?
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/14/14 05:17 PM

Oh no the smallmouth sandwich maker. The last report I got was do not eat any bass from Wilson lake due to a rare disease just found last week in the smallmouth and largemouth bass. From what I hear it gets in your scrotum and eats it from the inside out and all that is left after the disease looks like a vagina.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/14/14 05:20 PM

Okay, anyone else have any info on the fishing? LOL
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/14/14 06:52 PM

lol

I don't have any Wilson info, but if they're doing the same thing there that they are on Pickwick then this might be relevant info...I think the Pickwick smallies are starting to bed, so they'll probably still be bedding or coming off bed during that time.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/14/14 10:15 PM

Hey Barry if they are on bed we can still catch stripers. crazy
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 12:14 PM

Have fun with the vultures, I hear they like trucks with tags that begin with 3 or 4. I tried to help you last year until I found out you were making sandwiches with smallmouth.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: jdhunter2011
Have fun with the vultures, I hear they like trucks with tags that begin with 3 or 4. I tried to help you last year until I found out you were making sandwiches with smallmouth.

You must have not ever had a smallmouth sandwich
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

You must have not ever had a smallmouth sandwich

I haven't but it sounds delicious grin

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 01:32 PM

I forgot about all those damn buzzards. I guess I need to bring a tarp or a dead deer to throw in the back of someone else's truck.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 01:34 PM

Dad whacked 'em last week below Wilson Dam. Had some 5-plus brownies and greenheads.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 01:53 PM

Would it be out of reason to petition the federal government and dcnr to let someone go to the parking lot right there at the dam one morning and kill about 6 or 700 of those damn buzzards? I know they are protected and all but the population is severely out of whack up there.
Posted By: gman

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 04:05 PM

watched em ruin 4 or 5 trucks last year. why they chose THOSE trucks is beyond me? But all 6-700 were on just those trucks??

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 08:54 PM

Y'all talking about cormorants?

South Carolina DNR did a cormorant hunt recently. Killed some 11,000-plus of 'em.

Wish we could do that here.

http://dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2013/nov21/nov21_cormorant.html

http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/16/3042303/sc-hunters-are-asked-to-help-reduce.html

http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/04/3368510/exclusive-sc-hunters-kill-more.html

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem

I'd be the first in line for a permit. Them stinkin ass things have killed more trees than a logging company

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/15/14 09:04 PM

Y'all talking about cormorants?

South Carolina DNR did a cormorant hunt recently. Killed some 11,000-plus of 'em.

no we are talking about buzzards that sit on your truck the whole time you are fishing and chit all over it and scratch your paint with their claws and fight and have sex and do whatever else buzzards do. there will seriously be 20 buzzards sitting on one truck.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/16/14 07:54 AM

and pulling the seals outta your windshields and pulling the rubber off your windshield wipers.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/16/14 08:41 AM

We fished Wheeler last week for a high school tourney. Only caught one smally. Only took 16 and change to win. There was one just shy of 5 weighed in that was caught on the upper end where we was. If this helps........................

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/16/14 08:50 AM

Interesting. Never have heard of that many vultures ganged up like that at the dam.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/16/14 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Drake322
We fished Wheeler last week for a high school tourney. Only caught one smally. Only took 16 and change to win. There was one just shy of 5 weighed in that was caught on the upper end where we was. If this helps........................

One of my friends son and another kid got 3rd they had 15.80 I think

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/16/14 11:24 AM

I will likely be up there, but the fishing below the dam has slowed. Ive been on good fish but a lil downriver. I may be there on the 26th, what will kind of boat will yall be fishing out of in case I come to the dam???
Posted By: CAM

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/16/14 11:49 AM

Interesting. Never have heard of that many vultures ganged up like that at the dam.

Clem, it's been on the local news (Last fall I think). You could probably "google" it and find out more.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/18/14 07:08 AM

I will likely be up there, but the fishing below the dam has slowed. Ive been on good fish but a lil downriver. I may be there on the 26th, what will kind of boat will yall be fishing out of in case I come to the dam???

Silver g3 18 foot center console with a Yamaha 90 and 2 fat guys.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/18/14 08:04 AM

good for them! If my boys would have landed all they stuck and let get off they would have close to 15#.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/18/14 08:19 AM

good for them! If my boys would have landed all they stuck and let get off they would have close to 15#.

Yeah they did good. Tickled me when his dad was telling me about it. Till this year the kids had never fished with anything but soft plastics so when a fish hit a crankbait or spinnerbait they were checking it like a hit on a worm before they set the hook. They were in the blue and white fish and ski

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/18/14 11:14 AM

Man there were over 220 boats up there and with my memory there is no way I would remember them. LOL.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/20/14 09:55 AM

They are horrible Clem. Never seen anything like it.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/20/14 10:14 AM

They are waiting on your truck.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/20/14 10:14 AM

Are you serious? LOL If you are concerned about the 10-12 I take out once a year, then you really need to find something else to worry about.

And by the way, you need to start practicing catch and release on the deer and or turkeys you kill. Why just protect the fish?

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 10:45 AM

I dont turkey hunt and I only killed 3 deer all year so dont come at me about catch and release. There are plenty of other fish in that river that need to be taken out that are excellent to eat. I catch enough crappie each year to eat and release everything else. Anyone with any sense knows how lucky we are to have a good smallmouth fishery and thats the resource that needs to be protected the most. Its your right just like if I wanted to kill a doe a day by law I could do so. I choose not to be an asshat. Im not worried about your 10-12 or the other minnow fishermen who I out fished on pickwick last week. They eat them, I choose to release them. Everyone has to make their own decisions. Im a braves fan, you probably liked the expos. I release, you eat, My ancestors fought for the south, yours likely rode with Sherman. You support Obama, I think we could do better. It takes all kinds, just dont ask North BAma Boys for help finding the fish we have already caught and released this year.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 10:55 AM

Good post JD!

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 11:16 AM

JD,

You OBVIOUSLY don't know squat about me or you are simply trying to be funny. Either way, before you run off at the mouth and start something, you might want to do a little research about who I am.

Smallmouth bass are not an endangered or protected species. And some of your North Alabama Boys have been very helpful and supportive. So, I will try to restrict my requests for help to folks that have handles that start with something other than JD in the future. And you can go ahead and keep spanking those minnow fisherman.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 11:45 AM

Damn. That got stupidFugly for no reason at all.

Smallmouth have been around since the river was dammed. Their populations are cyclical like any other animal, but they're damn sure not endangered or in trouble on the Tennessee River.

They taste good, too.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 11:50 AM

"You OBVIOUSLY don't know squat about me or you are simply trying to be funny. Either way, before you run off at the mouth and start something, you might want to do a little research about who I am."

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t666/jlouallen/Elkhunter_zps245b35ac.jpg

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 12:25 PM

Smallmouth are great on toasted buns with cole slaw and chipotle, filleted and fried, of course.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 12:26 PM

cole slaw, UGGHHH, piss on that I should have kept the lil smallmouth I caught on Guntersville this weekend during my tournament.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 01:01 PM

Sure. Not illegal and they're tasty.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 02:01 PM

Well damn, this thread got sideways quick.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 02:21 PM

Sorry

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
Sorry

Don't apologize, I'm enjoying Clem's instructions for smallmouth sammiches grin
Posted By: scoutmaster

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 06:06 PM

Smallies are the dijon mustard of bass, now a sack full of smith lake spot burgers, thats like manna from heaven wink

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 08:11 PM

Here is what you are about.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

And your point is?

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 08:20 PM

He said jd hunter needed to do some research who he was so I was just helping him out.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 08:24 PM

He said jd hunter needed to do some research who he was so I was just helping him out.

Y'all are acting like he's breaking the law by keeping them. Heck I normally throw them back but I think I'll start keeping my limit every time I go up there now.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 08:40 PM

Y'all are acting like he's breaking the law by keeping them. Heck I normally throw them back but I think I'll start keeping my limit every time I go up there now.

Will you stop and pick me up? Damned if Clem ain't got me wanting to eat a smallmouth sandwich grin
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 09:02 PM

Those things look thick! I bet they would have some fat daddy filets on them.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 09:13 PM

^^^^they did, I guess we need to pay the jds some royalties for coming up there and keeping 8 of their bass, by the way what were their names?

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/21/14 09:21 PM

Quote:
Will you stop and pick me up? Damned if Clem ain't got me wanting to eat a smallmouth sandwich

Don't use a lot of mayonaise in the slaw, maybe about half as much, so it's not slimy when you put a dollop on top of the hot fillet. Then drizzle on some chipotle or a little Louisiana Hot Sauce. Yum.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 08:47 AM

You and your sister JD are not to bright. He attacked me as a sports fan, my heritage, and my political affiliations. And you research a picture of a few bass. Funny
Posted By: btbab10

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 09:17 AM

What is wrong with eating smallmouth? There is plenty of them and they taste good.

I am an exclusive smallmouth fisherman when it comes to fishing for bass. They are my favorite type of fish to catch. That being said, I have kept several to eat. Depends on what mood I am in. Sometimes I am in sportfish mode and I catch and release. Sometimes I take live bait and take home and clean every fish I catch, including small mouth. I have never kept a smallmouth that weighed over 2 pounds. I usually let the bigger ones go.

I fish mainly in the Tennessee River, Elk river, and creeks all through North AL and Southern TN. I catch more brown ones than green ones.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 09:22 AM

rolleyes

This thread is a classic example of why outdoorsmen are their own worst enemy. I don't like eating bass from the lake, they just don't taste good to me, but I sure as hell not going to look down on a man for keeping and eating something that was put here to be EATEN. Elk, you and TFD have a good time! I can meet you at the boat ramp after the fact and we can fillet, batter and fry them bastages up right there at the ramp. grin

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 09:27 AM

Heck, let's get up a smallmouth bass fish fry this weekend!!!!!!

We have a cabin rented right there at the damn.

Who is in? LOL

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 11:12 AM

I am. When y'all coming up? Keep whatever's legal - smallmouth, largemouth, stripers, whatever - and we'll fry the hell outta them for supper.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 12:13 PM

Can we put together a best of the best "How To Cook Smallmouth" recipe pamphlet to hand out? grin

I've already printed out the "Your Secret Smallmout Spots aren't Secret" pamphlet already.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 12:35 PM

lol

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 01:29 PM

I will be coming up Friday afternoon and staying thru Monday. Let's meet Saturday midday and have a big smallmouth cook off! I will post the cabin we have rented just as soon as I get the number. Seriously!

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 03:11 PM

Yay, I get to meet Clem and cook some smallmouth!

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: tfd1224
Yay, I get to meet Clem and cook some smallmouth!

Better hide some while you cook it if Clem is coming. grin

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 04:13 PM

Damn right. Or catch about four limits ...

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 04:16 PM

The easiest way to catch good fryer fish is to use something like a shakey head, drop shot, or Texas-rigged tube or 7-inch worm around docks or marinas and release areas after a tournament, especially if there's riprap banks, docks, boat houses, etc.

Those fish will hang around there and you can just pluck 'em off left and right. Get the grease ready. Heck, save the scraps after filleting and hang them on trotlines for catfish and turtles. Double bonus!

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 04:19 PM

Yeah buddy...that #4 live bait hook hanging on that limb line that almost got me the other day on flint woulda felt good! wink If you put a trot line or limb line out...take it up when you're done, puleeeeeezzzzzze.

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: gman
Yeah buddy...that #4 live bait hook hanging on that limb line that almost got me the other day on flint woulda felt good! wink If you put a trot line or limb line out...take it up when you're done, puleeeeeezzzzzze.

^^^^this, I think limb lines are a public safety concern. I have almost been hooked by many of them and they are a pain in the ass to get out of a castnet

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 05:02 PM

Very true. If you're running trot or limb lines, or yo-yo rigs where legal, and leave them out, you're an asshat. Go run and remove your lines.
Posted By: BirminghamBuck

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 05:23 PM

Them things would make some big ass fish tacos! YUMMMM
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Annual Smallmouth fishing trip on Wilson - 04/22/14 08:10 PM

I'd come up there if it wasn't my boys birthday and birthday party. Sounds like a fun time!

Y'all are kidding yourself if you don't think Barry has a knack for putting a serious dent in the population of certain species with a previously high population. grin Don't worry though, they'll be bigger, healthier, and have precise spawn after he leaves rofl
© 2024 ALDEER.COM