Aldeer.com

Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing

Posted By: IDOT

Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/25/24 06:41 PM

After watching Ole Rocky Drake, decided to give it a whirl Sunday. Other than looking like a complete tard throwing the cast net, I can't believe how easy and effective of a way to fish it is. Took me an hr or so to get the feel for it, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty damn fun. If you're fishing below the Dam, you can get all the gizard shad you want in Shoal Creek.
Posted By: globe

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/25/24 07:46 PM

I grew up vacationing at a families place on oyster bay at the beach. Went to the same place for over 15 years. We spent 90% of our time fishing, crabbing and throwing casting nets for fun off an old pier. Caught everything in those things. Puffer fish was the coolest.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/25/24 07:51 PM

My favorite way to bass fish
Posted By: CD

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/25/24 09:16 PM

That damn Rocky showing folks where to fish again. 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

Right now, and for the next month or so, is a good time to hang into a big striper. After that, as long as you can get bait, you can still have lots of fun with catfish and big drum. I met some old codgers at Nickajack that fish all summer for drum. They catch them on jigging spoons long after they’re able to catch bait in the spring. The best part about fishing below the dam, is you’re more likely to get your line stretched than not. Tight lines pal!
Posted By: BAR1225

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/26/24 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
My favorite way to bass fish

I figured it would have involved corn some how…
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/26/24 06:06 AM

I've done it a few times in the past month livescope makes it really easy to catch shad. That's the main reason I quit live bait fishing was the hassle to catch bait
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/26/24 09:52 PM

It's the first thing I do on every trip. I have several different places I catch bait. Shallow sand flats, creek mouths, below dams ect. When the water temp gets to the upper 60s you'll catch whole school of crappie below dams. Sometimes it's hard to throw em back..
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/26/24 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
It's the first thing I do on every trip. I have several different places I catch bait. Shallow sand flats, creek mouths, below dams ect. When the water temp gets to the upper 60s you'll catch whole school of crappie below dams. Sometimes it's hard to throw em back..
What you mean by sometimes? laugh
Posted By: YellaLineHunter

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/27/24 03:03 AM

Saw a guy try that and got a net full of catfish. Looked like a horrible mess
Posted By: Peach

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/27/24 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by YellaLineHunter

I caught 48 saltwater catfish in my net once. I let the net sit on the pier til all the catfish died. I then took a pair of wire cutters and clipped all the sharp fins. All the catfish easily fell out of the net. Still was time consuming!
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/27/24 05:35 PM

Cast netting is one of my favorite things to do. I’ve got 3 nets, a 14ft mullet net, a 12ft bait net, and a 7ft that I use at the beach. My 8yo also throws a 4ft net. Pensacola beach 2 summers ago I caught a load of cigar minnows and brought them to the sand. Asians all came running and screaming and scooped them all up and took them back to their condo. I guess the we’re making sushi for he rest of the day.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/28/24 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Cast netting is one of my favorite things to do. I’ve got 3 nets, a 14ft mullet net, a 12ft bait net, and a 7ft that I use at the beach. My 8yo also throws a 4ft net. Pensacola beach 2 summers ago I caught a load of cigar minnows and brought them to the sand. Asians all came running and screaming and scooped them all up and took them back to their condo. I guess the we’re making sushi for he rest of the day.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do you know much about throwing a net in deeper water? I've got a 14 footer with 1 lb of weight per foot I guess. Eve with a perfect throw its about closed by 8 foot deep
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/28/24 10:31 AM

Put a little duct tape with a small tag on every or every other weight and it will close slower.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/28/24 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do you know much about throwing a net in deeper water? I've got a 14 footer with 1 lb of weight per foot I guess. Eve with a perfect throw its about closed by 8 foot deep

They make a band you can weave into the bottom of them as well as what Shiloh said
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/28/24 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peach

I caught 48 saltwater catfish in my net once. I let the net sit on the pier til all the catfish died. I then took a pair of wire cutters and clipped all the sharp fins. All the catfish easily fell out of the net. Still was time consuming!

Pansy. You should've just waded right in there with both hands and started tossing those nasty bastages out of that net. rofl
Posted By: Peach

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/28/24 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300

Pansy. You should've just waded right in there with both hands and started tossing those nasty bastages out of that net. rofl

lol! I’ve learned my lesson the hard way! Those things hurt badly.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/29/24 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by abolt300

lol! I’ve learned my lesson the hard way! Those things hurt badly.

I caught a whole herd of 7 or 8 inch long channel cats in one once. Did about the same thing Peach did. Even little freshwater cats hurt like hail, and the smaller they are the sharper those spikes are. I've only been spiked real good one time, and there's a reason it's only happened once.
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/29/24 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by IDOT
After watching Ole Rocky Drake, decided to give it a whirl Sunday. Other than looking like a complete tard throwing the cast net, I can't believe how easy and effective of a way to fish it is. Took me an hr or so to get the feel for it, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty damn fun. If you're fishing below the Dam, you can get all the gizard shad you want in Shoal Creek.

The All Natural Swimbait!

May I ask what brand/type of cast net you bought? I've been looking into them for catching shad for catfish bait until the skipjack start biting again. Going to be hard. My boat partners' grand kids do enjoy catching those bluegills we use for bait. The blue and flat head bite is on fire right now for those who like them under 10 lbs.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 03/29/24 11:03 PM

I bought whatever brand was at Walmart. 6ft el cheapo
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 04/01/24 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I want mine to sink as fast as possible so I don’t add anything that would slow it down. Usually the deepest I’m throwing is 12 foot of water and the bait is usually in the top of the water column.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Cast Net-Live Bait Fishing - 04/01/24 08:01 PM

If you are dam fishing use a wire net along the wall to catch shad. Has to be wire there is no water resistance. You can dip it right into the raging current and snatch up baskets full along the walls. I've never thrown a cast net in freshwater much but I'm starting to on places like Martin for Stripe. A real time suck and IMO unnecessary and not worth it. You are missing fish screwing around with that.

Saltwater = Mandatory to use
© 2024 ALDEER.COM