Aldeer.com

Allison boats

Posted By: klay

Allison boats - 07/16/21 02:46 PM

Someone on here knows something about them, I think. I have a question on value? Anyone have a clue?

1998 Allison 2003 XB, 150 EFI Merc., all original. Climate controlled garage.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hayman

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 03:27 PM

That motor should not have come with a nose cone and low water pickup. Nice looking light, fast boat.
Something about that motor on that boat just doesn’t look right though. It might not be a 150.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 03:32 PM

As a package the 150 (if it is a 150) kills value. I am going to guess $17K. If it had a Promax on it, north of $20K.

Shonuff a garage boat. Looks great.
Posted By: BCD

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by hayman
That motor should not have come with a nose cone and low water pickup. Nice looking light, fast boat.
Something about that motor on that boat just doesn’t look right though. It might not be a 150.

This.
If setup properly they are extremely fast boats that handles very well not sure on the value. Have a friend that only runs them I can reach out to him if you would like

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 03:38 PM

One of the few bass boat hulls that could legitimately see 100mph.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 03:41 PM

Don’t let that 150 fool you. I know where a stratus is with that same motor that will run with a 225 for a ways. That’s a nice ride

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 03:44 PM

Depending on boat length that is’ and I’m sure it’s a 5 digit boat for sure

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 03:45 PM

It is a 150. The guy bought it new. It had a 200 on it and his wife refused to get in it. It's a 150 with a different lower unit. Not sure if anything else has been done to it. Was told even with the 150, it would run 83. The guy died and his wife is selling it. As most of you know, I flip boats. I just don't want to get hung out on it and have to hold it for a long time.

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 04:06 PM

Those boats are fast for sure. Not sure on 83 with a 150 on it. With the 200 no doubt it will run 83.
Posted By: hammerhead

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 04:08 PM

Buddy of mine just sold a 98 2003xp (it had a 225x on it though) in immaculate condition (I actually had to look up his ad because it looked like his, but the red and black were reversed on his). He had it listed at $25k and it sold within a week of him posting it. I bet you could list it at $20k and probably get offers pretty dang close to that number

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BCD
Those boats are fast for sure. Not sure on 83 with a 150 on it. With the 200 no doubt it will run 83.

I'm not sure either, but I google searched them and several forums had people posting low 80s with 2 people. Right conditions and good driving. Definitely not tournament loaded.

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by klay
It is a 150. The guy bought it new. It had a 200 on it and his wife refused to get in it. It's a 150 with a different lower unit. Not sure if anything else has been done to it. Was told even with the 150, it would run 83. The guy died and his wife is selling it. As most of you know, I flip boats. I just don't want to get hung out on it and have to hold it for a long time.

Only way to get hung on that boat is to give too much. You buy it, PM me. I know two guys that flip Allisons.

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by BCD

I'm not sure either, but I google searched them and several forums had people posting low 80s with 2 people. Right conditions and good driving. Definitely not tournament loaded.

I was a passenger in a 2003 w/a 260 on the back of it. We hit 98 and had more to go. TX loaded they can be 80s all day long.
Posted By: Young20

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 04:19 PM

When I was with Marvin Hurst, we designed and built a model we called the Weapon. It was a 17 footer rated for 150 and my personal ones, admittedly built a little light, would run 77 with a Merc 150. The only bass boat with a 150 that ever outran me was an Allison. They have a strong following so, I agree with the 25k price point.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 07:31 PM

Never cared for them

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Never cared for them

I've wanted one since I was 10 years old. One day, maybe too keep. I just want this one long enough to drive it and sell it.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 07:57 PM

Allisons would scream but dont know about the 83 with a one fify

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sandmtnslayer

I know, but I intend on finding out. 😁

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 08:34 PM

Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 09:21 PM

Absolutely beautiful boats
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 09:24 PM

Make sure to video the test drive!

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 09:40 PM

My Hurst Weapons were powered by Merc 150 XR6's. They were turning a 26 pitch Lazer II 6300 to 6400 and those motors had the smaller 115 lower unit which was good for a couple mile per hour. The 77 mph was on radar by a state trooper we knew who loved bass fishing. The only thing I would question about that Allison running 83 is the 4 blade prop. The one that outran my Weapon was the same model you're looking at and was running the same motor and size prop that I was. He said he was running 82. Looking forward to hear how well that one runs. I visited with Darris Allison for about 4 hours one time when I was on the way to a B.A.S.S. tounament. His father and him know how to make one run. Here's a good read about them. https://www.allisonboats.com/about

Re: Allison boats - 07/16/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Young20

My Hurst Weapons were powered by Merc 150 XR6's. They were turning a 26 pitch Lazer II 6300 to 6400 and those motors had the smaller 115 lower unit which was good for a couple mile per hour. The 77 mph was on radar by a state trooper we knew who loved bass fishing. The only thing I would question about that Allison running 83 is the 4 blade prop. The one that outran my Weapon was the same model you're looking at and was running the same motor and size prop that I was. He said he was running 82. Looking forward to hear how well that one runs. I visited with Darris Allison for about 4 hours one time when I was on the way to a B.A.S.S. tounament. His father and him know how to make one run. Here's a good read about them. https://www.allisonboats.com/about

Thanks. I'm check it out. I was supposed to go Monday, but it's been pushed back to the week after.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by BigEd
Make sure to video the test drive!

Will do. Never had an Allison, but I've had two Blazer 202s with 300s and a bullet with a Hydrotec Marine Yamaha. The fastest I've been so far is 87. I wish the Allison had a bigger motor.
Posted By: CAL

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 12:43 AM

You wouldn’t catch my white arse going that fast on the water.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by CAL

laugh For some reason, you were the main person I posted this for. Must have mixed you with someone. I thought you were the one into fast boats.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by CAL

ME EITHER. Klay, I hope you don't take a June Bug to the noggin while you're screaming down the lake.
Posted By: hamma

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 01:43 AM

The XB03 is a wider more fishing friendly hull than the XB02.. The 03 will not run the MPH an 02 will however 83 is very doable on that hull with a 150.. That boat turn key should
bring around 18k ish . I've owned quite a few of em, that's a nice rig
Posted By: gman

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Originally Posted by CAL

ME EITHER. Klay, I hope you don't take a June Bug to the noggin while you're screaming down the lake.

😂

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 01:57 AM

The tr196 i just sold gps’d 75 with a 200 pro xs. I bet that light hulled allison will fly.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by hamma
The XB03 is a wider more fishing friendly hull than the XB02.. The 03 will not run the MPH an 02 will however 83 is very doable on that hull with a 150.. That boat turn key should
bring around 18k ish . I've owned quite a few of em, that's a nice rig

Thanks. This is what most of my research is turning up.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 02:26 AM

laugh For some reason, you were the main person I posted this for. Must have mixed you with someone. I thought you were the one into fast boats.

I could be wrong, but I think Hunterbuck might be the one with the info on Allisons.

Beautiful boat. Very well kept.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 02:30 AM

That motor set up by me would run faster than 83, that I can promise. Been there done that.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 02:33 AM

I set up a 2002 with a 260 pro sport for a Vietnam helicopter pilot. That boat ran 108 mph with three people in it.
Posted By: GoldenEagle

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
I set up a 2002 with a 260 pro sport for a Vietnam helicopter pilot. That boat ran 108 mph with three people in it.

Not no but hell no!!!
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 04:09 AM

Garage condition, that is a good place for it. The speed doesn't bother me, but kowing how many half or almost slightly under the water submerged logs and other nasty stuff I have seen floating down rivers and streams does. At those speeds the boat could be blowed in half. Combined speed with low wind days there is probably not many days that boat has seen the water. Get a good insurance policy you will need it. Choose your poison seatbelt or no seatbelt, which for you?😃

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by outdoors1
Garage condition, that is a good place for it. The speed doesn't bother me, but kowing how many half or almost slightly under the water submerged logs and other nasty stuff I have seen floating down rivers and streams does. At those speeds the boat could be blowed in half. Combined speed with low wind days there is probably not many days that boat has seen the water. Get a good insurance policy you will need it. Choose your poison seatbelt or no seatbelt, which for you?😃

Just watch that tablet and keep your earbuds in.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 01:35 PM

Don't mean to derail your thread, but if they could make a bass boat that would run 83 with a 150 on it, why did they start putting a 250 on all of them?

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Don't mean to derail your thread, but if they could make a bass boat that would run 83 with a 150 on it, why did they start putting a 250 on all of them?

Bc they started making them 22ft long and wide as a pick up bed with closets in the floor.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 02:38 PM

They wanted to run 100.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life

Bc they started making them 22ft long and wide as a pick up bed with closets in the floor.

Yep. Allison finally put one in the Bassmaster circuit a few years ago. They only put a 200. Used it for advertising. With a 200, it would still outrun the competition and burn way less gas doing it.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 07:34 PM

Seems odd that the 150 would have a four blade prop on it. I would have thought it would be faster with a three blade on a light hull. Why the nose cone?
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 08:23 PM

Be careful. They will hook on you and you'll get wet. That boat will run 83 all day. Be careful letting off the throttle too fast.

I'd put it on Facebook for 21,500.00.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 09:14 PM

I would really love to have this boat.. only at a pre-Covid price though. Really nice ride and I love a fast boat

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
I would really love to have this boat.. only at a pre-Covid price though. Really nice ride and I love a fast boat

Alison's have and will always be high. That's why this will be my first one.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 10:05 PM

Definitely post up the results.

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 10:21 PM

Back many years ago I had 17' Venture rated for 115. I put a 150 on it. Had to put 10 gallon jugs of water in the front hull but nothing ever passed me on the Big G

Re: Allison boats - 07/17/21 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Seems odd that the 150 would have a four blade prop on it. I would have thought it would be faster with a three blade on a light hull. Why the nose cone?

The Nose cone with low water pick up allows you to run the motor much higher by keeping water psi to the motor. Running the motor higher makes more MPH & helps the boat handle much better.. 4 blade props also tend to handle better than a 3 blade.. This boat appears to be set up to fish
Posted By: blade

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 12:53 AM

Skintback and I were boat #1 at coffeeville landing right ablove the dam one morning. That triton would run 77 and Skintback had it pegged. The Allison and a Bullett were at least 15 boats back. They both caught us at Oppatuka in that long stretch and walked off.

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 12:58 AM

The Nose cone with low water pick up allows you to run the motor much higher by keeping water psi to the motor. Running the motor higher makes more MPH & helps the boat handle much better.. 4 blade props also tend to handle better than a 3 blade.. This boat appears to be set up to fish

Yeah but that motor isn't set up high was my point.

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 01:22 AM

So I been reading some forums on this hull. I’m gonna say this boat will run in the mid to upper 70’s klay. I may be wrong have been a lot. But I think you can get it in the 80’s with your knowledge

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 01:24 AM

The cone makes me think I could be wrong though
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 01:44 AM

I've owned 5 different Allison boats, all either xb2003's or xb2002's. I've also driven a pile of xs2003's, a couple of ss2000's, a couple of xr2001's, and an xr2002. Loved them all, other than the ss2000's. Those things are a damn handful....fast, but extremely finicky.

I've owned 2 xb2003's. Last one was about 10 years ago. I prefer xb2002's as I don't fish, and they drive better....and faster.

That said, the xb03's will flat out haul the mail. They will also throw your ass in the river if you don't know what you're doing. As someone above said, don't do a throttle chop...when the nose drops, you may turn around in a hurry. Some get frustrated trying to learn to drive them, because they can be difficult to properly balance, and others never get comfortable enough with the trim button to give them what they need to settle down. Set up properly and with seat time, they are really easy to drive, though.

Fastest I ever got either of my xb03's was 101.4 (GPS clocked...don't believe ANY speed claim if it's not GPS), in ideal conditions...cool, low humidity day in the fall. Smoked a cylinder in that 260 that day, as I had my fuel set a smidge too low for the cool, dry conditions. It was fun while it lasted. grin

Now, if that's a 100% stock 150 efi, I have serious doubts that it will push that boat into the low 80's. It simply won't turn enough rpm's to get there. I think the rev limiter is set at either 5600 or 5800 rpm. It can be done, just not with a bone stock 150. I personally know a guy that had a 150 ProMax short shaft with a Brucato ECU (no limiter) that would run mid-80's REAL LIGHT.

The coned lower unit is pretty much a necessity with Allison boats...outside of maybe the XB21's, which I don't know a whole lot about. As someone correctly stated, to get them to "fly", you need to run with the motor high. Most run very well with the propshaft even with the pad. Some will run with the propshaft a little above the pad. Without the low water pickup, you'd run out of water and burn your engine up pretty quickly. That appears to be either a Tooter, Titus, or JC's cone job....all 3 do/did excellent work.

The 4 blade prop will make it slightly easier to handle, but it'll scrub a couple of mph off, too. The over/through hub prop is somewhat strange on an Allison (a small handful of folks run a Hydromotive O/T, but they're kinda rare), as most go with an over-hub prop. Through-hub exhaust props on Allisons are practically non-existent...most aren't built to surface, and will sling an ear.

Weight is the great equalizer with boats...especially fast boats. As with 99.9% of speed claims with supposedly "fast" boats, the heaviest thing you can throw in a boat is a GPS. Not very many will run quite as fast (or even close to) as claimed when a GPS goes in the boat.

Check the trailer well, as those factory BoatMate trailers are closed tube. If the boat has spent it's life away from salt water, it should be fine and BoatMate makes a very fine trailer....certainly one of the best looking trailers around. However, if the trailer has been around salt water, they have been known to rust from the inside out if a pinhole develops.

Value? Prices are crazy as hell on everything right now. I couldn't tell you what anything is worth in this day and time. All I can say is, start high...you can always come down in price.

My last one was an xb2002 with a Mercury 300 drag short shaft with a Titus extended-cone sportmaster. Best I ever got out of it was 108 GPS with a 28p Hoss Triton that was thin as paper...and I was turning about 8800rpm, and I was light with about 4-5 gallons of fuel. It probably had another mph in it, but I didn't have the stones to bump the trim one more time. That boat would absolutely run on a rail.

There has been more than one tall tale told in this thread thus far.

Any other specific questions...feel free to ask. I'll shoot you straight on Allisons. I know them very well.

A pal of mine is about to put his XB2002 up for sale. It's absolutely beautiful, and will scream. 105-106 all day long.

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 02:37 AM

^^ I bet He knows what he’s talking bout

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by hunterbuck
I've owned 5 different Allison boats, all either xb2003's or xb2002's. I've also driven a pile of xs2003's, a couple of ss2000's, a couple of xr2001's, and an xr2002. Loved them all, other than the ss2000's. Those things are a damn handful....fast, but extremely finicky.

I've owned 2 xb2003's. Last one was about 10 years ago. I prefer xb2002's as I don't fish, and they drive better....and faster.

That said, the xb03's will flat out haul the mail. They will also throw your ass in the river if you don't know what you're doing. As someone above said, don't do a throttle chop...when the nose drops, you may turn around in a hurry. Some get frustrated trying to learn to drive them, because they can be difficult to properly balance, and others never get comfortable enough with the trim button to give them what they need to settle down. Set up properly and with seat time, they are really easy to drive, though.

Fastest I ever got either of my xb03's was 101.4 (GPS clocked...don't believe ANY speed claim if it's not GPS), in ideal conditions...cool, low humidity day in the fall. Smoked a cylinder in that 260 that day, as I had my fuel set a smidge too low for the cool, dry conditions. It was fun while it lasted. grin

Now, if that's a 100% stock 150 efi, I have serious doubts that it will push that boat into the low 80's. It simply won't turn enough rpm's to get there. I think the rev limiter is set at either 5600 or 5800 rpm. It can be done, just not with a bone stock 150. I personally know a guy that had a 150 ProMax short shaft with a Brucato ECU (no limiter) that would run mid-80's REAL LIGHT.

The coned lower unit is pretty much a necessity with Allison boats...outside of maybe the XB21's, which I don't know a whole lot about. As someone correctly stated, to get them to "fly", you need to run with the motor high. Most run very well with the propshaft even with the pad. Some will run with the propshaft a little above the pad. Without the low water pickup, you'd run out of water and burn your engine up pretty quickly. That appears to be either a Tooter, Titus, or JC's cone job....all 3 do/did excellent work.

The 4 blade prop will make it slightly easier to handle, but it'll scrub a couple of mph off, too. The over/through hub prop is somewhat strange on an Allison (a small handful of folks run a Hydromotive O/T, but they're kinda rare), as most go with an over-hub prop. Through-hub exhaust props on Allisons are practically non-existent...most aren't built to surface, and will sling an ear.

Weight is the great equalizer with boats...especially fast boats. As with 99.9% of speed claims with supposedly "fast" boats, the heaviest thing you can throw in a boat is a GPS. Not very many will run quite as fast (or even close to) as claimed when a GPS goes in the boat.

Check the trailer well, as those factory BoatMate trailers are closed tube. If the boat has spent it's life away from salt water, it should be fine and BoatMate makes a very fine trailer....certainly one of the best looking trailers around. However, if the trailer has been around salt water, they have been known to rust from the inside out if a pinhole develops.

Value? Prices are crazy as hell on everything right now. I couldn't tell you what anything is worth in this day and time. All I can say is, start high...you can always come down in price.

My last one was an xb2002 with a Mercury 300 drag short shaft with a Titus extended-cone sportmaster. Best I ever got out of it was 108 GPS with a 28p Hoss Triton that was thin as paper...and I was turning about 8800rpm, and I was light with about 4-5 gallons of fuel. It probably had another mph in it, but I didn't have the stones to bump the trim one more time. That boat would absolutely run on a rail.

Any other specific questions...feel free to ask. I'll shoot you straight on Allisons. I know them very well.

A pal of mine is about to put his XB2002 up for sale. It's absolutely beautiful, and will scream. 105-106 all day long.

Pm sent.

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 08:11 PM

Pm sent.

Excellent info above. A GPS does make actual speed easy to determine. We didn't have that luxury, so we used a calculation based on rpm, gear ratio, pitch, and slip to determine true speed. I broke many a heart with that simple calculation. For example, if that 150 is turning 5800, 26 pitch, 2 to 1 gear ratio and only 10% slip (unlikley), then the speed would be about 65. If 1.87 gears, about 69. I'll be looking forward to the numbers you come up with. Have fun playing! I miss the days I had testing and setting up boats.

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 08:17 PM

Who needs to go so fast to catch a fish 🤔

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 09:21 PM

Back in my day, multible teams might know about the same fish. First boat there got to fish them, because the other people would not come in on them. Sadly, it's not like that today.

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 09:50 PM

I'll answer this question the same way I once answered a co-worker of mine who thought he was going to be funny in a big group of people when he asked "how many fish you think you can catch running 100mph?" I simply replied, "at least as many as you can running 50mph."

Re: Allison boats - 07/18/21 09:54 PM

I understand

Re: Allison boats - 07/19/21 04:30 AM

PM’d you as well Hunterbuck
Posted By: inatree

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 03:55 AM

Back many years ago I had 17' Venture rated for 115. I put a 150 on it. Had to put 10 gallon jugs of water in the front hull but nothing ever passed me on the Big G

I had a 19' Venture with a 200 Evinrude on it. That boat was nice and fast. If I remember correctly it ran around 70mph. I really miss that rig.

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 11:02 AM

Klay if you get a boat that runs over 100 mph, call me. I dang sure ain't riding in it, I just want to watch you come by going that fast.

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 02:49 PM

Brought her home this morning. Test run Wednesday. I'm doing a service first. Hasn't been in the lake in 3 years. It's flawless!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 03:00 PM

Yall know why that passenger seat is offset and behind right?

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 03:01 PM

popcorn popcorn popcorn

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by gman

So they can't slap the crap out of you! 😆

I have to move the hot foot. To short to reach it!

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by gman

So when they blow out of the boat going 100 mph the driver can't see their neck break when they hit the water.

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 07:07 PM

That driver's seat will slide forward, klay...in case you didn't already know.

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 07:11 PM

Its so the rider can grab the drivers hair and give it a yank to let him know to slow down! Doubtful the driver could hear his screams!

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 07:42 PM

Yeah, I figured it out. Now if I could see over the dash, I'd have it made. 😄

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 07:57 PM

Yeah, I figured it out. Now if I could see over the dash, I'd have it made. 😄

🤣🤣
Posted By: inatree

Re: Allison boats - 07/25/21 08:13 PM

That's nice
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Allison boats - 07/26/21 01:53 AM

I used to build and race drag boats with my dad. We used a lot of Allison hulls as they were the fastest design going back in the day. They are definitely a smooth water boat. A little wind will turn those things into airplanes if you have the ponies behind it and are driving it right. We built a little 17 foot single cockpit fairing with a blue printed 150 short shaft, tricked out gearing in the lower unit, low water pick up, accelerated trim motor, and a 2 blade bronze off shore racing prop. No steering wheel- pedal steering with locks, standard throttle with trim button. If there was a little head wind the thing would go airborne above 77 mph. With a tail or no wind it would stay in the water and go a little faster( 78-79) I doubt seriously an Allison bass boat of any kind empty with a 150 could be faster than 72-73 mph. Probably more like upper 60s. If you give me the weight of the boat and motor I’ll tell you exactly how fast you could make it go with a 150.
If you wanted to make a rainbow you keep the speed low and trim it to throw a rooster tail over the power lines across the lake. You hardly had any forward speed, but it was cool to watch.

Re: Allison boats - 07/26/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by QDMAV8R
I used to build and race drag boats with my dad. We used a lot of Allison hulls as they were the fastest design going back in the day. They are definitely a smooth water boat. A little wind will turn those things into airplanes if you have the ponies behind it and are driving it right. We built a little 17 foot single cockpit fairing with a blue printed 150 short shaft, low water pick up, accelerated trim motor, and a 2 blade off shore racing prop. No steering wheel- pedal steering with locks, standard throttle with trim button. If there was a little head wind the thing would go airborne above 77 mph. With a tail or no wind it would stay in the water and go a little faster( 78-79) I doubt seriously an Allison bass boat of any kind empty with a 150 could be faster than 72-73 mph. Probably more like upper 60s. If you give me the weight of the boat and motor I’ll tell you exactly how fast you could make it go with a 150.

All due respect sir but I'll have to disagree with you here.. An XB02 is a forgiving hull & VERY capable of going well north of 73Mph with a 150 in the right hands.... Who is your dad sir? I've been racing with OBDA (Outboard Drag Boat Assn) & DSRA (Deep South Racing Assn) since 2009 so I'm sure I've ran across him at the Races..

Re: Allison boats - 07/26/21 11:50 AM

I used to build and race drag boats with my dad. We used a lot of Allison hulls as they were the fastest design going back in the day. They are definitely a smooth water boat. A little wind will turn those things into airplanes if you have the ponies behind it and are driving it right. We built a little 17 foot single cockpit fairing with a blue printed 150 short shaft, low water pick up, accelerated trim motor, and a 2 blade off shore racing prop. No steering wheel- pedal steering with locks, standard throttle with trim button. If there was a little head wind the thing would go airborne above 77 mph. With a tail or no wind it would stay in the water and go a little faster( 78-79) I doubt seriously an Allison bass boat of any kind empty with a 150 could be faster than 72-73 mph. Probably more like upper 60s. If you give me the weight of the boat and motor I’ll tell you exactly how fast you could make it go with a 150.

All due respect sir but I'll have to disagree with you here.. An XB02 is a forgiving hull & VERY capable of going well north of 73Mph with a 150 in the right hands.... Who is your dad sir? I've been racing with OBDA (Outboard Drag Boat Assn) & DSRA (Deep South Racing Assn) since 2009 so I'm sure I've ran across him at the Races..

JJ?

And yes...an xb02 with a 150 in any kind of competent hands will run past 73 mph all day long...and stable as can be. xb02's will flat out run on a rail when set up properly, at any speed.

Re: Allison boats - 07/28/21 12:54 PM

Please notice I said Bass Boat like the OP was asking about…not an Allison hull drag boat or pro stock class drag boat. That’s a little different configuration and weight class. My father was T. M. and very active in the Southern Drag Boat Association during the mid 70s and early 80s. Boat technology has changed considerably since those days, but the laws of physics have not. For every weight and true HP there’s a finite speed that can be obtained. Getting as close as you can to that finite speed means dealing with a lot of little variables to reduce drag and increase lift to the point of minimal sustained control. Of course you drag boat racers know this already, but the everyday bass boat drivers may not be thinking of this fact.

Re: Allison boats - 07/28/21 02:24 PM

Please notice I said Bass Boat like the OP was asking about…not an Allison hull drag boat or pro stock class drag boat. That’s a little different configuration and weight class. My father was T. M. and very active in the Southern Drag Boat Association during the mid 70s and early 80s. Boat technology has changed considerably since those days, but the laws of physics have not. For every weight and true HP there’s a finite speed that can be obtained. Getting as close as you can to that finite speed means dealing with a lot of little variables to reduce drag and increase lift to the point of minimal sustained control. Of course you drag boat racers know this already, but the everyday bass boat drivers may not be thinking of this fact.

Dude...an XB2002 is 100% a bass hull.

From the timeline you're throwing out, you/your dad were racing the old first gen Allison hulls. Allison hasn't built a hull under 20' in nearly 40 years. Darris has introduced new tech into his hulls since the generation you're talking about. I GUARANTEE you that my buddy who still has his XB2002 could bolt on a 150 powerhead with no limiter on it and bust 80-85 all day long. It's just not that hard with the XB2002. In fact, as someone who has owned 3 different XB2002's, I would be ashamed if I couldn't get 80+ out of it with a 150. I GPS'd 94 with a 200 ProMax in one of mine years ago without even tinkering with it. A 225 ProMax bumped near 100.

The 2.5L Mercury engine was a game changer.

Re: Allison boats - 08/03/21 08:41 PM

Dude...an XB2002 is 100% a bass hull.

From the timeline you're throwing out, you/your dad were racing the old first gen Allison hulls. Allison hasn't built a hull under 20' in nearly 40 years. Darris has introduced new tech into his hulls since the generation you're talking about. I GUARANTEE you that my buddy who still has his XB2002 could bolt on a 150 powerhead with no limiter on it and bust 80-85 all day long. It's just not that hard with the XB2002. In fact, as someone who has owned 3 different XB2002's, I would be ashamed if I couldn't get 80+ out of it with a 150. I GPS'd 94 with a 200 ProMax in one of mine years ago without even tinkering with it. A 225 ProMax bumped near 100.

The 2.5L Mercury engine was a game changer.

I think you and I are confusing a stock bass boat and motor a bass hull with something that’s been vastly improved motor wise. The OP clearly has a stock boat and motor with mostly stock a low water pick up and maybe some changed lower unit gearing. As I stated upper 60s and slightly surprising 72-73 mph, which the OP actually got 72. Most of these boats today are running 3-4 AGM or Lithium batteries and all kinds of tournament rigged gear. Several hundreds of pounds of gear that all add up. Sure you can empty the boat, but then it’s not a bass boat is it. I kinda hunched it was somewhere in the 500 pound range of gear and equipment on board. A stock limited 150 would not run faster on that boat no matter who was driving it.

Re: Allison boats - 08/04/21 02:42 AM

I think you and I are confusing a stock bass boat and motor a bass hull with something that’s been vastly improved motor wise. The OP clearly has a stock boat and motor with mostly stock a low water pick up and maybe some changed lower unit gearing. As I stated upper 60s and slightly surprising 72-73 mph, which the OP actually got 72. Most of these boats today are running 3-4 AGM or Lithium batteries and all kinds of tournament rigged gear. Several hundreds of pounds of gear that all add up. Sure you can empty the boat, but then it’s not a bass boat is it. I kinda hunched it was somewhere in the 500 pound range of gear and equipment on board. A stock limited 150 would not run faster on that boat no matter who was driving it.

No confusion on my part at all...only experience from owning several of them. I've been fooling around with these things for a lot of years. I pretty much know what these boats are capable of.

Your exact words from above... "I doubt seriously an Allison bass boat of any kind empty with a 150 could be faster than 72-73 mph. Probably more like upper 60s."
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Allison boats - 08/04/21 03:36 AM

No confusion on my part at all...only experience from owning several of them. I've been fooling around with these things for a lot of years. I pretty much know what these boats are capable of.

Your exact words from above... "I doubt seriously an Allison bass boat of any kind empty with a 150 could be faster than 72-73 mph. Probably more like upper 60s."

QDM had it nailed though. He knows his stuff. He said it wouldn't do anywhere near 83. He was right.

Re: Allison boats - 08/04/21 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake

QDM had it nailed though. He knows his stuff. He said it wouldn't do anywhere near 83. He was right.

Read my first post. I said it as well.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Allison boats - 08/11/21 08:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3YTO1Sde3Q

If you watch, the camera boat, which is a Stroker with a Hydrotec Yamaha was the fastest boat. The Yellow Stroker with a 300 Merc on it was a 109mph gps boat. He passed all the Allison's too. If I was gonna fish, a Stroker would be the boat.

Re: Allison boats - 08/11/21 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw

If you watch, the camera boat, which is a Stroker with a Hydrotec Yamaha was the fastest boat. The Yellow Stroker with a 300 Merc on it was a 109mph gps boat. He passed all the Allison's too. If I was gonna fish, a Stroker would be the boat.

Half those boats didn't even have trolling motors on them.

Re: Allison boats - 08/11/21 08:39 PM

Kurt had Tweety ROLLING. I was there.

Re: Allison boats - 08/11/21 08:41 PM

Doesn't matter. Lose 1-2 mph. We weren't really at the river run to fish. I sure miss those days.

Re: Allison boats - 08/12/21 01:00 AM

Wayne at Hydrotec builds monster Yammy's, at a monster price. I would imagine that thing's putting out close to 350hp. Strokers will flat out run with MONSTER horsepower...there's no denying that.

Pony for pony though...an Allison *will* outrun a Stroker.

You could skip Hydrotec and send $25K or so to Dave Bush in Arizona or Gordon Montague in Florida and have them build you a beast of an Evinrude...400hp+ and walk off and leave everything. There's no replacement for displacement.

But...I still like the lil ole 2.5 Mercury's. Nothing will put out the horsepower or run...straight out of the box...like a 2.5 Mercury.

Re: Allison boats - 08/12/21 01:20 AM

All due respect to kirk, 109 is flat laying it down .. However just about any xb02 made (in the right hands) will run 109 (& then some) with a bone stock 2.5 Merc 280/300 drag.. It doesnt take a highly modded motor to push an xb02 to 109.. Like hunter buck said, I'll take the allison when its HP for HP or on race day...

Re: Allison boats - 08/12/21 01:45 AM

This one i had was built by Hydrotec. I can't remember now what the guy had spent on it, but it was a lot.

By the way, the Allison has already sold and lived to tell about it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Allison boats - 08/12/21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by eclipse829

Doesn't matter. Lose 1-2 mph. We weren't really at the river run to fish. I sure miss those days.

Scott Cunningham had a Stroker that would hit low high 80s/low 90s TX loaded with 2 high school boys in it. Mine Son was one of them.

The yellow/blue Stroker that is on Neely now is a fast boat but he cannot drive it. The purple Stroker in LA is a 100+ mph boat but not TX loaded.

There used to be a Stroker on Lake Lanier called Top Gun. It was a 100+ boat with a 3.2 Merc. He put it up for sale a couple years back and got cold feet and took it off the market.

All this said, day in and day out an Allison will out run a Stroker if both are set up just to run.

Re: Allison boats - 08/12/21 02:31 PM

A lot of opinion here. Anybody got a stroker vs. allison heads up race video with the same engine or close?
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Allison boats - 08/12/21 03:21 PM

This has been an interesting thread

Re: Allison boats - 08/13/21 01:25 AM

I've always been a Bullet guy. I've owned 7 of them with all sorts of powerplants. None of them wanted any part of an xb2002 with anything over 225hp. I sure miss the Jasper River Runs.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM