Aldeer.com

AL Trout fishing

Posted By: danangel

AL Trout fishing - 03/01/09 04:03 PM

I'm a trout fishin fool originally from up north. I live in Calhoune County. Can someone point me to the closest trout area. I have checked on the the outdoor forums and there are a couple listed...mostly 2 to 4 hours away. Anything mentioned closer than that would be great.
Posted By: Bronco 74

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/01/09 04:48 PM

Below Smith Dam...
Posted By: Clem

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/01/09 05:10 PM

Below the Lewis Smith Dam, the state stocks trout.

Water level can rise dangerously high pretty rapidly, and without warning (unless bells-siren have been added at the dam). There is a fly shop -- Riverside Fly -- you may be able to get better info from.

www.riversideflyshop.com/

Rainbows are stocked in a portion of a state-run public lake here in Huntsville. For a trouthead like yourself that probably would be akin to fishing in a bathtub.

If you're in Calhoun County, your best bet for wild (and some stockers) probably would be in northeast Georgia.
Posted By: jabuck63

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/03/09 01:29 AM

I fish below Smith Lake dam alot. Found a little secret by accident, and ended up catching a limit of trout averaging over 2.5 lbs . Thats big here. Let me know ahead of time and I will meet u there and show you the areas I catch fish. Be careful, if you throw small jigs or spoons, you could very well get your rod ripped out of your hands by a big hybrid stripe. The world record was caught there by a guy using a crappie jig.
Posted By: danangel

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/07/09 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have done quite a bit of trout fishing in Ga. There are several spots that are worth noting. Cochran Shoals right off of I-285 on the Powers Ferry exit offers really good wading opportunities. I'm sure I will try my luck at some crappie and striper fishing since that seems to be more common in Calhoune County.
Posted By: Bronco 74

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/07/09 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jabuck63:
Be careful, if you throw small jigs or spoons, you could very well get your rod ripped out of your hands by a big hybrid stripe. The world record was caught there by a guy using a crappie jig.
Wrong... The world record was caught at Greers Ferry in Arkansas in 1997...
Posted By: Bamakiller

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/08/09 12:08 PM

Hey if you wanna catch some real trout let me take you on the white river in arkansas my dad lives in cotter on the river and It don't get any better.
Posted By: Majordawg

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/18/09 10:23 PM

cool
Posted By: Justin Allen

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/20/09 11:05 PM

Someone give me some info on the trout fishing below Lewis smith dam. I am new to this area and had no idea there was anything like that around. Where is it located, what body of water is it, Smith Lake?
Posted By: jabuck63

Re: AL Trout fishing - 03/21/09 12:49 AM

Hey man I am in Cullman too PM me and i will fill you in on trout fishing at Smith
© 2024 ALDEER.COM