Aldeer.com

Best place to destroy a lower unit.

Posted By: perchjerker

Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 02:45 PM

The only one I knocked off was on Lake Conroe outside a marina. I was following a huge house boat and was in open water when I hit a sub surface tree top. I figured the houseboat had pushed a couple of foot of water out. I had run there many times before.
There is a huge stump in the mouth of a creek up river on Eufaula. When the water is down you can see old props and lower units next to it. One prop still had the drive shaft. I can't remember the name but it's on left going up and is narrow going in and opens up.
The area above Weiss dam, on Neely Henry. It is nothing but sub surface boulders and rock piles. I've seen and heard several destroyed there. What you got?
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 02:46 PM

Lay lake
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Lay lake

x2
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 03:02 PM

There is a creek in the back of River Bend that is FULL of stumps. It has quite the collection of props and fiberglass chunks. If the water is normal level and you stay on plain then no worries but I see guys that do not fish there a lot when the water is down come through half throttle and Bammm...their motor flips up.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 03:07 PM

Weiss is notorious for being a lower unit destroyer. Also, just as bad is Ross Barnett reservoir in Ridgeland, MS. A large majority of the rez is shallow with stumps everywhere just beneath the surface. What made it even worse is years ago the locals drove a long piece of rebar down in a large portion of the stumps. Now all the rebar is laid down and people find it all the time with their lower unit. I also used to hear of folks ruining their fiberglass with the rebar as well. Big gashes and holes. Theyre all just hanging out there like a spear.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 03:19 PM

Heres a couple articles about how they tried to clean some of the rebar out in 2019. They said they removed thousands of pieces, but I can assure you they just scratched the surface. They also talk about the stumps.

https://www.northsidesun.com/front-...officials-remove-1000s-pieces-rebar-lake

https://www.wlbt.com/2019/04/02/rebar-being-removed-ross-barnett-reservoir
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 03:41 PM

LAY and warrior are two great choices.. Logan in the winter as well
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 03:52 PM

Logan...
Posted By: William

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 05:39 PM

Lay for sure.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 05:58 PM

Upper Logan in the Winter. Up around Riverside north to the old lock.
Or maybe going up Choccoloco creek before you get to the shoals.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 06:20 PM

Max that is not a creek, it is a collection of oxbows. I've been fishing there since 73.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 06:27 PM

JBl, my little Brother jumped out of a ski boat to retrieve the ski's for a girl on a lake around Houston. When he went under a piece of rebar went into his head under his chin and knocked out two teeth. He almost drown before he could get off of it and return to the surface. Good thing he didn't dive.i
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 06:27 PM

watched a fella knock the lower unit clean off right in front of Howtons Camp one day. Can happen anywhere there are stumps/logs
Posted By: 1955Retiree

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 06:52 PM

Moccasin gap below Lake Jordan dam. Need jet boat to go up in there. Dozens have tried to no avail.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by perchjerker
JBl, my little Brother jumped out of a ski boat to retrieve the ski's for a girl on a lake around Houston. When he went under a piece of rebar went into his head under his chin and knocked out two teeth. He almost drown before he could get off of it and return to the surface. Good thing he didn't dive.i

Thats horrible. Hurts me just thinking about it. Rebar just doesn't belong in a lake.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
watched a fella knock the lower unit clean off right in front of Howtons Camp one day. Can happen anywhere there are stumps/logs

It can sure enough happen anywhere. A little while after Nashville and the surrounding areas had all that flooding back in n 2010, a cousin of mine was going down the Cumberland river and hit a submerged log in his stratos. Not sure the speed, but he was moving on pretty good. It ripped the motor clean off the transom and it somehow flipped it in the boat with him. This was an 18' with a 115. He had some broken bones, but walked away ok other than that.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1955Retiree
Moccasin gap below Lake Jordan dam. Need jet boat to go up in there. Dozens have tried to no avail.

List need a flood
Posted By: AC870

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 08:15 PM

I was gonna say Weiss.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 08:56 PM

I did one in at Brushy Creek. Freaking 100 yards from the bank and all of a sudden 2 feet of water and stumps,no warning at all.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1955Retiree

I used to see someone with a riverpro jet boat go up and down that stretch during the summer. Brings back some good memories. Used to kayak that stretch with some friends.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 09:30 PM

I haven't been to some of the more notorious lakes, just heard the stories. I'm told Seminole is really bad.

Only place I've ever SEEN it happen with my own eyes is Logan Martin, but I don't generally consider it bad. There's a place going into Choccolocco we call "The Shortcut", at full pool you can run through it on plane, but the right side has a looooong shallow bar/point that you have to stay left of. Saw a boat hit it one morning, I don't know what damage it did but it shut the motor completely off.... we could tell from a distance nobody was hurt, and very quickly another boat pulled up to them, so we just carried on fishing. I had JUST said to my friend, "That boat looks way too far right, hope they don't hit that point." And they did.

Lay gives me fear, but I "generally" know where the timber is and just avoid it. Strange enough, lots of Wedowee is 80+ feet deep and there'll be 10,000 treetops about 12"-18" below the surface.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 09:47 PM

You need to know where you are going at Lake Talquin

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 10:01 PM

I've been on Talquin several times.Seminole has clearly marked boat lanes. It's the locals running out of them that find the stumps.
In Mobile it's the gas pipeline that crosses the Delta. I saw a guy with a new rig one morning and that afternoon , his New Evinrude was laying on his rear deck. With the tides new logs float in and out every day.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 11:29 PM

Florida...
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/09/20 11:51 PM

I'm going with Weiss or pickwick above the bridge
Posted By: Spotchaser8

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 12:54 AM

Lay
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 02:09 AM

Wheeler........The left side of Hwy 31 going south in to Decatur. Seems like Roland Martin tore a lower unit off or maybe even the transom out of his boat and lost a lot of tackle some years ago right there.
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 02:36 AM

Spring creek on Seminole. Below Mitchell dam.
Posted By: gman

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
Wheeler........The left side of Hwy 31 going south in to Decatur. Seems like Roland Martin tore a lower unit off or maybe even the transom out of his boat and lost a lot of tackle some years ago right there.
I think roland hit a log on river channel. Anyone who “runs” in east lake, east side of 31, is taking a huge risk with their motor!
Posted By: blade

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 04:16 AM

[quote=perchjerker]I've been on Talquin several times.Seminole has clearly marked boat lanes. It's the locals running out of them that find the stumps.
In Mobile it's the gas pipeline that crosses the Delta. I saw a guy with a new rig one morning and that afternoon , his New Evinrude was laying on his rear deck. With the tides new logs float in and out every day.[/quote

Perch, isn’t that where Shaw Grigsby lost a unit?
Posted By: Clem

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 04:49 AM

The bend in 13 Pole Ditch on Wheeler has a nice stump on the corner that'll bite you if you don't go wide enough.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

I was gonna say Weiss.

Yeah, you can get in trouble in a hurry on Weiss.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 02:19 PM

Blade, Shaw was in Briar. There is a deadhead about 1/2 way up on left(its probably moved). On high tide it's only about an inche above the surface. I know this because I hit it too, It slung me and a buddy out. luckily I saw it just before and it slid under the hull and lifted it out of the water. when I surfaces I swam into the boat and hit the yammy. It cranked and I drove it up on the bank. Things like that happen in a flash. Since i was only gonna move a 100 yds, neither of us put our PFD's on. Never again ! When the motor cranks it goes on.

When the paper company was logging the delta, it was full of deadheads. They'd pile logs on banks and high waters would wash them off.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 03:16 PM

this post made me think of the guy fishing the bassmasters out of montgomery that ran up moccasin gap to jordan dam water went low and he completely destoyed a $75k boat there is a video of it on youtube
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 05:47 PM

Max that is not a creek, it is a collection of oxbows. I've been fishing there since 73.

So I take it you were throwing wooden frogs back then? rofl
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 06:17 PM

My first time out on Guntersville, I quickly learned why that little green buoy was sitting in the water over by Guntersville Marina. $400 repair job.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 07:25 PM

Put your boat in at Horseshoe Bend and then compare it to every other place listed here. smile
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 07:29 PM

Reelfoot Lake, TN
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 07:38 PM

There used to be (may still be there) a stump at the mouth of Boatyard Lake in Baldwin County, right before you entered the slough to go out into the old river, that I would about guarantee has destroyed more props and lower units than any single stump in Alabama.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 08:56 PM

Wheeler dam trailrace.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/10/20 09:04 PM

The whole river is like this for about 2 miles until you get past wetumpka Im sure those guys in the flat bottom jon were laughing their asses off at this idiot. going more than 500 yards past the bridge in wetumpka is dangerous this idiot went nearly 2 miles all the way to the dam up stuff you normally see kayaks going down
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Reelfoot Lake, TN

Posted By: James

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 05:37 AM

Aligator Slough
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 11:46 AM

Buzard Roost at Millers Ferry would take one off in a heartbeat if you went in it under power. I knocked a Helix Mega transducer off in there this spring just putting around.
Posted By: Luxfisher

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 12:05 PM

Alicevile & Columbus on tombigbee has took several over the years.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 04:15 PM

If ya'll are like me, I know you've been fishing a flooded stump field and seen water skiers run thru one repeatedly without hitting anything. I know their boat sits deeper than mine and I'd be constantly be using my trolling motor on high to get over or off a stump. They seem to think anyplace that is open is ok to ski, I don't think I've ever seen one with a depthfinder either.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 04:36 PM

Lake seminole or talquin. Seminole does have marked runs but since hurricane Michael there is quite a bit of stuff sticking up in the channel. A couple years ago I busted the drive shaft in half on my 250 pro xs on a stump about 3 ft around right in the middle of a run leading into the boat ramp.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Madmax0818

So I take it you were throwing wooden frogs back then? rofl

Perch helped Izaak Walton compile The Compleat Angler in 1676. laugh
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 04:55 PM

Globe creek and Stiggins lake have a couple snags each that will get you if you don’t know about em.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 05:05 PM

It's been a long time since I was in Globe.
Fl I don't doubt you hit something, but I doubt it was a stump. Stumps don't move ! It was probably the top of a tree that was blown out during the storm. I spend most of my time on the Hooch. That backwater above the dam across from Sneads.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 07:02 PM

It's been a long time since I was in Globe.
Fl I don't doubt you hit something, but I doubt it was a stump. Stumps don't move ! It was probably the top of a tree that was blown out during the storm. I spend most of my time on the Hooch. That backwater above the dam across from Sneads.

I thought the same thing til I went back with my side imaging and found it. I also went back at a later date when the lake was down and really clear and could see it on the bottom along with a bunch of scars on the top of it from me and everyone else that have hit it. The exact location was in the run going into the first bridge on river road right in front of the campground at three rivers state park.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 07:28 PM

Sorry, I got the impression you were talking about something that got blown in.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/11/20 10:05 PM

Sorry, I got the impression you were talking about something that got blown in.

No problem. It is definently pretty dangerous out there right now because a friend of mine that fishes the lake alot knocked a 250 Yamaha SHO clean off of his boat a couple weeks ago and he got thrown out when it jack knifed but was ok other than being sore for a few days.
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/12/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Luxfisher
Alicevile & Columbus on tombigbee has took several over the years.

Dead river slough I think is the name of one on aliceville lake was rough. Running up the sipsey down can get you also
Posted By: Luxfisher

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/12/20 02:34 AM

Yeah dead river & sipsey are both bad. they are on Gainesville. you are probably thinking about rivermont on Alicevile
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/12/20 10:12 PM

Weiss.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/13/20 12:54 AM

I think the correct answer is, anywhere you find water. Even on the lower end of Guntersville, South Sauty and south, there are lots of places you can go from 20+ FOW to just a few FOW within about 2 boat widths. Not to mention the opportunity to run over a big ol floating log smack dab in the middle of the channel.
Posted By: Super Dave

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/13/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
this post made me think of the guy fishing the bassmasters out of montgomery that ran up moccasin gap to jordan dam water went low and he completely destoyed a $75k boat there is a video of it on youtube

Watched the bassmaster's video. That was insane. I don't think I would of tried it with a boat someone else was paying for, but man they were killing the huge spots. Guess the risk paid off to the tune of 100K.

David

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/14/20 12:44 PM

That Pro owned his boat. Even if it was memo billed, he still has to pay for it. If anyone owned it , I'd say it was his insurance company. Glass doesn't like rocks.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/14/20 04:46 PM

I once saw a full sheet of 3/4 plywood in the Warrior River. It was semi floating with 1/2" or less of water washing over it. It was impossible to see except when right on top of it. That thing would slice a lower unit off.

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/15/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I think the correct answer is, anywhere you find water.

It can happen anywhere no doubt
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/16/20 03:16 AM

Buzzards Roost
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Best place to destroy a lower unit. - 01/16/20 04:08 AM

I haven't fished all over, just a few local lakes mainly, but I know of lower unit rippers all over Weiss and a few on Guntersville. Below Neely Henry there are rock piles you don't want to encounter either. I eased up to a spot in Spring Creek on Weiss a few years ago where there was an old set of concrete steps barely submerged. All along the top was scratches and little chunks missing from the edges. In the water beside and nearby it was parts of at least 3 lower units and several pieces of aluminum props and skegs. About a half mile from there I hit a stump within the channel markers on the main creek channel. I think it was on the same day. On Guntersville in the upper end of Town Creek and South Sauty Creek there are assorted stumps and rocks. A friend had his powerhead laying up in the boat with him a few years ago in Town Creek from finding one of the stumps.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM