Aldeer.com

Spoons and bass

Posted By: Clem

Spoons and bass - 05/29/19 09:07 PM

Yesterday evening I was at a small pond and bass were hitting shad. I tied on a spoon that was heavier than I would've normally thrown in a shallow-ish pond with vegetation, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Danced it on top and had a bass knock the everlovin' shinola out of it. Reminded me of fishing on Ouachita about 20 years ago with a guide who was vertical jigging, despite bass hitting shad all around us. I finally made a long cast and heard him chuckle. After catching a couple of bass dancing that small Hopkins spoon through the shad and bass, he wasn't laughing.

Anyone else throw spoons? I was smart enough yesterday to find a swivel in my catch-all box and add it to the split ring on the spoon so the line wouldn't get as twisted as Perch's brain. laugh
Posted By: hallb

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/29/19 09:53 PM

What kind/color of spoon? I use the gold Johnson Silver Minnow a lot down here for redfish. Never have thrown it for bass in the pond, but I have a bunch of them so may have to carry them up and give it a try.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/29/19 10:29 PM

Johnson Silver Minnow used to be one of my favorite lures. The gold one would catch em too.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 12:41 AM

A split ring will not stop line twist. A ballbearing swivel will.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by perchjerker

Read the last sentence again, you missed something.
Posted By: klay

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 01:40 AM

I jig a giant spoon during the summer. I may try throwing one. The ones a jig with are 10 to 12 inches.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 01:47 AM

I love spoons and throw them alot. I buy them in bulk and currently have over 100 of them in all kinds of different styles, sizes, weights for different situations.

I've caught all kinds of species on them. I'd say just about anything that swims will hit one. There are days when I am confident no other bait will out fish them if the situation is right.

Although I cant fish them alot because of the cost (I lose alot fishing in current), one of my all time favorites is the pet spoon by luhr Jensen. They have an an awesome action and finish. The way they dart through the water is second to none and they produce a lot of flash for their surface area.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by klay
I jig a giant spoon during the summer. I may try throwing one. The ones a jig with are 10 to 12 inches.

I bought one of those 12"ers last year, but haven't used it yet
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 02:09 AM

Catch bass on a weedless gold Johnson spoon in Louisiana all the time as a byproduct of fishing for redfish.

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by hallb
What kind/color of spoon? I use the gold Johnson Silver Minnow a lot down here for redfish. Never have thrown it for bass in the pond, but I have a bunch of them so may have to carry them up and give it a try.

I don't even know the brand. It's about 5 inches long, silver and at least 3/4 ounce.

I have some older hammered Hopkins style spoons in gold and silver that were my wife's grandfather's, so they're at least 50-60 years old. Also have some gold and silver Johnson spoons I've used for redfish.

Originally Posted by perchjerker

I added a SPRO bearing swivel to the split ring. No twist at all. Chubby Checker would be upset.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 02:40 AM

Ive spent more time throwin them Than verticle jiggin a spoon....watched people do it...not for me.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 02:51 AM

Ive caught alot of fish with a jigging spoon around february. Alot.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 03:47 AM

I know a guy who ledge fishes with them and does well. He lets it hit bottom. Jerks it. Repeats. He buys in bulk and says you will lose spoons. He’s just using the 3/4 Oz CC spoon.
My limited experience bass fishing with spoons was one October when I got into em chasing Shad in a cove. If the action slowed down on Trap or squarebill, you could throw the CC spoon and fire em back up.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Spoons and bass - 05/30/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by AC870

I know a guy who ledge fishes with them and does well. He lets it hit bottom. Jerks it. Repeats. He buys in bulk and says you will lose spoons. He’s just using the 3/4 Oz CC spoon.
My limited experience bass fishing with spoons was one October when I got into em chasing Shad in a cove. If the action slowed down on Trap or squarebill, you could throw the CC spoon and fire em back up.

I know this is mostly just from my lack of knowledge and understanding, but I am convinced the CC spoon is my best lure. I hardly ever fish, but I've caught plenty of bass on that, and it's great for surf fishing too!
Posted By: .308

Re: Spoons and bass - 06/30/19 09:32 AM

What line to use with a spoon?t I was watching the Hackney video's, he uses #20-#25 floro. I wonder if I could get away with using braid? I typically wont throw a $10 lure on a line that breaks easily.

Re: Spoons and bass - 06/30/19 03:27 PM

Where are you fishing for bass that 20- and 25-pound fluoro would break easily?

You could fish braid.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Spoons and bass - 06/30/19 09:29 PM

Anybody use the lead spoons? I know several guys that jig them in creek mouths and around bridges. They are pretty fun in deep water.
Posted By: .308

Re: Spoons and bass - 06/30/19 09:54 PM

Clem I was thinking the edge of standing timber on a river ledge. There are miles of that at Wedowee.
Posted By: Waldo

Re: Spoons and bass - 06/30/19 10:43 PM

If you use quality flourocarbon like Sunline you won't break it.

Use a little lighter wire hook and it will bend out on stumps but usually the weight of the spoon will allow it to free itself.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/01/19 01:35 AM

I fish 20 floro all the time at guntersville everybody I know does to far as spoons I've saw a few pros catch sum on spoons I personally have never had any luck with em ledge fishing or anywhere else .I'm sure u could pop one occasionally just as it being sumthing diffrent just my 2 cents
Posted By: Acorn

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/01/19 12:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-qqT6APZE
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/02/19 04:32 PM

[Linked Image]

these were all caught on 1/4oz & 1/2 oz johnson splinter casting spoons about 2 weekends ago
Posted By: Be_Cam

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/02/19 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by .308
Clem I was thinking the edge of standing timber on a river ledge. There are miles of that at Wedowee.

Have used them a fair bit in the past. When the fish school up in the mouths of creeks and also on points with structure. 20 lb Floro will work fine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/02/19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by klay

LOL..me too!

Big Ole Ben Parker spoons for big ole Bass...striped Bass. I love jigging big spoons thru a school.

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/02/19 08:58 PM

Kind of interesting: Matt Arey says he fishes spoons in shallower water and around docks and shade. Never thought about that before.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/fishing/bass-fishing-tips-how-to-fish-a-flutter-spoon-in-summer
Posted By: top cat

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/02/19 09:09 PM

I've used them on occasion. Florida mostly. Used to get out on the main river channels on the Big G in the hot summer months and catch a few. Also used to take folks and find big dumb and let them pull one up. A 10-15lb+ puts up a good fight.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/02/19 10:12 PM

Absolutely LOVE fishing with a spoon. I like to vertically jig it through schools of fish while watching the fish finder. It's pretty much a guaranteed bite when you find active schools
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/03/19 01:52 AM

Never done any vertical jigging with a spoon but this thread reminded me of a story. I remember fishing at this old cypress pond down in Packers Bend. Beatiful pond. Black water, cypress trees, logs, lily pads and a patches of grass. Not the place I would have ever throught about using a spoon however. Well me and few friends are fishing there one day and this kid walks up that we don't know. (many people fished this place)

He had and old zebco 202 and was casting one of these type of spoons.

[Linked Image]

So help me, he made a total of 12 casts. He caught 11 bass and one broke his line on the 12th cast. Must have been the only lure he had because after that he pulled his stringer of fish out of the water and back up the hill he went. LOL! I went straight home and bought one. I have had one in my tackle box ever since.
Posted By: crocker

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/03/19 07:48 PM

Cra
Originally Posted by Todd1700
Never done any vertical jigging with a spoon but this thread reminded me of a story. I remember fishing at this old cypress pond down in Packers Bend. Beatiful pond. Black water, cypress trees, logs, lily pads and a patches of grass. Not the place I would have ever throught about using a spoon however. Well me and few friends are fishing there one day and this kid walks up that we don't know. (many people fished this place)

He had and old zebco 202 and was casting one of these type of spoons.

[Linked Image]

So help me, he made a total of 12 casts. He caught 11 bass and one broke his line on the 12th cast. Must have been the only lure he had because after that he pulled his stringer of fish out of the water and back up the hill he went. LOL! I went straight home and bought one. I have had one in my tackle box ever since.

Crazy you mentioned this. My son was fishing with some friends yesterday evening and the very same thing you just mentioned with the very same bait. Only he caught 4 in 4 cast and lost the bait on the 5th.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/04/19 03:44 PM

those are red devils. great spoons
Posted By: slick_trick

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/10/19 04:23 AM

I’ve caught giants on Pickwick with the big Nichols spoon. 8’ rod and 20lb floro. Like mentioned before when I get snagged I can usually get on the other side of it and get it back, the weight of it helps shake it free. I’ve also caught good ones on the little small castmasters when they are eating small bait.
Starting in May, I’ve got that big spoon tied on all the time. actually had a first this year, caught a 4.5lb brown fish on it. I think that’s the only smallmouth I’ve ever caught offshore with that big spoon.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/14/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by quailman
Johnson Silver Minnow used to be one of my favorite lures. The gold one would catch em too.

I grew up fishing the silver minnow with a white skirt in any shallow water with cover. It will go through most anything without getting hung up, and will outfish a spinner bait in many situations. It's also a great lure to give a beginner; really hard for them to get it hung.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/15/19 01:03 AM

Always loved a Daredevil Imp. Chrome

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/15/19 02:59 AM

In case anyone's interested, Dixie Jet Lures is back in business with made-in-America flutter and slab spoons built from the original designs.

https://www.dixiejetlures.com/
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/15/19 04:47 AM

Caught a lot of trout in Montana and California with those red and white spoons.

Re: Spoons and bass - 07/15/19 05:10 PM

When I went to Quetico preserve in Canada in '86, we made sure to pack some Little Cleo, Dardevele red/white and Eppinger Red Eye Wiggler spoons. And swivels. When we were paddling across lakes we'd troll at least one spoon for lakers and walleye. Caught quite a few doing that.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM