Aldeer.com

Boat Purchase

Posted By: J.R.

Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 01:07 PM

I'm hoping to get back in the boat market this fall. I haven't been serious about fishing in probably 20 years and a whole lot has changed. I don't plan on getting into tournaments or going 80mph, but I don't want anything too small or underpowered either. I'm really trying to gather as much information as possible and reduce the learning curve. My budget is probably going to top out around 25k. Would y'all focus on used glass boats, new aluminum, or used aluminum with super duper electronics? I would like to fish 2 people comfortably and travel up to 50mph. Thanks.

JR
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 01:17 PM

New 18-19 ft alluminum
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 01:21 PM

Those new bass trackers 19ft with a 150 ride and drive great. priced somewhere in that area your looking in.
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 01:35 PM

I bought a lowe aluminum about a year ago. 17'8 but its very wide and a great boat to fish out of. Its only got a 60hp motor, but will run in the low 30s
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 01:52 PM

Personally, if I had that disposable amount, I would look for late 1990s/Early 2000s Stroker or BassCat. I would prefer the Stroker though. grin
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 01:54 PM

If I had that kind of budget, I'd be looking hard at a Ranger Aluminum
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
If I had that kind of budget, I'd be looking hard at a Ranger Aluminum

x2 that will be my next purchase once we outgrow the LOWE
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 02:24 PM

Alluminum, or I would look at center consoles. They are very versatile whether catching bass or redfish.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 07:54 PM

Used center console with a shallow draft or a welded aluminum.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by toothdoc
Alluminum, or I would look at center consoles. They are very versatile whether catching bass or redfish.

I looked at some nice center console aluminum boats. Excel brand. Almost bought one
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 08:51 PM

19 ft Express with a 150.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/10/18 10:54 PM

You can buy a lot of boat for $25k.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

A hell of a lot!!
Posted By: klay

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 01:11 AM

Here's my advice. Everyone has opinions. Everyone is different. I have driven, rode, and fished in almost every boat made (at least the major companies). Personally, I would much rather have a fiberglass boat. Aluminum boats are fun from time to time, but even the biggest ones aren't comparable to fiberglass (my opinion). The only way to decide is to try out different ones and decide what fits you.

Now a few more solid "foods for thought". I buy and sell boats, around 25 a year, so this is my experience. Anything new will lose ridiculous amount of value. I know it's nice to buy new and have a warranty, but if you aren't going to be in it daily, is it worth it?

First: early 2000s model fiberglass. If you watch and are quick to call, you can find a nice 19 or 20' for any where from $8k to $15k depending on brand. The benefit to this is, of you keep it in good shape, this boat will be worth within a few thousand of that in ten years.

Second: you can find an 18' fiberglass with a 150 from an 05 all the way up to around a 2010 model for around 15 to 18k.

Third: You can find nice Bass Tracker 175 boats all the way up to 2010 models for as low as 8k if you are patient. Try to at least get a 190 . They're a little more but hold value better. I've sold some that still had warranty for less than 12,000. Other aluminum boat companies make better boats but their price reflects it.

In my opinion, what you are describing, buying new would be wasted money. But it is yours and I would be dang proud to have a new boat. only problem is that if a year from now, if you decide you aren't using it, you've lost several thousand and its hard to sell. The reason for the hard sell is that most people have to finance. They can finance that new boat for 12 years. Buying your 2 year old boat, most places only finance around 5 years. So, even if yours is 6,000 less than new, this day in time most will say, "payments are cheaper on a new one". Then in two years they are in the same boat. (Pun intended)

Research and do what makes you happy.

Good luck.

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 01:43 AM

Pssssh....Klay knows not what he speaketh grin

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by IDOT
Pssssh....Klay knows not what he speaketh grin

You're probably right. Most of the time I would even question me.

Just saying, this could be had for under his budget. whistle

[Linked Image]free upload image

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 02:07 AM

That's a nice freakin boat right there thumbup
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 02:10 AM

That was my first thought too!
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 02:10 AM

I'd even sell my fully customized, fully restored Xpress for $25K. Lord knows I've probably got that much in it.
Posted By: CD

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 02:32 AM

I’ve got an 18 foot SeaArk and the only thing I don’t like about aluminum is fishing in the wind. My boat doesn’t draft much water, which is nice in a way because you can get real shallow if you want to, but it sits up and catches a lot of wind and you’ve got to constantly stay on the trolling motor or you’ll get blown all over the lake. I’m thinking real hard about going to a glass boat, especially since my son’s HS is starting a fishing team.

klay, be sure to post your boats here or PM me if you find something that’s been parked in the garage more than it’s been to the lake. If I were to buy, I’d be looking at early to mid 2000’s models.
Posted By: .308

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 10:51 AM

I need an 18-19' with a 150 myself. My problem is my life is full of needs & the boat just keeps getting pushed back.

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 11:53 AM

Guys, I really appreciate all of the opinions and feedback. I knew I would get some good advice based on other people's experiences. Really trying to prevent "buyers remorse". Thanks.

JR
Posted By: Acorn

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/11/18 02:53 PM

Good thing about a good used boat is that buyers remorse is much cheaper
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/12/18 04:59 PM

Let us know what you decide!
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/12/18 05:14 PM

I like aluminum the best. I would never own a glass boat but thats just me.
Posted By: Farmer Brown

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/17/18 03:56 AM

I have a old Skeeter. It is a 1987 model with a 80 Merc. It runs 32 mph, with three men in it. I gave $3500 for it with a $450 depth finder, $250 trolling motor, and a new onboard charging system from Minn Kota. It still looks really good and has the modern hull design. Don't let the glitter get your money.

Re: Boat Purchase - 05/17/18 11:14 AM

“Buyer’s Remorse” would be a good name for a yacht.

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/08/18 12:06 AM

Well, after quite a bit of tire kicking and hand wringing, I pulled the trigger. 2017 Aluminum Ranger 18'8". 115hp yammy.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/08/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by J.R.
Well, after quite a bit of tire kicking and hand wringing, I pulled the trigger. 2017 Aluminum Ranger 18'8". 115hp yammy.

You've been on here plenty long enough to know you can't make a post like this without a picture!
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/08/18 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by J.R.

Sweet ride! Congrats!

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/08/18 04:05 AM

Picture! Picture!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/10/18 09:27 PM

Yea! Lets see a picture!
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/10/18 11:30 PM

Picture! Picture!
Posted By: JDawg

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/11/18 07:01 PM

I'm kind of kicking around buying a boat myself and I have been trying to read up on aluminum vs glass. You guys that have the aluminum, are yall big guys? I haven't been in any of the newer aluminum boats. I am pretty meaty and was wondering how these aluminums do for big boys walking around in them. I have been with my brother in his glass and its not too bad.

Re: Boat Purchase - 08/11/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by JDawg
I'm kind of kicking around buying a boat myself and I have been trying to read up on aluminum vs glass. You guys that have the aluminum, are yall big guys? I haven't been in any of the newer aluminum boats. I am pretty meaty and was wondering how these aluminums do for big boys walking around in them. I have been with my brother in his glass and its not too bad.

The bass trackers move a lot. I haven't been in a ranger aluminum, but I have a Triton aluminum boat right now. It's 18'8" long. I'm not sure on the width, but it's twice as stable as a tracker boat is. It hardly moves when your walking around on it. I sell boats, so I'm not biased. I sell a lot of bass trackers , but these heavier top name boats are way more stable.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM