Aldeer.com

Self inflating PFD.

Posted By: perchjerker

Self inflating PFD. - 08/25/17 12:06 AM

Check this out. Guy's didn't he was in trouble. This is why mine is manual. That was a HOBIE yak he flipped too. Looks like it's a 10' too small for a grown man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY5kX6v4wIs
Posted By: Rondel

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/25/17 04:02 AM

Good thing is that he is not alone.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/25/17 08:33 AM

I have manual inflate vest and belt style. I wear the inflatable but also usually carry a traditional PFD on the kayak that is easy to access.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/25/17 10:31 AM

That's why I ain't fishing out of a yak. I'm too old and fat for that. I would have loved to have been out there in my Sea Ark though, on those fish.
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/25/17 04:28 PM

The guy never got deep enough to set it off. Mine is off water pressure, but some deploy on contact with water.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/25/17 06:02 PM

Mine is a manual. Thing I've noticed since I got it is I actually wear my life jacket all the time now because it's comfortable. Full size jackets still kept in the boat.

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/25/17 06:22 PM

Whack you can bet when he flipped the yak he was completely underwater. He looked like a drown rat too.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/28/17 11:50 AM

life vest aside, that looks like someone who has not spend nearly enough time practicing getting back on a kayak that has flipped.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/28/17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
That's why I ain't fishing out of a yak. I'm too old and fat for that. I would have loved to have been out there in my Sea Ark though, on those fish.

laugh thumbup
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/28/17 01:27 PM

Mine has a hair trigger. I've been in a tournament on G in 25mph winds low 20s temp and it go off because I smacked a wave sideways and got drenched. I always keep a mustang replacement and a pro series old triton PFD
Posted By: BassCat

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/28/17 04:07 PM

In case you didn't know, the self inflatable jackets are not legal unless you are wearing them at all times because they say "not a valid flotation device unless wearing" or something to that effect. You are allowed to not be wearing them as long as you have the vest type in your boat. This is coming directly from the Marine Police.

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/28/17 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BassCat
In case you didn't know, the self inflatable jackets are not legal unless you are wearing them at all times because they say "not a valid flotation device unless wearing" or something to that effect. You are allowed to not be wearing them as long as you have the vest type in your boat. This is coming directly from the Marine Police.

If you are referring to the manual inflation type, you are correct.

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/29/17 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Jpipererp

Originally Posted By: BassCat

If you are referring to the manual inflation type, you are correct.

The Marine Police said "self inflating with CO2 cartridges" he was not just referring to manual inflating

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/29/17 08:24 AM

I've heard opposite from marine police, BFL, and ABT. But that doesn't surprise me. Either way I always keep extras in the boat incase of emergency
Posted By: William

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/29/17 08:27 AM

I have an inflatable. I wear an old school vest from Bass Pro. No way I'm risking my life with a mechanical/chemical reaction. We almost lost a club member due to one of those inflatables.

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/29/17 08:48 AM

Basscat is right, it's all mechanical PFD's. That is why you must carry a regular floatation device in the boat too.
Posted By: skintback

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/29/17 09:26 AM

If its a type III or higher its good as a stand alone pfd, type I and type II requires it to be on the person, or its not counted as a pfd and must have a regular style pfd in the boat.

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/29/17 01:02 PM

Ok let me be clear on this. The law does not state you have to wear mechanical floatation to be legal. What the Marine Police said is that "if its written on or inside of the mechanical PFD that it's not a valid PFD unless being worn then its illegal" and he will write you a ticket unless you have the vest type in the boat with you. He then said that most of them say it must be worn to be a valid PFD. I can't state it any clearer that that.

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/29/17 08:38 PM

I don't think you have to have another vest. A throw cushion is ok.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/30/17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
I don't think you have to have another vest. A throw cushion is ok.

In Alabama a Type IV (throw cushion/ring) is only required to be on board if the vessel is 16' or longer. Legality of Type V depends on the information on the label of said PFD.

Re: Self inflating PFD. - 08/30/17 12:29 AM

What I was referring to Wiley is the need for another floatation device being needed. I was told a throw cushion would be ok, by a warden.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM