Aldeer.com

Any tarpon fishermen?

Posted By: perchjerker

Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/13/17 03:10 PM

watch 42" Tarpon being made. Beautiful work.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/13/17 03:40 PM

Very cool; may need one for the man cave
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/13/17 06:55 PM

That was pretty cool Larry.
Posted By: Peach

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/13/17 07:16 PM

That is cool! I have to have one of those. I tarpon fish about 50 days every summer.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/13/17 07:41 PM

One fish on my bucket list
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/13/17 10:03 PM

great fish, I've caught em from five pounds to one hundred seventy five pounds. Big one took 5 1/2 hours and seven miles to land. Five pounders in a ditch with a light fly rod are way more fun.

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/13/17 10:20 PM

I've fished Boca Grande pass several times for tarpon. A friend and I floated amognst the big cruisers a couple of times, throwing crab patterns on a fly rod. A 80-140 pound tarpon in that traffic is a clusterfk, fun, but hectic. And the cruiser captains call you all sorts of ugly names too shocked shocked grin

The mullet run in Oct off Stuart/Palm Beach is absolutely amazing. Poons, big sharks, and huge jacks blasting mullet all up and down the beach. Constant hookups.

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I've fished Boca Grande pass several times for tarpon. A friend and I floated amognst the big cruisers a couple of times, throwing crab patterns on a fly rod. A 80-140 pound tarpon in that traffic is a clusterfk, fun, but hectic. And the cruiser captains call you all sorts of ugly names too shocked shocked grin

The mullet run in Oct off Stuart/Palm Beach is absolutely amazing. Poons, big sharks, and huge jacks blasting mullet all up and down the beach. Constant hookups.

I used to make the trip to Boca Grande years ago. Crazy place. Lots of tarpon, tons of boats and swift current makes for an interesting trip! Any of you guys around the Navarre, Ft. Walton beach area this summer can pm me and I can almost guarantee you a tarpon off the piers. It is not unusual for Okaloosa Island pier to hook 50-100 tarpon per day.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaneomac2
One fish on my bucket list

x2

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 09:12 AM

Any of you guys that want a sample of our pier tarpon fishing, pm me your cell number and I will send you a video I took. Almost everyone on the end of the pier is fighting a tarpon. Pretty cool. I don't know how to post videos on this site but you can post it if you wish.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 09:17 AM

I've caught quite a few, biggest being 150 lbs. my grandfather was a fishing guide in the keys for 45 years and specialized in tarpon, permit, and bonefish. Paw paw troy even fished with him.

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 06:27 PM

ha, caught my first tarpon with him, Cal was a damn good guide.

When I arrived at the dock I got my fly rod out and told him I wanted to catch a tarpon on a fly. He said it was very unlikely I would do it with THAT outfit. It was an eight foot dry fly action seven/eight weight rod. LOL Late in the day we motored around a point and he cut the motor and told me to get up front with THAT rod. He told me to cast up under some limbs with my tarpon streamer. I made maybe one strip and a 30 pound tarpon ate the fly and exploded up INTO the overhanging limbs. I thought he was gone, but it ran out into open water and we finally landed it. I'm looking at it on the wall now these 49 YEARS later.

It takes a great guide to put a newbie 17 year old on a tarpon on a halfbaked fly outfit.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 06:50 PM

That's pretty cool. I'm gonna tarpon fish one day. I just haven't made time to do it yet.

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 06:52 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/DTala/internet%20forum/nickers002-2_zps6b5d5d55.jpg

somebody fix this for me, thanks

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
ha, caught my first tarpon with him, Cal was a damn good guide.

When I arrived at the dock I got my fly rod out and told him I wanted to catch a tarpon on a fly. He said it was very unlikely I would do it with THAT outfit. It was an eight foot dry fly action seven/eight weight rod. LOL Late in the day we motored around a point and he cut the motor and told me to get up front with THAT rod. He told me to cast up under some limbs with my tarpon streamer. I made maybe one strip and a 30 pound tarpon ate the fly and exploded up INTO the overhanging limbs. I thought he was gone, but it ran out into open water and we finally landed it. I'm looking at it on the wall now these 49 YEARS later.

It takes a great guide to put a newbie 17 year old on a tarpon on a halfbaked fly outfit.

Thanks for that story. I never heard that one. He was a damn good guide. I sure do miss him.

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 07:19 PM

There you go Troy. If I'm not mistaken, that's him behind that rail. Hard to see and that was before my time.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/14/17 09:50 PM

I'd be interested in knowing how much real time he had in making that. Cool video!

Re: Any tarpon fishermen? - 04/15/17 11:17 AM

thats him standing on the rear deck of his boat, behind the rail. I think I have a better pic somewhere, I'll look.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM