Aldeer.com

elk river catfish

Posted By: GobbleFever

elk river catfish - 06/20/11 04:22 PM

Did some jugging for catfish this weekend on the elk river in north Alabama using my new homemade self flagging noodle jugs. Wish I could take credit for the design but I saw it on the internet. However, these performed really well and I will most likely be making more! Ended up hooking up 6 fish total. I ended up keeping one nice 2-3lb blue cat and one channel cat that was probably 1 - 1 1/2lbs. Will be some nice eating. Caught a few smaller channel cats that I let go and had two nice catfish get off the line due to equipment malfuntion...of which I will be taking care of shortly so this won't happen again next time.

The catfish were hitting good from about 10am to noon or so right off the channel edge in about 5-7ft of water. I was using night crawlers and they were loving it.
Posted By: TR

Re: elk river catfish - 06/20/11 04:50 PM

Gobble, do you use circle hooks on yours? I switched to them a couple of years ago and love them.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: elk river catfish - 06/20/11 07:40 PM

Gobble, when we going?

Re: elk river catfish - 06/20/11 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TR
Gobble, do you use circle hooks on yours? I switched to them a couple of years ago and love them.

Yes, I use circle hooks. Ever since I switched to them, I just can't go back. They get hooked right in the corner of the mouth almost every time. You won't loose as many fish with circle hooks like you will the regular hooks and they work great for jugging.

Re: elk river catfish - 06/20/11 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT
Gobble, when we going?

Just let me know. I mean, it is a pretty far drive to get to your place so give me plenty of warning laugh

We were fishing down at 127 from kayaks when we caught those. Cats were biting really good.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: elk river catfish - 06/20/11 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: GobbleFever
Gobble, when we going?

Just let me know. I mean, it is a pretty far drive to get to your place so give me plenty of warning laugh

We were fishing down at 127 from kayaks when we caught those. Cats were biting really good.

That sounds like fun. Yeah it is a long drive isn't it laugh

Re: elk river catfish - 06/21/11 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: GobbleFever
Gobble, when we going?

That sounds like fun. Yeah it is a long drive isn't it laugh

We'll have to give it a try one weekend. Thinking about heading up to Veto this weekend to do some smallmouth fishing.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM