Aldeer.com

Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co

Posted By: GUT_SHOT

Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/03/16 11:21 PM

Hey, guys I'm look for any pointers on crappie fishing Big Creek Lake in Mobile CO. I've never fished it before so any advise is welcome.
Thanks
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/03/16 11:39 PM

The one and only crappie I ever caught I caught there on a count down rapala about 45 yrs ago. Then there were several coves full of cut timber. I was fishing one called "RED ROAD" Bass Fishing was awesome there before the put stripes in. 4 lb bass schooled on the surface the. Good Luck !
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/04/16 12:46 AM

What's your level of crappie fishing expertise? Have you ever done any trolling or spider rigging? Mainly a long pole in a minnow? Casting jigs? What kind of boat and set up do you have?
Posted By: GUT_SHOT

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/04/16 08:13 PM

Beadlescomb
I'm just starting out learning the crappie.I've done more bass fishing in 10-12 acre ponds in the past. I have a 18' bass tracker, within update fish/depth finder.
What I understand for crappie during this time of year is I'm looking for structure 20-25foot deep. I have multiple color jigs to try. i understand darker colors with less tail action work better this time of year, and as the water warms move to lighter colors more action, in in shallower water depth late spring/summer
any guidance is welcome

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/05/16 12:57 AM

I've got one bait I use year round and that's a black and chartreuse slider grub. For the price and quality you can't beat them. What's the max depth on that lake? Do you have any rod holders or a way to rig them up to troll four rods? Longline trolling is deadly this time of year. Tie two jigs per rod about 18 inches apart with a loop knot. Troll with the trolling motor and try to keep it right at 1mph. You'll catch fish if there are any in the lake. They should be staging up on points heading back into pockets right now
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/05/16 11:39 PM

This would NOT be my choice of lakes or bodies of water in south AL to start learning on......if you like enjoying time on the water with a cold beverage and fishing hours without a bite, it will be your kind of lake.

Not beings smartazz, just don't get your hopes up. It is a very difficult lake to learn. There are fish to be caught, but I would have a better chance getting a limit from three mile creek....

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/05/16 11:45 PM

I'd like to go try lake Shelby one day
Posted By: hammerhead

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/06/16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: alhawk
This would NOT be my choice of lakes or bodies of water in south AL to start learning on......if you like enjoying time on the water with a cold beverage and fishing hours without a bite, it will be your kind of lake.

Not beings smartazz, just don't get your hopes up. It is a very difficult lake to learn. There are fish to be caught, but I would have a better chance getting a limit from three mile creek....

+1

It is tough going out at Big Creek Lake. If you know anyone that fishes it a lot, your best bet would be to hook up with them and go a few times.
Posted By: bogey1

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/09/16 09:38 AM

good place to start is the sunken bridge to the north, well known spot but easy to find and holds fish, top of bridge is 17ft deep channel is about 28
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Big Creek Lake -Mobile Co - 02/09/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: alhawk

AGREE
© 2024 ALDEER.COM