Aldeer.com

Blueberry suggestions

Posted By: TR

Blueberry suggestions - 08/28/14 12:17 PM

Who in north Alabama grows blueberries and does well at it? I want to tear out some crepe myrtles on my garden lot and replace them with blueberries. What are the types that do well here? I plan on putting in at least 5 or 6 bushes. I am willing to pay a little more for larger bushes that should produce within a couple or three years. What are the tricks for making them grow and produce?
Posted By: gman

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 08/28/14 12:37 PM

Bill Mullins in Meridianville has a nice blueberry patch and does well with them. There is another blueberry patch in nw madison county...but i don't know the owner of it. If you're gonna plant 6 bushes...make it 3 diff varieties. That's what i was told when I planted mine. I just messed up and didn't put them in a "well drained" area. They don't like wet ground!
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 08/28/14 02:03 PM

We have a bunch of them, if it will help, you more than welcome to get some of these. I'll help you dig em. thumbup
Posted By: GROUPERKING

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 11/23/14 01:49 AM

Add peat moss to your soil and make sure your ph is between 4.5 and 5.5 . Add sulfur to lower it. Never use fertilizers that have nitrogen from nitrate ,only use the ammonium base nitrogen fertilizers.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 11/23/14 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: GROUPERKING
Add peat moss to your soil and make sure your ph is between 4.5 and 5.5 . Add sulfur to lower it. Never use fertilizers that have nitrogen from nitrate ,only use the ammonium base nitrogen fertilizers.

Good advice here..ammonium sulfate is also a good fertilizer choice get your P and K correct before you plant your bushes and don't forget to mulch them with pine bark

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 11/25/14 07:48 AM

Put 5 in the ground a couple of weeks ago. Bought 5 varieties of rabbit eye bushes and planted them in a big hole with aged pine bark in the lower third of the hole with potting soil mixed with peat moss on top. Will mulch with pine bark shortly.

Thanks for the offer of free bushes DW. If you were a little closer I would have taken you up on it.
Posted By: hgmike

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 11/26/14 12:56 AM

TR let me know how that goes and which ones do the best. I've been interested in planting some.

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 11/26/14 09:40 PM

Ok. I left the tags on them so I can keep up with the varieties.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 12/02/14 06:52 PM

I ended up ordering Ochlockonee. Everything I read on them was good. I only wanted 2 plants because from all I have ever seen out of a blueberry bush is that they put out a ton of fruit.

If anyone is ordering from isons I have a free shipping code you can use. I hope all of my stuff comes in soon. I'm ready to get it all in the ground.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 12/03/14 01:21 PM

Well, I ended up ordering tiftblue, climax, and brightwell. I also ordered some blackberries and muscadines. I'll definitely be using alot of the advice in this thread. Let the orchard begin!
Posted By: Geezer

Re: Blueberry suggestions - 12/04/14 08:07 PM

Wish you luck keep us updated. I love to learn even at 76. Man time flies.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM