Aldeer.com

Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant

Posted By: mike35549

Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant - 01/27/14 09:05 PM

Does anyone on here plant any if so what kind do you have the best luck with. I want to plant some but don't know which kind to plant.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant - 01/27/14 09:11 PM

I planted several different varieties last year and they all produced poorly. Could of been the weather though....lots of lots of rain....
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant - 01/27/14 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I planted several different varieties last year and they all produced poorly. Could of been the weather though....lots of lots of rain....

Last year was pretty rough tomato growing weather. My hybrids didn't do well either, so I think much of it was weather. Having said that, IMO heirlooms don't have near the disease resistance to make it half a season here. My dad is dead set on planting heirlooms this year. I told him we would have to plant tomatoes every month to have a crop all the way until fall.

Mike, the only heirloom I've ever tried is a pink German. They are good tomatoes and have potato shaped leaves. They grow large fruit and the green tomatoes off them will keep well into winter if you pull them right before the first frost.
Posted By: Shed Master

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant - 02/03/14 08:41 PM

I have had good luck with Atkins and Rutgers.
Posted By: TChunter

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant - 02/04/14 01:46 PM

Lat year was way too wet and stink bugs were BAD. I hope this cool winter will knock em back a little.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant - 02/04/14 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TChunter
Lat year was way too wet and stink bugs were BAD. I hope this cool winter will knock em back a little.

I was thinking the same thing. All garden bugs were bad. Last year I tried the organic bug repellent with little luck. I'm over it this year, keeping a pump up sprayer full of liquid 7.
Posted By: tim1980

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes what kind to plant - 02/05/14 03:35 PM

Last year sucked for tomatoes. I've never had very good luck with heirlooms, but that's all my brother and dad plant. I have a lot better luck with the hybrids. I like the German queen varities the best of the heirlooms.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM