Aldeer.com

Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe

Posted By: FurFlyin

Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/13/19 10:44 PM

My hoe came in today. I’ve been using it about an hour. It is fantastic. We have a bad grass problem here with crabgrass and goosegrass. They are both hard to dig up with a standard hoe. No issue with this thing. I’m just floating it about a half inch below the surface of the soil and it’s peeling it up like sod.

I just prepared 4 rows to plant with it by scooting it an inch or so under the surface. Other than some clods where the ground was hard it looks like I tillered it.

When I got it out of the box it wasn’t very sharp so I honed it til it was, which didn’t take long. I’ve hit a bunch of rocks and a steel spring where the trampoline died and the blade has no knicks in it.

So far I give it a 9/10. It’s pretty heavy which at first I didn’t think I’d like but since you don’t chop with it the weight doesn’t matter. When I get my garden soil back in shape it will be a breeze to use.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/13/19 11:00 PM

Did you get a left handed one?

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/13/19 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
Did you get a left handed one?

Yessir.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/14/19 01:01 AM

Sounds like a gooden, I’ve been using the Rogue brand hoe for a few weeks now. It works really well also. I took a flat file to it this afternoon and put a nice edge back on it.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/18/19 01:16 PM

Im thinkin bout gettin one of these hoes but i was wonderin..which handle did you get, the fiberglass or the ash?

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/18/19 02:18 PM

I got the ash handle. I detest fiberglass handles in anything.

I asked him to send me an unfinished handle in mine but apparently he gets them pre-finished because he said he couldn’t do that. I’ll end up sanding the poly off mine and using an oil finish. Tung oil or something like that.

I really, really like the hoe. The more that I use it. the better I like it. When the weeds are small you can just drags the hoe under the soil and cut the weeds off and they don’t have enough energy left in the roots to put out again.

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/18/19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I got the ash handle. I detest fiberglass handles in anything.

I asked him to send me an unfinished handle in mine but apparently he gets them pre-finished because he said he couldn’t do that. I’ll end up sanding the poly off mine and using an oil finish. Tung oil or something like that.

I really, really like the hoe. The more that I use it. the better I like it. When the weeds are small you can just drags the hoe under the soil and cut the weeds off and they don’t have enough energy left in the roots to put out again.

DANG YOU!!! You’re gonna make me order one. As you can see in my pics, I need one bad.

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/18/19 04:19 PM

Im gonna get one..i been savin my nickles an i was gonna get me a rogue but i dont see anything i couldnt do with the rogue i could do better with this thing..shnazzy little deal.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/18/19 05:02 PM

You could get several hoes and some hoers I guess..............
Posted By: blade

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/18/19 08:53 PM

I ordered one last week, hasn't shipped yet.

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/18/19 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
DANG YOU!!! You’re gonna make me order one. As you can see in my pics, I need one bad.

You won't regret it.

Originally Posted by blade
I ordered one last week, hasn't shipped yet.

That guy doesn't get in a hurry. Did you call them or order online?

If any of you get one, get the longer handle. The short handle is for people 5' 2" and under according to the guy that designed and sells the hoes. When you get it, you'll be surprised how heavy it is. The handle is also about the same size as a shovel handle, not your typical hoe handle. Being heavy is a good thing, because it keeps you from having to push down on it much. You don't use as much of a hoeing motion with these as much as a raking motion.

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/19/19 02:21 AM

I ordered on line. Got notice a little while ago it shipped. I got the longer handle. All he had in stock was the fiberglass.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/19/19 03:07 PM

I despise anything except a wooden handle myself. But i own a new craftsman hoe with a fiber glass handle cause i had no options at that time. I wonder how much these hoes cost yall speak of?

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/19/19 03:52 PM

$59
Posted By: Stob

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/19/19 04:58 PM

Nothing beats a good left handed hoe.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/20/19 04:59 PM

I just ordered one heron and one of the honey bees

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/29/19 07:35 PM

Finally got mine. It is a fine tool.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/29/19 08:19 PM

Is it the type that's open in the middle and you can push or pull to cut ..... ??

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/29/19 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Is it the type that's open in the middle and you can push or pull to cut ..... ??

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/30/19 01:58 AM

Got mine today

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 06/30/19 02:03 AM

I hope you guys line your H&C’s as much as I like mine. Only thing I did to mine was sharpened it. It isn’t shaving sharp but it’s pretty dang close.

Re: Hooke and Crooke “Heron” hoe - 07/01/19 04:50 PM

I actually bought me a scuffle or stirrup hoe the same day i was gonna order the h&c..i shapened the fool out of it and so far its been awsome. $19.99 was the price..i liked that
© 2024 ALDEER.COM