Aldeer.com

Y'all plant anything different this year?

Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 06:02 PM

I like trying new stuff. This year I tried Mr Stripey maters, black cherry maters, Giant Marconi peppers, and mammoth sunflowers.

I also planted Christmas limas, but I've planted them before. My grandparents have grown them for years.

I'm most interested in the Mr Stripeys. Anybody else plant these or something new and interesting?
Posted By: rothirsch

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 06:16 PM

Can't grow mater or peppers here my wiener dogs eat them before the get ripe
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 06:58 PM

I've tried the mr. Stripies. Didn't make for me.

All my experiments are done in my fall garden. The heat gets too tough quick.

Had good luck with English peas this winter. My kids like leseur early peas,so they took to them.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 07:19 PM

You will like those giant Marconi peppers, the more you pick them the more they produce.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 07:38 PM

I finally got matters to grow in buckets. So far so good anyway.

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Skinny
You will like those giant Marconi peppers, the more you pick them the more they produce.

My grandmother gave me the plant. Are they sweet? Looks like they need sausage and cream cheese stuffed into them to me. smile
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 09:08 PM

They are like a Bell Pepper only sweeter.
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/09/16 09:29 PM

We planted a lemon boy tomatoe i believe. Its a big tomatoe but yellow when its ripe. So they say......
Posted By: Flatrockrunner

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/10/16 06:12 AM

I planted some Cherokee purple tomato and spaghetti squash.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/10/16 10:03 AM

Planted Brussel Sprouts and cabbage over the winter, with limited success...we've got Celebrity tomatoes this year, and they're making at least 3x more than anything we've ever done before...unbelievable, so far! I've got a new-to-me pepper I'm kind of stumbling along with...I'll be taking those up to my Mom later today, she can bury a rock and grow a boulder out of it, so I figure she can help the peppers get their feet underneath them! smile Got a late start on Moon & Stars watermelon, but they're going, now...late is ok, they're going into a bed where they should do fine...once they're in, I'll trellis those vines, just to see how they do.
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/10/16 10:56 AM

Trying watermelon and cantaloupe this year.

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/10/16 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: DEADorALIVE
Planted Brussel Sprouts and cabbage over the winter, with limited success...we've got Celebrity tomatoes this year, and they're making at least 3x more than anything we've ever done before...unbelievable, so far! I've got a new-to-me pepper I'm kind of stumbling along with...I'll be taking those up to my Mom later today, she can bury a rock and grow a boulder out of it, so I figure she can help the peppers get their feet underneath them! smile Got a late start on Moon & Stars watermelon, but they're going, now...late is ok, they're going into a bed where they should do fine...once they're in, I'll trellis those vines, just to see how they do.

I've thought about trying to trellis the cantaloupes. I trellis cucumbers with lots of sucess.
Posted By: willfish4food

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/10/16 02:23 PM

I trellised cantaloupes one year. Worked pretty good. I made little hammocks out of old sheets so the melons wouldn't pull the vine off the trellis when they got big. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Re: Y'all plant anything different this year? - 05/10/16 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: willfish4food
I trellised cantaloupes one year. Worked pretty good. I made little hammocks out of old sheets so the melons wouldn't pull the vine off the trellis when they got big. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

I've googled it before. There are some varieties that will hang without a sling. I've also seen old panty hose used as a sling.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM