Aldeer.com

Favorite and best producing tomato

Posted By: muzziehead

Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/14/16 09:42 AM

I am getting ready to plant my 6 tomato plants that I plant every year and wanted to see which ones you guys prefer. I like a good acidic tomato but my wife has to have at least Cherokee Purple plants and the rest are up to me.

I have usually planted hybrids or Big Boy or Better Boy, but last years yields were not good. I have a very small raised bed that is 5' x 3', so I want to make sure I get some good ones this year. Also, do you plant determinate or indeterminate plants.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/14/16 10:22 AM

I have settled on Better Boys after trying just about every dang tomato plant out there....
Posted By: jsh1904

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/14/16 11:34 AM

I love romas personally. Outside of that, better boys work well.
Posted By: JEM270

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/14/16 01:00 PM

I always have good luck with better boys. I also plant another variety just to compare.
Posted By: TChunter

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/14/16 02:38 PM

Romas produce great and are good for making salsa but are crap for eating IMO. I love the cherokee purple and sunfires for sammiches. The sunfires produce great when it gets scorching hot and dont require near as much water. They are super rich in flavor.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/14/16 09:29 PM

C.P. For me too. I'm not a big mater person but I enjoy these
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/15/16 09:14 AM

Better Boys for me.

Cherokee Purple tomatoes taste good but they have huge green spots in them and half of them are wasted.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/15/16 10:55 AM

One of the best tasting sammich maters to me is the Beefsteak, but it also has that hard green core in a lot of them.
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/15/16 10:58 AM

I'm a big fan of Better Boys. Grew up on them, but now I live much further south, and I've noticed they don't make as good.

I tried Big Beef last summer, which a lot of folks are high on. It didn't produce well either.

Every year I plant several experiments, along with some heirlooms. I'm trying Celebrity to see how it holds up for a main crop tomato.

Those of you who like Cherokee Purple should try Paul Robeson. It's a very good tomato. I'm also trying Cherokee Carbon for the first time this summer. It's supposed to be a really good tomato.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/16/16 07:51 AM

We generally stick with Better Boys just because they are predictable. I always do a couple of Super 100's Cherry tomatoes as well cause those suckers really produce well and our kids eat them like candy.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/16/16 09:25 AM

super 100 for red cherry and sun gold for yellow cherry maters..every year.
Posted By: Brian_C

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/16/16 05:16 PM

Anyone plant any of the Bonnie's Best? I bought a couple the other day and wonder how they produce and taste.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/16/16 05:49 PM

Cherokee purple heirloom tomatoes hands down
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/16/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian_C
Anyone plant any of the Bonnie's Best? I bought a couple the other day and wonder how they produce and taste.

I started a thread on being disgruntled with Bonnie and their high prices a while back (you can scroll down and find it). $3.68 on a single pepper or tomato is way to high for doing regular garden planting.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/17/16 08:15 PM

Potted 3 better boys from Bonnie a little while ago. I bought the six pack though and it wasn't very pricey.
Posted By: rst87

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/18/16 09:16 AM

A friend of mine gave some brandy wine plants. They are a heirloom. They taste great but had to be babied and were not the greatest producers
Posted By: G/H

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/19/16 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Skinny
Originally Posted By: Brian_C

I started a thread on being disgruntled with Bonnie and their high prices a while back (you can scroll down and find it). $3.68 on a single pepper or tomato is way to high for doing regular garden planting.

If I buy single plants, Home Depot usually have them 4 for $10.
Posted By: J_C

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/19/16 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Gobl4me
Cherokee purple heirloom tomatoes hands down
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/20/16 08:36 PM

Better boys here.
Posted By: Bullwinkle

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/21/16 08:43 AM

I just got through planting my stuff this week. I have a few early girls and the rest I planted were Bella Rose. I've had great luck with the Bella Rose the last several years. Not a big giant tomato but sure does taste good to me.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/21/16 01:10 PM

Cherokee Purple are my favorite for taste. Another that I planted this year that seems to be new to the market is an Indigo Rose. Smaller than the Cherokee but supposed to taste better. We will see.
Posted By: bama1157

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/25/16 08:11 AM

I tried a couple Rutgers plants last year last year and switched to just them this year the are heirloom and I didn't have the problems with them that I had with the Cherokee Purple and they are just as good to me...
Posted By: Steffan

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/28/16 09:21 PM

Try lemon boy .
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 04/28/16 10:06 PM

I HATE Bonnie plants. Their tomatoes seem to come already diseased from the nusery.

We either grow our own or buy our plants at a local family owned greenhouse. For those in this area, it's Blanks Berry Farm and it's just south of the Albertville Airport, about 1/2 mile off Hwy 75, on Needmore Road.
Posted By: WinstonVizsla

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 05/15/16 07:52 PM

Aunt gerties hold is the best tomato I've ever grown, they're massive, yellow, and very acidic. Cherokee purple is about the best you can get at a local store and not have to order seeds from a specialty shop.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 05/17/16 02:18 PM

Always have had great results with Bonnie. Trying the Marion tomato this year, and some cherry tomatoes that I can't remember the name.
Posted By: Geezer

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 05/19/16 05:01 AM

Regardless of what you chose try this on just one plant and see if it makes a difference. Dig your hole with a post hold digger or shovel put a banana and raw egg in the bottom, cover with some dirt then put about two tea spoon of Epsom salt on the dirt. Water really good then put your tomato in and put the rest of dirt in the hole. Read up on what Epson salt will do for your plants. I am trying it this year. I have 29 tomato plants some I used the banana, egg, and Epson salt and so far I have not lost one plant and they look great. Happy gardening.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 05/19/16 09:54 AM

I am a big fan of celebrity. They did real good for me last year. I also planted a couple Cherokee purple for the first time this year but they aren't doing that well.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Favorite and best producing tomato - 05/19/16 06:37 PM

My favorite is Amelia. I always plant sweet 100s too for the kids. I had a Cherokee purple but it didn't like the ground I put it in.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM