Aldeer.com

Looking for advice on a dog.

Posted By: x6001

Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/20/16 06:40 AM

Looking for a good hunting/companion dog, would like something for the woods and around the house, not an inside dog. My boy is 11 years old and loves to squirrel hunt and I enjoy that and all other types of hunting. I grew up dog hunting and don’t do that anymore, but we always had Walkers. I live in the country on six acres. I have thought about something akin to a fiest or a redbone, yeah I know two totally opposite breeds. I don’t want a dog with too much energy because I just don’t have the time to try to work with it or calm it down. Labs are definitely out of the question. Oh, and like most people I don’t have a ton of money to spend on one. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Jamie
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/20/16 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: x6001
Looking for a good hunting/companion dog, would like something for the woods and around the house, not an inside dog. My boy is 11 years old and loves to squirrel hunt and I enjoy that and all other types of hunting. I grew up dog hunting and don’t do that anymore, but we always had Walkers. I live in the country on six acres. I have thought about something akin to a fiest or a redbone, yeah I know two totally opposite breeds. I don’t want a dog with too much energy because I just don’t have the time to try to work with it or calm it down. Labs are definitely out of the question. Oh, and like most people I don’t have a ton of money to spend on one. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Mountain feist or mountain cur
Posted By: CNC

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/20/16 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
Mountain feist or mountain cur

I agree...good choices.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/20/16 10:26 AM

I've got a Feist, great dog, really smart and gets after the squirrels even though I don't really squirrel hunt it. But she is a ball of energy, loves to play. Keeps her self pretty well occupied when outside in the yard by herself though.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/20/16 12:49 PM

I'd venture to guess most hunting breeds are going to have a lot of energy. maybe some kind of spaniel. I have a gsp that is a great multi purpose dog, but they have a crazy amount of energy. 6 acres should be able to keep even the most energetic dogs happy though

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/20/16 09:44 PM

My mountain feist is pretty laid back. She gets excited when I get in from work. But she's wide azz open when that tailgate drops and it's time to go hunt
Posted By: x6001

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/21/16 05:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I had been considering a Feist so that will probably be it. Thanks again y'all.

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/21/16 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: x6001
Thanks for the advice. I had been considering a Feist so that will probably be it. Thanks again y'all.

Let me know when you get serious about getting one. I know a few guys
Posted By: volfan

Re: Looking for advice on a dog. - 10/21/16 12:44 PM

Blackmouth Cur
© 2024 ALDEER.COM