Aldeer.com

powder issues.

Posted By: collardncornbread

powder issues. - 12/07/17 10:32 AM

I opened a box of 777 pellets this mornin. This box has never been opened. Still had the seal on it. I have had it in the cabinet for a year.
I loaded a 100 gr charge and used a 777 primer from a new box.
it went poof... bullet made it about 25 yards.
Icleaned the rifle with a brush. Reloaded it and used one of my winshester primers.
same results. POOF. WENT 25 YARDS.
Have yall ever heard of 777 going bad??
Ive never had this happen before.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: powder issues. - 12/07/17 12:28 PM

I shot 777 pellets for years and never had them go bad in a box kept inside, loaded too long in the gun yes, but not in a sealed box. Do they look normal?
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: powder issues. - 12/07/17 08:56 PM

Sounds like a primer not producing enough spark to ignite the powder but having enough to push the pellets and bullet out. Definitely a weird one

Re: powder issues. - 12/07/17 08:57 PM

Not really. I noticed when I broke the seal. Some were nice and charcoal black. Others looked like a grey and black mix.
Later today I went back and loaded my cva optima with the white hot pellets , using the same winchester primers and it shot nice and crisp.
I think the 777 pellets went bad. I had them in the house never opened so im not sure if they were bad when I got them or not. I wont return them to the store because I have had them for about a year.
however, I shot pyrodex in my old sidelock for many years and I had some for 25 years in a used but sealed can. I had it in my shop. It burned nice and hot when I got rid of it. Not trying to say which powder is best. I just want it to shoot if a buck steps out...

Re: powder issues. - 12/07/17 09:07 PM

On the primers. I had the same results with two different brand primers this morning. Then the same primers with another powder. I feel sure I can eliminate the primer being the cause.
I did have trouble with granulated powder 2 years ago. It had been shooting excellent. I had a big 8 point walk out and it snapped. I was confused as to why. I called CVA. after we talked I found out the breech plug I have is for pellets only. But that was my fault for not knowing my rifle.
I am thinking about buying one of their breech plugs for granulated powder. I shot black horn for a while and liked it.and like I said I shot pyrodex R S for many years before that. Pyrodex is a little dirty but it always fired.
Posted By: Hayzeus

Re: powder issues. - 12/07/17 10:04 PM

Real black powder is the best. It doesn't go bad.
Posted By: MLHunter

Re: powder issues. - 12/07/17 10:06 PM

Which CVA rifle do you have?

Re: powder issues. - 12/08/17 06:57 AM

I am shooting a CVA Optima. With the flat face breech plug.

Hayzeus.. I have a friend who has told me that for 40 years but I dont know where to buy Goex. Do they still make it?
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: powder issues. - 12/08/17 09:15 AM

It does sound like the pellets went bad, I wonder if you did a internet search by lot number if it would turn up any others having problems the the same lot??? First thing I did when I got my Optima V2 was buy a Blackhorn breech plug for it. I got the CVA plug but I think that Blackhorn also makes a plug for it.
Posted By: Elkman

Re: powder issues. - 12/08/17 12:40 PM

I'm new to the forum.
But I was in the Gold mine in Daphne.
They have goex powder.
Hope this helps.

Re: powder issues. - 12/08/17 12:43 PM

Thanks. Im not far from there. Ill try it.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: powder issues. - 12/10/17 10:39 AM

Pyrodex Select for me in my rifle. It will not group with any combination of pellets and RS is iffy.
Posted By: Steve-ALA

Re: powder issues. - 12/13/17 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Hayzeus
Real black powder is the best. It doesn't go bad.

x2
Posted By: Clem

Re: powder issues. - 12/14/17 12:24 PM

If I shot my muzzleloader(s) more frequently or that's what I used all the time, I'd have the freshest pellets and primers possible. I know they're not supposed to go bad in sealed containers inside, but humidity-heat-cold-whatever all can have an effect.

The diehard guys I talk with don't use old pellets or primers. They buy new for the range work and then for hunting, each year.

Speaking of blackpowder, the real stuff, where's the best place to get it in the Huntsville area or is there one?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM