Aldeer.com

New cva

Posted By: Conecuhbuckz4

New cva - 11/03/17 12:25 PM

Bought me a new cva accurra MR last week. Never owned/shot a muzzleloader. I bought 250grain hornady sabots, 777 magnum powder, and Remington primers. Going to shoot Sunday afternoon to get er' tuned in. Anyone have any experience with this brand? If so, what's the best loads y'all have as far as accuracy? Thanks

I'll be using 2 pellets which is 120grams of power.
Posted By: top cat

Re: New cva - 11/03/17 03:49 PM

Good gun. Enjoy it. Clean it when you get it dialed in. thumbup
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: New cva - 11/03/17 04:53 PM

4 ounces may be excessive
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: New cva - 11/04/17 02:07 AM

How so you like it? I've been looking at the same rifle
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: New cva - 11/04/17 07:36 AM

Welcome to the front stuffer world! It is somewhat addictive trying different combinations of powder and bullets to see what it likes. The Optima I had that my son has now shoots 110 grains blackhorn 209, harvester crush rib sabots and 250 grain SST very well, about 1" at a 100. My Apex does real well with the same combo, although this year I have switched to Harvester PT gold 260 grain bullets. I shoot my Omega at a small farm with several houses in the area so it gets loaded lighter, 80 grains blackhorn, harvester crush rib sabot under a 300 grain xtp.

I don't have any experience with the magnum pellets, but used to shoot 777 and pyrodex pellets. I had a Knight that I killed a pile of deer with shooting pellets and 250 grain xtp's. Since the pellets don't allow you to vary your charge, you might need to try a couple different bullet/sabot combos to see what your gun likes. My guess is what you have will shoot minute of deer all day long.

The pellets will have a tendency to build a "crud ring" about 2-3 inches above bottom of barrel. Mix you some swab solution from windex and alcohol and swab about every 2-3 shots. This will make getting the bullet seated a lot easier. Also take a small drill bit, I think 1/8, and about every 5th shot HAND spin it in the 209 primmer pocket. The shotgun primers burn dirty and keeping the pocket clean helps with ignition and accuracy.

Good luck and post up any questions you come up with!
Posted By: n2deer

Re: New cva - 11/04/17 01:47 PM

Should work fine for you. Just keep them clean and they will last forever.

You mean 120 grains?
Posted By: CVAwolf

Re: New cva - 11/05/17 12:12 PM

I got a CVA Wolf all black last year. I've only shot 100 gr pyrodex, 777 primer and Powerbelt 295 gr. I bought a Konus Pro 275 3-9x40 also. Less than 1in with a solid rest. So these power belts/gun is extremely accurate.

Re: New cva - 11/06/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: CVAwolf
I got a CVA Wolf all black last year. I've only shot 100 gr pyrodex, 777 primer and Powerbelt 295 gr. I bought a Konus Pro 275 3-9x40 also. Less than 1in with a solid rest. So these power belts/gun is extremely accurate.

Keep in mind that some powerbelts are a soft lead bullet with a copper wash, not made like a basic cup and core bullet. They kill deer just fine, killed 5 one season using the 295 grain hollow points. Try to stay away from the shoulder with them, I shoot them like my bow, double lung em!

Re: New cva - 11/07/17 04:27 PM

Got er dialed in Sunday afternoon. Took about 5 shots from 100yards. 2" high at 100yards. It is sweet shooting. Now for the cleaning part. I bought a cleaning kit. Gonna run some cleaner down barrel and swab it out. My buddies say hot water and soap is best. May go that route

Re: New cva - 11/08/17 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Conecuhbuckz4
Got er dialed in Sunday afternoon. Took about 5 shots from 100yards. 2" high at 100yards. It is sweet shooting. Now for the cleaning part. I bought a cleaning kit. Gonna run some cleaner down barrel and swab it out. My buddies say hot water and soap is best. May go that route

The hotter the water the better, getting the barrel hot also helps it dry quickly. I wouldn't oil the barrel, just make sure it is completely dry. Before you load it to hunt next week pop a couple of primers and then run a patch through it. My Omega is the only muzzleloader I have owned that shot to the same POI with a clean barrel.

Re: New cva - 11/08/17 07:57 AM

Ok thanks! No oil! Going to clean it this afternoon when I get to Tennessee and shoot a couple primers through it.
Posted By: CVAwolf

Re: New cva - 11/08/17 01:55 PM

Couseneddy thanks. I've seen some pictures of the 295 PB after being shot into a deer and it seemed to hold together fine. Just a big mushroom.

I've yet to shoot a deer with it so I can't contest the photo. Of course the difficult thing would be finding the shot unless it stayed inside..Guess that's where that photo came from.
Posted By: SkipJack

Re: New cva - 11/10/17 10:01 PM

I have the same gun and it's a shooter! I run 2 pellets of white hots with the power belts and get about 1moa @100.

For cleaning I use the CVA bore cleaner with a brush and then run dry patches thru it, takes 5 minutes. Make sure you clean the breech plug good and clean/clear the hole for the primer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM